Question: Offensive Line Assistant coaches

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
I hate to rain on the Pittman to Bama parade but why would he come here after just recently taking the Arky job and why would we want a guy that'd do that?
That should be pretty self explanatory. Nick Saban's name as a reference goes a long way, a much longer way than, well, anyone in college coaching and many in the pros. working successfully with CNS can be a gateway to any job you want. Bielema doesnt have that kind of cache

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The chance to coach for the best program in the country under the best coach in CFB would weigh pretty heavy on me, if I were in the position. The whole "why would we want a guy who would take a job after he recently took another job" argument is absurd to me, and it always has been. What if YOU took a job, and then two months later, a job making more money, more benefits, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, better job security became available? You'd take it in a minute, and if you didn't, I don't know what to say. Bielema is an unknown commodity in the SEC. If you come to work for Saban and do a good job, you will be able to work here a long time, unless you decide to leave on your own.

People forget all the time that this is these guy's jobs. It is foolish for a coach not to look out for his own interests, just like it is for everybody else. Just ask the recently fired Arkansas coaching staff...
What is absurd is not living up to a commitment. I realize it's a business but when you take a coaching job you commit to at least a year and it's not unreasonable to be expected to honor the contract. Why should we expect less from coaches than players?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
What is absurd is not living up to a commitment. I realize it's a business but when you take a coaching job you commit to at least a year and it's not unreasonable to be expected to honor the contract. Why should we expect less from coaches than players?
I agree it is absurd but this has been going on in college and professional sports for for many years. It's not new and I believe even the recruits and players themselves realize this part of the business.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think Chris Samuels was a very good player, but can he be a good teacher of the techniques needed that will be developing the line into the players that we need. Sometimes/many times a great player does not make a great teacher.

However, I think Coach Saban would know.
I agree. No disrespect to Samuels or Friend, but simply being an outstanding OL at Alabama would not necessarily make either of them what CNS wants in a OL coach. Some of the best coaches were not AA or even played for a major program, ie, CNS.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
OK. In a perfect world, I understand your point. But we live in an imperfect world and have a situation that needs to be remedied. Beyond an objection to pursuing someone already under contract elsewhere, what's your recommended solution?

I see a few options, none of which are good:
- Hire somebody who doesn't currently have a job at all. At this time of the year, there's usually a reason for that.

- Promote somebody already on staff. If Saban felt the best qualified person was already on the staff in a lesser role, I think he would have already done so. As other posters have already noted, having been a great player doesn't make you a great teacher and motivator.

- Do without a dedicated OL coach until after next season when the coaching carousel turns again. In the meantime, shuffle duties among existing staff.

If I've missed an alternative, I'm always up for education. If not, which of these undesirable solutions would you choose and why?

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
OK. In a perfect world, I understand your point. But we live in an imperfect world and have a situation that needs to be remedied. Beyond an objection to pursuing someone already under contract elsewhere, what's your recommended solution?

I see a few options, none of which are good:
- Hire somebody who doesn't currently have a job at all. At this time of the year, there's usually a reason for that.

- Promote somebody already on staff. If Saban felt the best qualified person was already on the staff in a lesser role, I think he would have already done so. As other posters have already noted, having been a great player doesn't make you a great teacher and motivator.

- Do without a dedicated OL coach until after next season when the coaching carousel turns again. In the meantime, shuffle duties among existing staff.

If I've missed an alternative, I'm always up for education. If not, which of these undesirable solutions would you choose and why?
I guess you completely missed my point. They guy just took the Arkansas job. I guess I'm in the minority by thinking he should at least coach a year there before moving on. I'm not at all saying we can't take a coach that has a job. Just maybe one who has an ounce of loyalty.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I guess you completely missed my point. They guy just took the Arkansas job. I guess I'm in the minority by thinking he should at least coach a year there before moving on. I'm not at all saying we can't take a coach that has a job. Just maybe one who has an ounce of loyalty.
Like Lame Kiffen did? I see your point but not a whole lot of difference in today's world. Again, not a new practice and loyalty does not mean a lot in the coaching business.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Like Lame Kiffen did? I see your point but not a whole lot of difference in today's world. Again, not a new practice and loyalty does not mean a lot in the coaching business.
Lame also took a newly hired OL coach from the Titans which led to litigation. The same coach he recently fired btw. Things like that can lead to bad blood between organizations and coaches. If he is a great coach maybe he's worth it, maybe not.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
You're right. I did miss your point, but I see now....there's no problem going after someone under contract, so long as it's not a recently-executed one.

That makes all the moral difference on the world, and somehow I failed to draw that distinction. I have no idea how that could have happened.

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
You're right. I did miss your point, but I see now....there's no problem going after someone under contract, so long as its not a recently-executed one.

That makes all the moral difference on the world, and somehow I failed to draw that distinction. I have no idea how that could have happened.
I guess from your point of view anything goes. Lets agree to disagree. I'm done.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I guess from your point of view anything goes. Lets agree to disagree. I'm done.
Before you get "done", please answer my question. If you got a new job, and two months later you got a job offer making more money, more benefits, and better job security, would you take it? Would you miss out on the opportunity, or would you stay at a lesser job in the name of loyalty? I'm curious to hear your response, especially if you say "no".

I'd hate to tell my wife and kids in 3 or 4 years (possibly) when I'm fired that I sure wish I had taken the better job. Football coaches are held to a golden standard of loyalty, but they get fired at the drop of the hat if they don't win football games.

In almost any other profession in the world, this would look like sound career move.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Before you get "done", please answer my question. If you got a new job, and two months later you got a job offer making more money, more benefits, and better job security, would you take it? Would you miss out on the opportunity, or would you stay at a lesser job in the name of loyalty? I'm curious to hear your response, especially if you say "no".

I'd hate to tell my wife and kids in 3 or 4 years (possibly) when I'm fired that I sure wish I had taken the better job. Football coaches are held to a golden standard of loyalty, but they get fired at the drop of the hat if they don't win football games.

In almost any other profession in the world, this would look like sound career move.
Yeah I would agree, but in this case it seems that he is trading more job stability for less job stability. Which had you rather do? Earn $300k for 10 years for $500k for 4years? Especially if you are a OL coach where it is not the ideal path to OC.

I just dont understand some of these assistant coaches sometimes. I could more understand Stoutland making the move to the NFL if he was going to work for a proven head coach. But I think we can all agree that Kelly and his tendencies are a total crapshoot at this point in the NFL. He is a bigger risk than Spurrier was when he went into the league. I predict Kelly wont last 3 years in the NFL - I dont think he has the leadership personality for it.

Same with Sunseri, I am sure he thought he was a DC in the making but why in the world do you jump on a sinking ship at UT just for the chance to be a DC?

Likewise with McIlwain, I know probably thought his window for HC jobs was closing but dont think a guy who choreographed 3 NC winning offenses would have better opportunities than Colorado State? He very well could have had the Kentucky job if he had hung around or even the La Tech job which is better than CSU as a stepping stone to bigger programs.

The only one who I think made a sound decision considering the circumstances is Pruitt. However, I question the leap in responsibility and whether that will workout. His rise rivals that of Applewhite's to OC and we know how that worked out.

It really seems that for most of these guys their decision to move is based on how big of a paycheck can I get right now rather than developing a pedigree for producing consistent winners.

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Yeah I would agree, but in this case it seems that he is trading more job stability for less job stability. Which had you rather do? Earn $300k for 10 years for $500k for 4years? Especially if you are a OL coach where it is not the ideal path to OC.

I just dont understand some of these assistant coaches sometimes. I could more understand Stoutland making the move to the NFL if he was going to work for a proven head coach. But I think we can all agree that Kelly and his tendencies are a total crapshoot at this point in the NFL. He is a bigger risk than Spurrier was when he went into the league. I predict Kelly wont last 3 years in the NFL - I dont think he has the leadership personality for it.

Same with Sunseri, I am sure he thought he was a DC in the making but why in the world do you jump on a sinking ship at UT just for the chance to be a DC?

Likewise with McIlwain, I know probably thought his window for HC jobs was closing but dont think a guy who choreographed 3 NC winning offenses would have better opportunities than Colorado State? He very well could have had the Kentucky job if he had hung around or even the La Tech job which is better than CSU as a stepping stone to bigger programs.

The only one who I think made a sound decision considering the circumstances is Pruitt. However, I question the leap in responsibility and whether that will workout. His rise rivals that of Applewhite's to OC and we know how that worked out.

It really seems that for most of these guys their decision to move is based on how big of a paycheck can I get right now rather than developing a pedigree for producing consistent winners.
I'm not talking about Stoutland. I'm talking about the possibly of CNS hiring Sam Pittman, Arky's OL coach. He was just hired by Bielema a few months ago, but there are rumors than CNS may be interested in him.

TLIT

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2011
Central VA
Given this tweet, I would guess that Pittman is not likely:

@BretBielema: Can't say THANK YOU enough to UA administration & support to keep our staff together when others call
It does bear mentioning, though, that Oklahoma is looking for an O-line coach as well.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Given this tweet, I would guess that Pittman is not likely:

It does bear mentioning, though, that Oklahoma is looking for an O-line coach as well.
I heard the OU o-line coach resigned today and some speculating it could possibly be to take the Bama job. Has anyone else heard this and who is the OU coach?

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
I was just curious as to who everyone would like to see as our new OL coach? I know they might not necessarily be the right fit but just wondering if people in the know could put some names out there. A few teams come to mind when I think about OL studded teams. Stanford and Wisconsin as well as Iowa seems to put a lot of OL in the NFL. Regardless "The Process" shall continue. Roll Tide!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.