Question: What positions will new recruits play?

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I know Saban has traditionally put some kids in positions different from the recruiting services. Christion Jones was a CB coming out of HS. Alphonse Taylor switched early. Brad Smelley was a QB etc.

There are a few recruits who could play different positions from this 2013 class:

A'shawn Robinson -- NG or OL. Bigger need on defense, but reminds me of Chance Warmack.
Anthoney Averett -- Some say safety. Saban mentioned all the DB's recruited are cornerback types.
Ardarius Stewart --Most think WR or slot, but we didn't get a solid safety type. He played safety in HS too.
Brandon Hill -- He is so big, he reminds me of Cody. Could be a great NG run stopper. recruited as OL
Derrick Henry -- Will start at RB. Could end up at Safety, or OLB or H-back.
Alvin Kamara -- Some say we recruited him as a slot receiver. Looks great as an all-purpose RB.
Eddie Jackson -- Great ball skills for offense. slot or WR. Most think tall cornerback.
Walker Jones -- Reminds me of Vinnie Sunseri. could be LB or strong safety.
Jonathan Allen -- Jack LB or grow into a DE

Feel free to add more recruits. These are questions for me. Let's keep it civil.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
A'shawn Robinson -- DT; he could move to OT if our younger DT's step up or Hill/Brown don't impress this spring, but he'd be such a force at DT

Anthoney Averett -- CB unless he really grows or puts on weight; he'll likely redshirt to add strength anyway

Ardarius Stewart --Slot WR all the way;

Brandon Hill -- OL; not sure on OT or OG, but I'm leaning to OG

Derrick Henry -- RB all the way...

Alvin Kamara -- RB or slot WR;

Eddie Jackson -- CB

Walker Jones -- LB

Jonathan Allen -- Jack unless he grows a lot or ife he can hold a lot of new weight like Pagan/Stinson
I put in my predictions. The only other possible "flex" spots are guys that are obvious LB or DL guys, but their exact spot won't be known until the coaches see them perform. Dee Liner could be a DE that slides inside like Square or Dareus. A guy like Reuben could play Mike, Will, or Sam in our D. I see him more in a Nico Johnson role to start out (Mike LB in on running situations; I think RF's only big area for improvement is pass coverage (a la Nico). RF will be a stud on coverage teams though. I'm expecting a lot of big hits from him.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Robinson: CNS reportedly will let him decide. Probably be like Taylor last year. Take a RS and find his "home."
Averett: Take a RS to get bigger and play some form of DB.
Stewart: Slot
Hill: OG
Henry: RB
Kamara: RB/Slot guy
Jackson: CB
Jones: H-Back or LB
Allen: DE because he's going to grow under Cochran. They always do.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Robinson: CNS reportedly will let him decide. Probably be like Taylor last year. Take a RS and find his "home."
Averett: Take a RS to get bigger and play some form of DB.
Stewart: Slot
Hill: OG
Henry: RB
Kamara: RB/Slot guy
Jackson: CB
Jones: H-Back or LB
Allen: DE because he's going to grow under Cochran. They always do.

Good call on Walker Jones at H-back. I forgot he did play TE in HS. Especially if Brent Calloway doesn't pan out at h-back.
Another prospect would be Tim Williams. Jack or DE.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Good call on Walker Jones at H-back. I forgot he did play TE in HS. Especially if Brent Calloway doesn't pan out at h-back.
Another prospect would be Tim Williams. Jack or DE.
end. He is a fairly lanky 230 pounds. He can hold 30+ easily and still maintain his speed. He'll be a pass rushing beast.

Johnnyb

1st Team
Jan 4, 2011
Huntsville, AL
end. He is a fairly lanky 230 pounds. He can hold 30+ easily and still maintain his speed. He'll be a pass rushing beast.
I think you mean he'd be playing end when we drop down into a 4 man front like we do often against running QB's or just on 3rd/passing downs. In base alignment he'd never play a 5 technique.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I think you mean he'd be playing end when we drop down into a 4 man front like we do often against running QB's or just on 3rd/passing downs. In base alignment he'd never play a 5 technique.

It seems that these hybrid LB's have a really good chance to see the field early. Denzel Duvall saw the field as a Jack LB pass rusher last year even though he was recruited as a MLB last year. Donta saw the field early as a frosh JLB pass rusher and he was a MLB. Reuben Foster has a chance to be that pass rusher this year if he has any skills at all as a pass rusher.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It seems that these hybrid LB's have a really good chance to see the field early. Denzel Duvall saw the field as a Jack LB pass rusher last year even though he was recruited as a MLB last year. Donta saw the field early as a frosh JLB pass rusher and he was a MLB. Reuben Foster has a chance to be that pass rusher this year if he has any skills at all as a pass rusher.
That is a very good observation. Unlike, for example, DB, a pass rusher can master a relative handful of moves and the rest is natural ability - just go get the QB like a heat-seeking missile. That's been the one tool our defense has lacked recently...

smohabbat

Scout Team
Oct 13, 2011
That is a very good observation. Unlike, for example, DB, a pass rusher can master a relative handful of moves and the rest is natural ability - just go get the QB like a heat-seeking missile. That's been the one tool our defense has lacked recently...
Reuben Foster is exactly that. I expect to see him mostly in blitzing downs but also in drop back coverage downs so it doesnt become predictable...I know one thing for sure, im happy he didnt go to the barn.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Reuben Foster is exactly that. I expect to see him mostly in blitzing downs but also in drop back coverage downs so it doesnt become predictable...I know one thing for sure, im happy he didnt go to the barn.

I hear that pass coverage is the one area of Reuben's game that needs improvement. I see him as a pass rusher or maybe goal line stand formations for this coming year.
I think Anthony Averett will be put with the safeties. He'll need to bulk up a little bit. He reminds me of Jarrick Williams and Nick Perry.

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
I hear that pass coverage is the one area of Reuben's game that needs improvement. I see him as a pass rusher or maybe goal line stand formations for this coming year.
I think Anthony Averett will be put with the safeties. He'll need to bulk up a little bit. He reminds me of Jarrick Williams and Nick Perry.
Averett needs to bulk up but he could play safety. He covers like a corner.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Averett could make a good nickel back. I don't think we'll see him next year playing. We have a lot of depth now in the defensive secondary. We'll lose a lot of db's after next season, so I expect us to recruit heavily for db's in 2014.

Who do you think will be the first DL to see the field this year?

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
I have walker jones at h back. Like really impressive in that role in his tape, a lot like brad smelled did when he was in high school.

I also think Robinson ends up a oline

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
A'shawn Robinson
This was a light OL class, so his flexibility is probably a good thing for the numbers but I feel like he can impact the DL as a freshman in specialized packages. He brings a little different look than Ivory or Lake who are pure gap pluggers. He's no Dareus but he has a little more rush ability.

Anthony Averrett
The class was light on corners, so I think the assumption that he's a CB is a good one.

Ardarius Stewart
I'm guessing he'll get a look on offense but move to the secondary.

Brandon Hill
He's a project OG in my opinion. Our numbers are good at NT with Robinson, Ivory, and Lake (assuming Robinson goes DL). We have the guard depth to allow him to slim down and get to his ideal playing weight at this level.

Derrick Henry
He's a tailback...no doubt.

Alvin Kamara
He may be a return man early in his career but he'll get snaps at tailback and split out some.

Eddie Jackson
Probably corner.

Walker Jones
I'm hearing that he's more of a linebacker than safety...of course, Sunseri was thought the same.

Jonathan Allen
He's the best pass rush prospect we've recruited in a long time. I don't think the plan is to grow him into an SDE but to keep him on the weak-side as a hybrid backer.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Actually, we'll be using him in situation where he can prevent our having to blitz. I expect him to be playing Jack when we're effectively in a 4-3 nickel or dime situation and there will be no question about what he's going to do - just whether or not they can stop him. OTOH, Saban is perfectly capable of throwing in a corner blitz along with RF in that situation...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think there has been a philosophical shift in the personnel type we're looking for at strong-side backer. Until this past season, the Sam LB was sparingly used and was mostly just an assignment guy. We simply didn't get that much use out of the position. That changed with the decision to play Hubbard and Dickson at OLB this season. Hubbard is more of a playmaker and it adds some versatility with our strength adjustments because we don't have to flip the personnel against the motions...we simply shift the assignments between the outside backers and shift the gap assignments on the front.

To me, I think Foster is going to end up as an OLB like Devall who also switched from an ILB prospect to the backup Jack LB in Fall camp. Coverage is a little more common as a Sam LB and Foster has a little more natural ability in that regard...but we're clearly starting to use the Sam LB as a feature role in the defense. Foster will be Hubbard's relief at SLB while Devall subs for Dickson at JLB. Jonathan Allen may challenge Devall for the sub spot at Jack though. I certainly believe that Allen will a frequent sub for even front looks in passing situations.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I've got Henry and Reuben on KO and maybe punt coverage. Great speed and great body size to blow it up downfield with a full head of steam.
Sit back and think about that for a moment. Derrick Henry in all his 6-3 240+ lbs with a 50 yard sprint and running into you full steam. That's gonna leave a mark!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.