News Article: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
Norwood is the starting Y receiver - I believe - and Bell was his former backup at Y.
I'm not speculating on his spot in the rotation. Could very well be Nick just experimenting or, if the mind games thing is true, making it more legit for observers. We shall see.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The thing is that sometimes the plays called and coverage by the defense might dictate the ball doesn't go his way enough to make an impact. The issue is that the pure depth of the position dictates one more scholarship athlete is needed.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Black is too good to be just a decoy, but it is well known that Saban demands more of his receivers than just running routes. Does anyone know anything about his downfield blocking ability?

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
Black is too good to be just a decoy, but it is well known that Saban demands more of his receivers than just running routes. Does anyone know anything about his downfield blocking ability?
I tend to lean towards this. I don't think Nick would burn his redshirt and not intend to throw it to him. I believe if he actually takes the field he will be a legitimate target and a threat to the UGA defense.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I tend to lean towards this. I don't think Nick would burn his redshirt and not intend to throw it to him. I believe if he actually takes the field he will be a legitimate target and a threat to the UGA defense.

I agree...seems unlikely that Saban would let him lose a year of eligibility to just play decoy.
I do remember there was a lot of hype about his progress in the spring, so I'm excited to see him play in a big game...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Our offense is more open in terms of where McCarron directs the ball. We aren't running a lot of "decoy routes" rather the routes that get covered aren't targeted. If UGA plays the deep ball off play action and aggressively attacks the crossing routes then Black might not make many plays but in theory that would open things up for other guys.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
if he burns a redshirt, and doesnt contribute more than being a decoy...thats quite a waste of a year
I guess this bears repeating, since the idea of a "wasted year" keeps coming up. The odds that this will be a wasted year are very long. He can go pro as soon as his senior HS class has completed three years of eligibility. Guys with his level of ability almost always opt to do that, as it makes good economic sense. The only reason he would stay - or use - that fifth year would be another injury, generally a season-ending one. That is the only risk Chris and his family are taking and that's what why Saban was consulting with them. If Saban says that Chris can help them team, then, to me, that means he plays...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I guess this bears repeating, since the idea of a "wasted year" keeps coming up. The odds that this will be a wasted year are very long. He can go pro as soon as his senior HS class has completed three years of eligibility. Guys with his level of ability almost always opt to do that, as it makes good economic sense. The only reason he would stay - or use - that fifth year would be another injury, generally a season-ending one. That is the only risk Chris and his family are taking and that's what why Saban was consulting with them. If Saban says that Chris can help them team, then, to me, that means he plays...
i think it was cecil hurt that pointed out that its not even an issue that is in play until the 2015 season (i think my counting is correct). the way saban recruits, i'm not sure it will be a problem any way it pans out.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
i think it was cecil hurt that pointed out that its not even an issue that is in play until the 2015 season (i think my counting is correct). the way saban recruits, i'm not sure it will be a problem any way it pans out.
You are correct, but Cecil actually said the only time this will have any effect is in the 2016 season - meaning Chris won't be available to play in 2016 if he plays any this year. As Earle pointed out, he may be gone after the 2014 season anyway if he's as good as we hope he is. Staying until 2015 would just be icing on the cake. I guarantee that the 2016 roster is the last thing on Coach's mind right now...

tonyjem71

Aug 19, 2009
It could say that he is that good. As Coach said in his presser this week they need to have more receivers cause they get winded in 2 minute situations and if they run long routes. Right now we havfe Cooper, Norwood, Jones, Jones, and Shinn as basically the only guys who have played. Cy. Jones and Shinn barely have more experience than Black, so to me it's a great idea to get him in the game.

God forbid we have another injury in this game to any of these guys and we will certainly need him. So to me it is a no brainer that if he can contribute he should play. And to me it doesn't mean that something is wrong with the other guys.

^^^^ THIS^^^^^^

I am of the belief that C. Black is and was better than most of the WR on the roster before he was hurt(he was ranked among the top 3 WR in the nation). So it doesnt say anything bad about the other WRs because frankly they have done and excellent job this year. It speaks more about the ablity and determination of Chris. Most of you sound as though putting him in the game is a big risk....Why? How? Chris has been on campus since last winter, went through spring training/practice, had a great A-Day game, went through summer workouts and fall practice and according to the reports from coaches and players he was poised to make a big spash this fall. Why would you doubt that player simply because he is coming off of an injury, even after he was cleared by the doctors to take contact? Who knows if Bama will be back in the hunt for these game again in the next 4 years?(I hope they will) If any of you were Chris you would not say...." I dont wanna play in the championship games coach....I wanna wait till next year and play the whole season." That is not the mind set of a "Football Player". If you have ever played football...you know that as a player you want to be in the game...plain and simple.

ROLL TIDE!:BigA:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Our offense is more open in terms of where McCarron directs the ball. We aren't running a lot of "decoy routes" rather the routes that get covered aren't targeted. If UGA plays the deep ball off play action and aggressively attacks the crossing routes then Black might not make many plays but in theory that would open things up for other guys.
This is the point some are missing. His presence, especially if his speed is Bellish or better has to be accounted for. Therefore, even if he is a decoy, he may be a vital part of the success of a play.

Just for kicks, I'd send him on a post pattern the first play he's in just to test the respect they are going to give him. But instead of throwing to him, hit Cooper on a drag route across the middle.

If he blows by the defensive backs, even if we don't throw it to him, it will be in their minds the rest of the game. Then the play action running game can really take charge!

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
This is like the best thread all year!

What a story if it plays out!

Appears to me Chris was just hammering the coaches to get in there.

Hey, Coach I'm good let me help, I can help, you'll see!

This kid plays like the heart he has, we may see a record day in receptions!

Roll Tide!

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I tend to agree that he won't be here 5 years anyway, might as well use him. Besides it is so hard to get to a championship game, you have to do everything possible to win it when you are there.

And it is something for the UGA coaches to think about. With Cooper on the field, you certainly want help (safety, nickel, whatever). You have to put a good player on Norwood and you probably want help there. Now, what do you do with Black? And what do you do if he runs off and leaves your guy on the first play? Go dime and worry about Williams or Lacy catching one out of the backfield? Just play zone all the time? UGA has a very very good defensive backfield. This will give them some things to think about if Black is ready for the speed of the game and if his injury has healed enough to hold onto the ball and block effectively. And if CNS puts him out there, I'm pretty confident he's ok on both of those counts.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is the point some are missing. His presence, especially if his speed is Bellish or better has to be accounted for. Therefore, even if he is a decoy, he may be a vital part of the success of a play.

Just for kicks, I'd send him on a post pattern the first play he's in just to test the respect they are going to give him. But instead of throwing to him, hit Cooper on a drag route across the middle.

If he blows by the defensive backs, even if we don't throw it to him, it will be in their minds the rest of the game. Then the play action running game can really take charge!
IIRC, Chris has been electronically timed as low as 4.38. I believe Bell was timed around 4.5, which is plenty fast. That was my reason for saying "slightly faster" earlier. Both are blazing fast, and there would be very few DBs who could hope to react after a move and catch up...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.