Shane Youngblood Tweets a Good Question About Future Bama Recruiting

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I've had several posts about not being a fan of Alabama recruiting the state of Mississippi. This thread is not about that. It's about the school of South Panola in general. Shane Youngblood tweeted the below question after Conner's announcement, and I think it's a valid one for Bama to ask.

@SYoungblood73
I know Nick Saban isnt a defeatist, but at some point don't you allocate time and resources away from recruiting South Panola?
Should Bama spend its time on SP and its recruits?

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I don't see CNS giving up on a challenge. Let his presence in SP make all the other coaches shake in their sneakers. Eventually, you will get someone to come to the good side.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I don't see CNS giving up on a challenge. Let his presence in SP make all the other coaches shake in their sneakers. Eventually, you will get someone to come to the good side.
if nothing else, it makes the mississippi teams work harder to keep 'em there, and gives them less time to go elsewhere....
;)

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
We got Griffin a few years back, who I never really felt was an elite talent at RB. And he seemed a little disgruntled at his short stay on campus. I'm sure that doesn't help us with other SP recruits.

The two most successful in SP history both went to Bama. Townsend & Rudd. Everyone else out of SP have been busts.

Conner wanted to play here. He wore these gloves while playing:

Something kept him there, and I hate to think of what. If a kid wants to play here, and we want him to play here, and we still don't get him? Seems like those resources would be better used somewhere else.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I have heard this was Greg Reid all over again. Both of these guys supposedly told our coaches they were coming the night before signing day. As to why they chose to sign elsewhere....I'll let you figure that one out.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I'm thinking if the reason some kids choose to stay at home is cut off, they may go elsewhere. Until that is proven and dealt with, this is what we have.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
Coach Saban will continue to go after the best, no matter where they are. He'll also continue to find that "prototypical Jack LB" that he had in Jason Taylor at Miami. Eventually the circumstances won't cut Alabama off, like it did with Jadaveon Clowney and Robert Nkemdiche. Lorenzo Carter is the next one.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Should Bama spend its time on SP and its recruits?
I think that time spent recruiting Mississippi would be much better spent recruiting Georgia and specifically Atlanta area recruits. That seems to be Saban's attitude since he arrived.

Most Atlanta area recruits have no strong allegiance to any one school and their are no strong booster organizations around to put pressure on recruits to stay in-state.

Back in the day, Mississippi and specifically S Panola was worth the effort, but that doesn't seem to be the case any longer. Even spending the time south Florida seems to be more fruitful.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Gotta stick to it, eventually the relationship building pays off and you get a big recruit that isn't swayed by externalities there.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
When it gets to "show me the rings!" instead of what it is now, the results will be different...and that time will come.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We got Griffin a few years back, who I never really felt was an elite talent at RB. And he seemed a little disgruntled at his short stay on campus. I'm sure that doesn't help us with other SP recruits.

The two most successful in SP history both went to Bama. Townsend & Rudd. Everyone else out of SP have been busts.

Conner wanted to play here. He wore these gloves while playing:

Something kept him there, and I hate to think of what. If a kid wants to play here, and we want him to play here, and we still don't get him? Seems like those resources would be better used somewhere else.
I wouldn't count Ruud, since our main competitor got a C&D from the NCAA. Can't provide any more detail. I'm sure Bebes thought he picked us because liked the crimson colors... :)

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
A wise man will walk away from a challenge that isn't worth it.
Well, it could cause a MSU or Ole Sis coach to spend more time on someone there and less on someone that Bama really wants. So this is a wise coach that causes those coaches to work much harder and be distracted away from our real targets.

tidefan23

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2004
Hoover, AL
I say ditch it. Those kids are very hard to get in school, keep in school, and to stay off drugs. Personally, I think Conner won't make it 3 or 4 years at Ole Miss.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Ditch them. If the kid wants out bad enough he will come, just like Landon Collins.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't see it as being an issue. If nothing else he's, making them, umm expend more resources to keep these kids around. It takes a lot to tell a kid, I know you can win championships and be groomed for an NFL career by one of the best, but if you stay here we might have a shot at #3 in the SEC West!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am sure that he is asking himself and the coaching staff what they can do differently in that area to change things. If the answer is, "Nothing", then you move on. If there is a better answer, you develop a strategy around that answer. But you don't keep doing the same things hoping for a better outcome (other than winning championships :biggrin:).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.