2012 Coaching Carousel Catch All Thread

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Since I asked the question, I'll chime in...

Wisconsin, on the surface, would look like the best choice. The problem, though, is that they put very little money into their program. Bielema complained that his assitants could never get a raise, because they had a cap on it at Wisconsin. While assitant coach pay has increased on average by 300% in the last 10 years, there it hasn't changed. Keeping a good staff would be tough.

Texas Tech, to me, is the worst spot. You're not even considered the little sister school in Lubbock anymore. With Texas and aTm sitting in different conferences now, and the emergence of TCU and Baylor, you are like the ugly second cousin who has to go to the dance with her dad every year. While Texas has the largest pipe line of recruits, if I were a prospect Tech would be at best 5th on my list just in state.

Colorado would probably be my choice. Great environment? Check. Close enough to California and Texas to garner recruits? Check. LOW expectations, and a long leash thanks to the administration dropping the ball on the Embree firing? Check! You aren't going to win a ton of games any time soon, but with the right coach and the right system, you can be a middle tier Pac12 program within a couple of years (imo).

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Colorado would probably be my choice. Great environment? Check. Close enough to California and Texas to garner recruits? Check. LOW expectations, and a long leash thanks to the administration dropping the ball on the Embree firing? Check! You aren't going to win a ton of games any time soon, but with the right coach and the right system, you can be a middle tier Pac12 program within a couple of years (imo).
My disagreement would be based on the expectations. It sure seems like Colorado should have low expectations, but they really didn't wait around long this time around. I suspect that they, like Texas Tech, have grossly inflated expectations. Wisconsin has similar expectations, but at least the players and system is already in place, if not the money for assistant coaches.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
My disagreement would be based on the expectations. It sure seems like Colorado should have low expectations, but they really didn't wait around long this time around. I suspect that they, like Texas Tech, have grossly inflated expectations. Wisconsin has similar expectations, but at least the players and system is already in place, if not the money for assistant coaches.
Keep in mind that Colorado ranks 23rd on the All-Time win list (and were at #19 before Embree took over) They don't have the proud tradition that we do, but that doesn't mean they have low expectations as a fanbase.

John Embree took over a 5-7 team and promptly lead them to 3-10 in 2011 and 1-11 this year. It wasn't about waiting around & it wasn't about impatience. 2012 Colorado was one of the worst teams I've ever seen. They gave up 475 points last season and 552 points this season. Those were the 2 worst scoring defenses in Colorado history and they both happened to come during Embree's 2 seasons. That's not a coincidence.

This isn't directed at you, I've just seen tons of stuff in the media that Embree wasn't given much time because of the color of his skin. That's a disservice to all parties involved. Colorado grew worse nearly every single game under Embree. That's why he was let go after only 2 seasons. They showed zero progress.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Colorado position filled
Great hire by Colorado... Can't believe I'm saying that. MacIntyre did a great job at SJSU, and instead of hiring someone who took a 1-12 team and made them 6-7 (Turner Gill, Derek Dooley, etc.), he actually took a 1-12 team and won 10 games within 3 years, and has them ranked. He's a good recruiter and has a good, albeit short, record.
He may bomb, but it is a good risk for them to take. My only thought is that it seems a little too similar to Dan Hawkins... Either way, if he can lock down the state in recruiting, that would be enough to make them better.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Great hire by Colorado... Can't believe I'm saying that. MacIntyre did a great job at SJSU, and instead of hiring someone who took a 1-12 team and made them 6-7 (Turner Gill, Derek Dooley, etc.), he actually took a 1-12 team and won 10 games within 3 years, and has them ranked. He's a good recruiter and has a good, albeit short, record.
He may bomb, but it is a good risk for them to take. My only thought is that it seems a little too similar to Dan Hawkins... Either way, if he can lock down the state in recruiting, that would be enough to make them better.
As Embree said on his way out, the program's issues run way deeper than the head coach. Apparently, there is absolutely zero commitment to the program from the administration (Embree gave an example of how he requested chairs for his players to have at team meetings and wound up having to buy them out of his own pocket!) So good luck to Coach MacIntyre and the Buffs, but it looks as if the head coaching position isn't all that needs changing

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
As Embree said on his way out, the program's issues run way deeper than the head coach. Apparently, there is absolutely zero commitment to the program from the administration (Embree gave an example of how he requested chairs for his players to have at team meetings and wound up having to buy them out of his own pocket!) So good luck to Coach MacIntyre and the Buffs, but it looks as if the head coaching position isn't all that needs changing
I would say any program that has been as low as Colorado for as long as Colorado has problems that extend beyond the head coach. But, they were doing pretty well until the scandal(s) hit under Barnett. Then, the program had to be completely recharged, and it never happened. I am sure some of that is the President's fault.
But, last go 'round, they hired Jon Embree. They needed someone who could get stars from Colorado to want to go to college at CU, and he never had recruited.
At least this time they got the hire right. Doesn't mean Colorado football is fixed. They did, however, make the right hire.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
Temple to interview Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Todd Bowles.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...Eagles-defensive-coordinator-Todd-Bowles.html

Also, this paragraph that listed other candidates was in this article.

According to sources, others to have interviewed thus far include New York Giants offensive line coach Matt Ruhle, Miami defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio, Temple defensive coordinator Chuck Heater, Ohio State receivers coach Stan Drayton and former Florida International head coach Mario Cristobal.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
All that really matters in the end is that he is a good boy while he working for you... But it will be his first time... Let's only hope.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Whatever Stoops brother took the Kentucky job is probably not happy. Coaching at UK is bad enough without having to worry about Petrino getting your recruits.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Seeing where Tee Martin has declined to come back to Knoxville and be a part of Butch Jones' staff.
that's a bit surprising. Figured he'd be handing out travelers checks from "non boosters" in Mobile for recruits.

Can't say I blame him however. If I were him I wouldn't go near that place. TN fans treated him like garbage even after winning the National Title. I asked a UT friend when they were naming a street "peyton manning pass" if there was a "Tee Martin Way" planned all I got in return was a cold stare. I still don't understand why they names a street after a guy that didn't win a championship and totally blew off the guy that did

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.