Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Seems like about the time coach Saban mentioned his dislike of the no huddle offense that opponents started getting their plays off quicker. LSU seemed to have the first two series pre set and confused our defense. We we're fortunate to fight off that initial charge

Am I imagining that we are having more difficulty getting players in and out and getting set? I have good basic football knowledge I am more familiar with coverage than at the line and especially the audibles from run to pass ect.

I think this loss will help us. We will still win the SEC imo. It got too big and the pressure on the players was enormous. Comapring us to an NFL team.

Any answers to the questions appreciated.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
This is just a case where offenses are starting to change to meet the harsh reality of great defenses. Great Defensive minded coaches will figure this out in a couple of years and it drive more innovation. One thing that bothers me is our reliance on subbing constantly for different packages. Just put our best on the field instead of platooning. Just my 2 cents.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This is just a case where offenses are starting to change to meet the harsh reality of great defenses. Great Defensive minded coaches will figure this out in a couple of years and it drive more innovation.
I realize that. I am talking more specifically about LSU and aTm's game plan against us compared to the teams prior to the LSU game.
Not overall college direction., but game plan due to a perceived found vulnerability. Maybe I am imagining it, but haven't we had a couple of substitution penalties too?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I realize that. I am talking more specifically about LSU and aTm's game plan against us compared to the teams prior to the LSU game.
Not overall college direction., but game plan due to a perceived found vulnerability. Maybe I am imagining it, but haven't we had a couple of substitution penalties too?
You have to have the personnel to do that sort of stuff and only a few do have that sort of talent, conditioning, etc.....

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
As an aside, I expect UGA to approach the SEC Championship Game in this fashion.

Bamatide44

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 26, 2009
I'm very confident that Bama would/will be prepared for such an offense if we have a month to do so. We should have the depth and talent.

I am falling in line with the notion that we don't have a good pass rusher in this defensive scheme.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think we have some of the best defensive minds on our staff, and if they can't get it figured between now and then it might have to be something that is worked on during off-season. It might be as simple as a phone call to teams that face that sort of stuff all of the time.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I'm very confident that Bama would/will be prepared for such an offense if we have a month to do so. We should have the depth and talent.

I am falling in line with the notion that we don't have a good pass rusher in this defensive scheme.
Not to get into who we don't have, but Clowney would have been a star from day 1. We need a couple of those. Don't want to go back to the 4-3, but I miss the 6-5 240 lb defensive end recruits sometimes.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
The thing is if we don't have the personnel to fit the scheme, we are going to have to change the scheme to fit the personnel. When you "almost" get to the QB on a blitz, bad things usually happen on the defensive side of the ball.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I'll bite, but you and just about everyone on here will not like my opinion, that's okay.

The kind of offense we saw yesterday is the future of college football. It is being taught and run at high schools across the country and that's what kids want to be a part of.
It is designed to create confusion, personnel mismatches, and getting playmakers in space. It requires speed over bulk.
To defense it you have to have similar type players more speed less bulk.
I have seen over the past several years the lack of overall team speed in our defense.

Now for Alabama. We have had the benefit of a weak schedule, the only 2 teams we have played with any semblance of an offense has been LSU and TAMU. We should win out because WCU and au are terrible, but right now I don't think we beat UGA. My reason for picking UGA is that Alabama now knows they can be beaten and when doubt sets in anything can happen. I hope I am wrong and we win the SECC, but his team is not nearly as good as the 2011 team. Now to don my flak jacket.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I'll bite, but you and just about everyone on here will not like my opinion, that's okay.

The kind of offense we saw yesterday is the future of college football. It is being taught and run at high schools across the country and that's what kids want to be a part of.
It is designed to create confusion, personnel mismatches, and getting playmakers in space. It requires speed over bulk.
I have seen over the past several years the lack of overall team speed in our defense.

Now for Alabama. We have had the benefit of a weak schedule, the only 2 teams we have played with any semblance of an offense has been LSU and TAMU. We should win out because WCU and au are terrible, but right now I don't think we beat UGA. My reason for picking UGA is that Alabama now knows they can be beaten and when doubt sets in anything can happen. I hope I am wrong and we win the SECC, but his team is not nearly as good as the 2011 team. Now to don my flak jacket.
You are exactly right! In fact, I saw them line up in the A-11 once or twice(Flag was thrown on one however). People on this board laughed when I brought up the A-11 a couple of years ago. However, it is more widely accepted and now being designed to fit the NCAA.

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

Nothing to get flamed over. It is true that that type offense will be more prevalent in years to come. I also could see us losing the SECCG if we don't get some things fixed. Murray could very well hurt us even though he really isn't as mobile as Manziel. I figure we beat the barn pretty easily to get to the SECCG, but our coaches need to figure out what is wrong with our defense in the next few weeks, and hopefully our players can execute. I fully expect to see teams from here on out do hurry up as it seems to gives us problems. We are not as good as last year especially on defense, but this team has done a great job so far this season. More than some fans expected.

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Do you think our 2011 defense would have yielded the same results in the last 2 games as this defense has? Your whole post is basically saying we have scheme/personel (size) problem, but then you finish it by saying we are not as good as last year. Which is it?

Edit: I will say I do agree that the days of winning consistently with bad offenses and great defenses are over. The PPG have been rising in CFB and the NFL for years, so this is nothing new. The same scheme and coaching that produced one of the best defenses in the modern era of CFB just last year is not the problem. Both of the last 2 games came down to mistakes made by our secondary on the most part. In fact, if we had smaller, faster DL and LB's last week, there's NO WAY we would have beat LSU.

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Nothing to get flamed over. It is true that that type offense will be more prevalent in years to come. I also could see us losing the SECCG if we don't get some things fixed. Murray could very well hurt us even though he really isn't as mobile as Manziel. I figure we beat the barn pretty easily to get to the SECCG, but our coaches need to figure out what is wrong with our defense in the next few weeks, and hopefully our players can execute. I fully expect to see teams from here on out do hurry up as it seems to gives us problems. We are not as good as last year especially on defense, but this team has done a great job so far this season. More than some fans expected.
I think our problem on defense is what we thought it might be in the preseason. We lost a NT, 3 LB's, and 3 DB's to the NFL. Our level of competition and some good performances have masked it, but what some of us feared has come true. Its surprising that we have done as well as we have with losing that many starters. With that said, the defense has played well enough to win every game. They have made crucial stops at the end of the last 2 games to put in postion to win.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree this team has done a great job this year and we can still win the SEC, but some repairs need to be made with both the offense and defense. Murray is not Johnny Manziel, IMO he is a lot better QB than Mettenberger. UGA's defense has improved and they will certainly play their best game of the year in Atlanta.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think we have some of the best defensive minds on our staff, and if they can't get it figured between now and then it might have to be something that is worked on during off-season. It might be as simple as a phone call to teams that face that sort of stuff all of the time.
yeah, I'm expecting that saban has an answer for this next season

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
We struggled with the no huddle offense against Ole Miss, when they scored. And again when LSU got hot. TaM just ran it perfectly, I guess. I still think the two turnovers in our own RedZone is what did us in.

I think had we been in the Championship game, against Oregon. We would have lost our first National Title game in a very long time.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
We struggled with the no huddle offense against Ole Miss, when they scored. And again when LSU got hot. TaM just ran it perfectly, I guess. I still think the two turnovers in our own RedZone is what did us in.

I think had we been in the Championship game, against Oregon. We would have lost our first National Title game in a very long time.
Maybe, but Oregon's defense is nowhere near what LSU and TAMU's is, and we would have had a month to prepare and get healthy. I wouldn't just give them the crystal football so easy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.