Link: Univ of Tennessee campus ranked one of ugliest in country -- again

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I gotta take you to task on that one Earle. I think we count tickets sold because I've seen quite a few empty seats and the "official attendance" was announced as stadium capacity. It was obvious we weren't counting the number of tickets torn at the gates.
Counting tickets sold is more honest. I don't know of any other venue that counts the hired help and the athletes.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I gotta take you to task on that one Earle. I think we count tickets sold because I've seen quite a few empty seats and the "official attendance" was announced as stadium capacity. It was obvious we weren't counting the number of tickets torn at the gates.
You're correct. I just misspoke. We do count tickets sold. We don't count staff and every other living soul in the stadium...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Funny thing, the worst experience I've had in that place involved a Bama fan. An older lady sitting in the box seats up and behind me (I wasn't even really in her direct line of sight) was literally yelling at me to sit down after the 2nd play of the game. I ignored her and stayed standing until the "security guard" or whatever came and told me, "I can't make you sit down, but do the right thing man." Sitting down at a football game is doing the right thing? I never have understood the crowd that wants to go to a live football game and sit and be quiet...

That rant aside, Neyland is kind of a dump.
The worst I remember there was when we beat them with Fran. There were a few of us Bama fans scattered around the end zone. It happened that we were sitting near a group of about five or six coeds, who'd been drinking. One of them would turn around at every good thing that happened for Bama or bad for UT and taunt the crowd. Finally, in the second half, the girl had to go to the restroom. A UT matron stood up and refused to let her pass. I thought it was going to develop into a fight. However, the girl turned around and exited the aisle the other way. I sort of held my breath the rest of the game. They had a bunch of security personnel about the size of Junior and Lulu that ringed the field at the end, facing outwards towards the crowd. They really looked grim. Our team didn't want to leave the field. They first went down to the EZ where the band was and then they came up to our end. They must have stayed on the field a good 15-20 minutes, some of them smoking cigars...

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Having lived in Knoxville, and visiting there frequently in my life, I can't agree more. The UT Campus is by far, of all the campuses I have been on in my lifetime, the worst that is not followed by the words "Community College" (worse then some of those too).

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Anyone who is having a hard time enjoying UThug's misery and pain just needs to find some archived message board threads from 2000 and 2001 when the viles were enjoying the misery that we were enduring, thanks to their scumbag ex-coach.

BTW... is tenndud still around? He must be since the goats around Memphis still nervously keep a wary eye on their six.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
The worst I remember there was when we beat them with Fran. There were a few of us Bama fans scattered around the end zone. It happened that we were sitting near a group of about five or six coeds, who'd been drinking. One of them would turn around at every good thing that happened for Bama or bad for UT and taunt the crowd. Finally, in the second half, the girl had to go to the restroom. A UT matron stood up and refused to let her pass. I thought it was going to develop into a fight. However, the girl turned around and exited the aisle the other way. I sort of held my breath the rest of the game. They had a bunch of security personnel about the size of Junior and Lulu that ringed the field at the end, facing outwards towards the crowd. They really looked grim. Our team didn't want to leave the field. They first went down to the EZ where the band was and then they came up to our end. They must have stayed on the field a good 15-20 minutes, some of them smoking cigars...
I was at that one as well. I thought it was a dump then and I went back in 02 and. It wasn't any better than the 1st time.

Bama Bird

Scout Team
Feb 6, 2013
The worst campus I've ever seen is Rutgers. All three of their campuses. Tennessee is bad, but most schools in a Downtown setting are. Georgia Tech is truly a great downtown campus. They've done a great job of making it feel like it's a real campus

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I almost feel sorry for them...almost.
There's two rival teams I literally hope their football programs die a slow, & very painful death..Those two teams are The Barn & The Vols..After what they did or tried to do to Bama Football..I'll never feel sorry or have an ounce of sympathy for them..I'll thoroughly enjoy every second of their struggles & hope they never fully recover..

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The worst campus I've ever seen is Rutgers. All three of their campuses. Tennessee is bad, but most schools in a Downtown setting are. Georgia Tech is truly a great downtown campus. They've done a great job of making it feel like it's a real campus
I dunno.............armPITT has no campus. Some grass, around the main building, even less in front of the Student Union. The rest........all urban wasteland. (And that was 40 years ago. I doubt it has improved.) They don't even play their football on campus, these days.

As much as I hate UcheaT, the ones worse than theirs must be truly awful. Of course, there isn't much one can say nice, about any part of Knoxville.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
It's not just the UT campus but all of Knoxville that's ugly. The irony is that eastern Tennessee is one of the most picturesque areas in the eastern US. Knoxville is my least favorite city in the south.

UT's campus is ugly, but Vandy and LSU are worse. I've never set foot on the plains ... probably never will. I can't imagine that aTm has a pretty campus. There's not much about Texas that's pretty (including UTx) except the women.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It's not just the UT campus but all of Knoxville that's ugly. The irony is that eastern Tennessee is one of the most picturesque areas in the eastern US. Knoxville is my least favorite city in the south.

UT's campus is ugly, but Vandy and LSU are worse. I've never set foot on the plains ... probably never will. I can't imagine that aTm has a pretty campus. There's not much about Texas that's pretty (including UTx) except the women.
I actually feel dirt as I type this..I'll give credit where credit is due..I actually think The Barn has a beautiful campus..Not a nice or as beautiful as T-Town..I think it's one of the nicer campus in the SEC though..Jordan Hare Stadium is better than Neyland Stadium..I need a shower now..LOL

Bama Bird

Scout Team
Feb 6, 2013
This is just my opinion of SEC campuses (This has nothing to do with the town they're located in, just the campuses themselves.) I've been to all, other than Texas A&M and Missouri

1. Alabama- most organized, beautiful buildings, architecturally pure, easy to navigate
2. LSU- also organized, beautiful, and architecturally pure. The live oaks are gorgeous. It's possible that if I spent as much time at LSU as I have at Alabama that I might even like it better.
3. Ole Miss- a lot like Alabama. However, the buildings haven't been kept up as well as Alabama.
4. Florida- huge. But the older parts of the campus could easily be mistaken for an Ivy League campus, with palm trees.
5. Auburn- pretty nice. A lot of 50s, 60s style buildings, but well-organized. It could use some more trees, though
6. Arkansas- also very nice. The hills make it less navigable. Also, it uses many different architectural styles which clash with each other
7. South Carolina- In the quad area, it's top 5. However, it's difficult to even tell where the campus even ends. It's plagued by its location in Downtown Columbia
8. Georgia- Athens is the best town in the SEC. However, the campus has to be the most overrated in the SEC. It's oddly shaped, disorganized, and the buildings are ugly. The South campus is like a Soviet labor town. The "Quad" area is nice, but it's small and located in the corner of the entire campus. The quad is supposed to be the center, not the corner.
9. Vanderbilt- Perhaps it is better than 9th, but I expected something more, I suppose
10. Kentucky- I just wasn't impressed. I like Lexington a lot, but UK is weird
11. Tennessee- I give them the nod over Miss State simply because of their location along the river. If you take away Knoxville and just look at the bare land, Tennessee might be the most scenic campus in the SEC
12. Mississippi State- just horrible. Has no charm whatsoever, and has a lot of ugly buildings

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
I went to Knoxville this weekend to see George Strait. It was the first time I had been on the UT campus. I really thought it was nice. I know you guys can crucify me now but it was a great venue for a concert.The arena was very clean and nice other than the burnt orange everywhere.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.