C.J. Mosley vs. Manti Te'o Stats

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
If Manti Te'o wins the Heisman, I'll have no beef. Seven picks for a LB is very impressive. He's a great leader and directly influences games. He's the best player on a team that is undefeated and going to play for it all. If he wins, he won't be the worst player to win it.

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
i really don't understand Heisman talk for a middle linebacker with just 5.5 tackles for loss. heck, that's a bad month for Clowney right now.

not sure how many will remember Hugh Green from 1980 when he finished 2nd as a LB but that guy caused 117 yards lost with 17 sacks and 11 TFL which was his fourth straight year with DD sacks and TFL. He also had 123 tackles in 12 games with 77 of them solo
now THOSE were Heisman-worthy numbers, not Manti's
Hugh Green was an absolute monster. Though George Rogers was an excellent player, I've always felt that Green should have won. This year, Te'o has had a fine season, but if he had played for any other team (or had the same personal numbers with a weaker Notre Dame team), he'd not be under serious consideration. It would be interesting to look at defensive leaders for the Irish over the past 10 years or so and see how they compare to Manti's numbers.

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
If Manti Te'o wins the Heisman, I'll have no beef. Seven picks for a LB is very impressive. He's a great leader and directly influences games. He's the best player on a team that is undefeated and going to play for it all. If he wins, he won't be the worst player to win it.
The leader thing is a bad argument because pretty much every team in the country has a good leader. His numbers other than INT's are pretty normal for his position and the sacks are very low. I think the hype has more to do with his personal story about the loss of his grandmother and girlfriend. He didn't get talked about before he played the game after that and the conversation hasn't stopped since.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I hate to say it, but I think some of the love for Teo is also due to his personal story - his girlfriend dying of leukemia early in the season.

If it goes to the best player in CFB, I would think the Heisman would be between Clowney and Manziel, although I have heard some say Star Lotulelei (DT from Utah) looks like the best player in CFB this year. I haven't seen him play, though.

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
i really don't understand Heisman talk for a middle linebacker with just 5.5 tackles for loss. heck, that's a bad month for Clowney right now.

not sure how many will remember Hugh Green from 1980 when he finished 2nd as a LB but that guy caused 117 yards lost with 17 sacks and 11 TFL which was his fourth straight year with DD sacks and TFL. He also had 123 tackles in 12 games with 77 of them solo

now THOSE were Heisman-worthy numbers, not Manti's
Derrick Thomas still holds the single season NCAA record of 27 sacks in 1988.

BamafanNPC

3rd Team
Jan 3, 2007
Pell City, AL
The leader thing is a bad argument because pretty much every team in the country has a good leader. His numbers other than INT's are pretty normal for his position and the sacks are very low. I think the hype has more to do with his personal story about the loss of his grandmother and girlfriend. He didn't get talked about before he played the game after that and the conversation hasn't stopped since.
This. People love hearing stories about overcoming tragedy or death.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Personally, I think Jarvis Jones and Jadeveon Clowney are the two best defensive players in America. Te'o is not far behind but Jarvis Jones is like tornado rolling over opposing offenses. Clowney is much the same...LSU was the only game where I felt like he didn't affect the game much.

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
We will see how good Jarvis Jones is this weekend. Our OL held LSU in check for the most part, they will get another test Saturday. Warmack will have a battle pulling and picking up Ogletree, along with Barrett having to hold is own with Jenkins.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Teo is not going to win the heisman folks. He is though at least deserving to be in the conversation. Anyone in the top 5-6 or so IMO is in the conversation. The love for Teo is for one reason and one reason only. He is the best player on currently the best team as far as the polls go. I dont have a beef with that. not saying it's right but it's always been that way. i must add that i'm not taking anything away from him. He's easily one of if not the top LBs in college football right now.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Personally, I think Jarvis Jones and Jadeveon Clowney are the two best defensive players in America. Te'o is not far behind but Jarvis Jones is like tornado rolling over opposing offenses. Clowney is much the same...LSU was the only game where I felt like he didn't affect the game much.
He was hurt - and still is...

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009
Said in another thread that I wouldn't trade CJ for Te'o in a million years. Not saying he is not a great player but I would take CJ everytime. If you want to know where the ball is going just follow 32. He seems to always know what's coming and where to go...he also gets the rest of our guys where they are supposed to be. Both are great players, but I'll stick with our guy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.