No One is Talking about Coach Saban's Demeanor against LSU

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
To be fair, guys, he was getting called a troll awfully quick. His phrasing may not have been ideal, but we were getting manhandled on the line a bit, so I would consider his point valid. I agree with the general consensus that CNS was choosing to remain calm for the team's benefit, but it doesn't change the fact that they flat-out outplayed us for huge chunks of the game. Asking what it was about is a legitimate question.

Bottom line: Yeah, he should have handled the name-calling a touch better, but it's pretty frustrating to be called a liar and... god forbid... a barner or whoser just because you have a not-so-flattering impression of our performance. Lay off the newbies a bit. If you want this to stay the best sports board on the internet, you have to accept a little criticism of your team every now and then. If someone keeps making inflammatory comments, I have every reason to believe the mods will take care of it. If you disagree, disagree, but don't call people a troll the first time they say we didn't have an A+ game.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
To be fair, guys, he was getting called a troll awfully quick. His phrasing may not have been ideal, but we were getting manhandled on the line a bit, so I would consider his point valid. I agree with the general consensus that CNS was choosing to remain calm for the team's benefit, but it doesn't change the fact that they flat-out outplayed us for huge chunks of the game. Asking what it was about is a legitimate question.

Bottom line: Yeah, he should have handled the name-calling a touch better, but it's pretty frustrating to be called a liar and... god forbid... a barner or whoser just because you have a not-so-flattering impression of our performance. Lay off the newbies a bit. If you want this to stay the best sports board on the internet, you have to accept a little criticism of your team every now and then. If someone keeps making inflammatory comments, I have every reason to believe the mods will take care of it. If you disagree, disagree, but don't call people a troll the first time they say we didn't have an A+ game.
I was with him all the way up 'til he quit asking "what it was about" and began stating that it was because LSU "clearly" was the "better" and "superior" team both mentally and physically. Now maybe some misinterpreted exactly what he meant by that but it more than likely came across that Alabama was simply getting beat by a team that was just better. By which I'd have to disagree. But I am biased and it maybe that he is to...

Craxycat

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009
I think Coach was in a zone, or he was 'resigned' to this football team making or breaking themselves. That IMO is a good example of a good coach. He knew what we were capable of, and he also knew that their wasn't anything he could accomplish by blowing up. I know that I got quiet during the game too even without these kids burden being mine to solve. I felt (not putting thoughts or words in Saban's mouth...he would maim me) that we would win the game, then I went into a 'man LSU is stupid to show up NOW instead of working all frellin' year, just like USCe, then I went into my 'eh we got this.' I went onto the same Mode during the TN game in '09 too.

With the massive amounts of emotions he probably felt in the span of the game I'll go out on a limb to say it is better to give the players dibs on losing it, crying, worrying, or anything else that might come down.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Here's the way I see it:

When Saban sees a mental error in games that have already been decided (a blowout), he yells and coaches a need for the players to pay better attention. This is mainly due to the fact that the players probably aren't under as much stress, so they start to become complacent in a game and stop paying as close attention. He's basically telling them over and over to finish.

When the game is close like it was on Saturday, Saban stays calm, cool, and collected. He has preached to the team the whole season about finishing the game, and in a situation like that, they start to realize why. He knows that the players are already under huge amounts of stress, and yelling at them is only going to make them more nervous. At that point in a game, no amount of yelling is going to fix the situation...it's time for the players to step up, and they did on Saturday.

Last edited:

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
I know I'm not the only one who saw our legendary Coach's demeanor on the sideline during the LSU game. My buddy said CNS looked "lost" in the second half, (he is a Tennessee fan). I said to him what you were looking at was a coach well in control. He doesnt have to be stark raving mad to be the coach everyone expects. Clearly, CNS was observing his team get beat in the second half by a better team, physically and mentally. We werent getting beat due to real mental errors we were just getting beat by a superior team and he was clapping and encouraging our kids to keep fighting. Indeed, Coach Nick is the best college coach in the nation. I hope he dies a very old man at The Capstone. ROLL TIDE!
sniff! sniff! -- is that fish? or troll I smell?

you have a friend who is a Tennessee fan? ;)
Coughcough...troll...coughcough.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Jones fumble on the punt return? Mental error. Yeldon's fumble on the 10? Mental error by AJ in trying to sell the fake reverse ahead of making sure of a sound hand-off. Better team physically and mentally?? When the chips were down, Bama drove down the field and scored in less than a minute to regain the lead. Then the Tide D stomped out any hope of LSU doing the same with a game ending sack.
Of course Im not a troll. Clearly LSU were making far less critical errors and certainly turnovers during the game but as Coach Nick said when it counted the most, we overcame great adversity to win the game. A hallmark of a championship team.

I was with him all the way up 'til he quit asking "what it was about" and began stating that it was because LSU "clearly" was the "better" and "superior" team both mentally and physically. Now maybe some misinterpreted exactly what he meant by that but it more than likely came across that Alabama was simply getting beat by a team that was just better. By which I'd have to disagree. But I am biased and it maybe that he is to...
Lay off the newbies??? Who else we gonna bully, huh?

Okay, I researched TideHiFlyer from A. A. Reckon what A. A. stands for? Hmm ... Why I'm even suspicious of the meaning of his user name. Seebell will testify, "It is easier to sneak daylight passed a rooster, than to b.s. banjeaux."

His 1st post concerned time of previous Iron Bowls, to determine likelihood of being an afternoon game. He wanted to be able to make it a round trip same day. To me this is not a question that a true Bama fan would ask. A real Bama fan would sleep in the car or share driving to attend this Iron Bowl, so he could participate in singing Rammer Jammer at the beginning of the 4th quarter.

My judgement: TROLL! Carry on with usual punishment. Yes, water-boarding is appropriate. :eek2:

BornABamaFan

2nd Team
Nov 22, 2011
Brandon,MS
I was glad to see Coach Saban staying (or at least looking calm). Last year I thought he made A.J. extremely tight in the game against LSU because of his outburst, and I previously thought he made our WHOLE team tight against Auburn after Ingram fumbled heading in for a TD, though we were winning the game handily. Having said that, I've watched the game now 3 times and my take on the game was: A) When we were down early, we DID play with a sense of urgency and as we know--scored fairly quick. B) At the end of the half as time was running down, once again we HAD to play with a sense of urgency if we wanted to score before half, and as we know--again scored fairly quick. C) During the time (When I THOUGHT the beatdown was going to begin-YES I was wrong), we played with no sense of urgency and true we didn't have to--At this point I truly thought our attitdude was gonna be--Let's not just win , but lets see how bad we can beat them in Baton Rouge. and D)Obviously at the end there was a sense of urgency as there was no other option---and one again we scored quickly. When we had to have results, WE GOT RESULTS EVERY TIME............
Personally, I felt like we still FELT like we had so much to prove because of the situation from last year, let's face it-- I never had one LSU fan here in MS admit that we were the best team a year ago. For LSU this game was still a continuation of a match not really completed, but now it has: VICTORY Alabama 6-7,6-0,7-5!!! and yes I may even watch(the third set) a 4th time!

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I think we have the Smartest Coach alive to teach college kids.

This team is playing much better than the 09 team IMO with all the Great Freshman players showing just so much maturity.

I do hope we can find a way to keep the foot on the throat of our opponents.

Any way that was some Great Football this weekend

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
has anybody with a post count above 2 on here ever refered to Coach Saban as Coach Nick?? unless your trolling ofcourse...
Your post brings up an interesting point. LSU fans continually referred to CNS as "Nick." On this board, nor any other, have I ever seen a Bama fan refer to him as anything other than "Coach Saban," "Saban," "CNS," or just "Coach." Not.one.Bama.fan.ever. Think about it...

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Your post brings up an interesting point. LSU fans continually referred to CNS as "Nick." On this board, nor any other, have I ever seen a Bama fan refer to him as anything other than "Coach Saban," "Saban," "CNS," or just "Coach." Not.one.Bama.fan.ever. Think about it...

I agree.

One other thing I would like to point out about him is his Avatar. I loved watching Charlie brown growing up and snoopy was one of my favorites. Snoopy sometimes became the red barron on top of his doghouse and flew behind enemy lines for a dog fight on his doghouse (ala wwI). Think he might be saying something with that avatar....

Last edited:
I know I'm not the only one who saw our legendary Coach's demeanor on the sideline during the LSU game. My buddy said CNS looked "lost" in the second half, (he is a Tennessee fan). I said to him what you were looking at was a coach well in control. He doesnt have to be stark raving mad to be the coach everyone expects. Clearly, CNS was observing his team get beat in the second half by a better team, physically and mentally. We werent getting beat due to real mental errors we were just getting beat by a superior team and he was clapping and encouraging our kids to keep fighting. Indeed, Coach Nick is the best college coach in the nation. I hope he dies a very old man at The Capstone. ROLL TIDE!
That's the only part I disagree. They were outplaying us but being superior means much more. They made some plays we made in the BCSCG. Mettenburg just got hot. We still were able to get them in to third and long. The defense rose up when the game was on the line twice. They were tired, but showed grit and got done what needed to be done. We weren't only outplayed, but we cause a lot of our own mistakes as well. I've never seen so many missed tackles!!

chains

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2009
When the game started, my wife said Coach looked sick. Said his color didn't look good. I really think he was sick.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Coach Saban is the best at:

1) recruiting
2) preparation (strength/conditioning/play repetition)
3) mental aspects of the game
4) teaching

No one will ever accuse him of being the best coach at game day strategy. His strength is in what is done before the game. He will put a bigger, faster, stronger, more prepared team (mentally and physically) on the field than you do. But he will never be accused of being the best game day coach. For example, he is horrible at managing our timeouts before halftime (wastes them many times when we could have gotten into scoring range had they been used).

But i wouldn't trade him for anyone. He's the best overall coach in America.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I would add a permanent overall football game parameters and strategy too. For example he puts our OC inside boundaries and then leaves him alone. I like that personally. Very similar to Coach Bryant.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
What are those boundaries you think Coach Nuss has?
It is well documented that he came in and learned our previous offensive system, even the termanology and added a few wrinkles......same with the previous OC :)

We can both go into more specifics about the look of our pro-syle offense, but I would not be teaching you anything you didn't already know.

Balance, pro style, tight ends, pay action, screens, blocking schemes and so on.

Last edited:

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
This board has really lost the edge in the fundamentals of spotting a troll. Execution is poor with the slinging of Moo, and the attention to detail of pointing this out to other members is going to cost us one day.. I'm tellin ya now it's gonna cost us before you know it members will be liking a trolls post ..:eek2:

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.