O'Brien wins Bear Bryant award

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And the guy who won four of the last eight BCSCGs wasn't even a finalist, even though he lost the heart of defense to the NFL. Just how far down into the sand shall we stick our heads?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
It's all about feelings, and what makes the masses feel good about themselves. But, this isn't NS, so I will stop.

OK.........Sumlin makes the finals, 3 straight years, and................robbed, anyone?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that Saban's success is discounted because of the huge amount of talent that he has to work with. Not saying that it is right, but I believe it to be a factor. At least O'Brien won and not Kelly. You have to admit - what he did this year at PSU was pretty remarkable.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I think that Saban's success is discounted because of the huge amount of talent that he has to work with. Not saying that it is right, but I believe it to be a factor. At least O'Brien won and not Kelly. You have to admit - what he did this year at PSU was pretty remarkable.
True, he does have the talent, but he had to recruit that talent. and then develop that talent to play to the level needed to win those 4 NC's. Also, how much of that talent that has gone on to the NFL, credits CNS, because of his system, philosophy, and dedication to the 'process' as a major contributor to their advancement to the NFL. IMO, CNS should be in consideration for the BBA every year...once again...IMO.
Roll, Saban Tsunami, Roll!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
O'Brien was a feel good story
All of that talent didn't go to PSU because of O'Brien. He inherited it.
Paterno would have fielded a good team this year.
Paterno may have lost games that O'brien won... Crap Shoot.
This is throwing PSU a bone for O'Brien staying.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
All things considered, I think O'Brien is a good choice.

Of course, everybody in the country knows that Nick Saban is the best coach in college football.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
O'Brien was a feel good story
All of that talent didn't go to PSU because of O'Brien. He inherited it.
Paterno would have fielded a good team this year.
Paterno may have lost games that O'brien won... Crap Shoot.
This is throwing PSU a bone for O'Brien staying.
.....but a whole bunch of that talent defected and left the program...

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
Eh, I dunno...according to the official website www.bryantawards.com

The Paul "Bear" Bryant College Football Coaching Awards is an exclusive event that honors a college football coach whose great accomplishments, both on and off the field, are legendary. The award recognizes the masters of coaching and allows them to take their deserved place in history beside other legends like Bear Bryant.
Just me but I don't consider 8 wins under those conditions legendary...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My remark was more aimed at his not even being considered as a finalist. I just don't see how you can exclude him from the conversation...

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
My remark was more aimed at his not even being considered as a finalist. I just don't see how you can exclude him from the conversation...
Same way that ESPN uses the ND AD's comments as proof/argument for Teo's innocence. The media creates their own storylines and runs with it. CNS is only appreciated by a few media types; the rest loathe him. I'm sure CNS would rather keep winning titles than coaching awards.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Other finalist.....

Kevin Sumlin
Urban Meyer
Bill Snyder
David Shaw (Stanford)
James Franklin

Of the finalists, I'd have voted for Sumlin. Took a .500 team from last year into a new league and went 11-2 and beat the national champions. Lost by three to Florida and five to LSU. Flip either of those games and they are playing in Miami. Also coached a Heisman winner.

Not sure which finalist I'd kick out for Nick. (Sorry for the bad rhyme). I guess he's a vicitim of his own success when it comes to being Coach of the Year. Even if we had beaten Texas A&M, I doubt he'd have fared any better in the voting.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
True, but then you have to look at LSU, Florida and UGA. They always have the talent and are not able to do what Saban does...year after year.

O'Brien definitely did a great job with what he had, but Saban should have been considered.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
No doubt Saban should have been in the finals for consideration but I have no quarrels with O'Brien getting the award. He had a great year with a team that faced a lot of adversity. The true testament will come in the next few years on how well of a coach he is, that is if he decides to stick it out at Penn State.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.