Link: SI article implies that Bama football players used illegal substances (S.W.A.T.S.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
There can't be a failed drug test when there is no drug. Since IGF-1 cannot be delivered via spray, there can be no drug - period, end of story...
From what I've heard even if it was a drug it's not detectable at least by the nfl drug test. Don't know if NCAA uses the same.

I can't honestly see this story lasting that long what is there to talk about other than making fun of the guy and his negatively charged water and holographic "chips" aka stickers.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
From what I've heard even if it was a drug it's not detectable at least by the nfl drug test. Don't know if NCAA uses the same.

I can't honestly see this story lasting that long what is there to talk about other than making fun of the guy and his negatively charged water and holographic "chips" aka stickers.
Actually, if someone is injecting HGH or IGH-1, it is detectable by blood tests - not by urine tests. In this case, it's a no-brainer. Like Dr. Salvatori of John Hopkins said, there would be a lot of people happy not to have to take more shots if it could be delivered via spray...

Bamatide44

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 26, 2009
Until I start seeing antlers growing out of the heads of Bama players, I'm not going to worry one bit. This is just fodder for opposing fans at this point.

On another note, what the heck is up James Franklins butt?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm not sure what the motivation of this story is right now. Every scientist or doctor you can find says that the goods offered by Mitch Ross are not effective at all. Though IGF-1 is a banned substance, it is completely ineffective taken orally.

What is it with this Mitch Ross character? He seems to snake his way around any great program in this region. He seems to fabricate stories about testimonials. He's blatantly ignored two separate cease and desist orders from the University of Alabama. I'm sure Auburn and LSU have not been lacking in that regard either. Furthermore, he is a young, health buff guy who can get himself close to young athletes and put their eligibility at risk with his actions. His wares are phony in terms of performance-enhance effects but the possible quid pro quo offerings of his phony goods could endanger our players and every other teams' players in this region.

He's clearly a well-seasoned sociopathic liar and he's a threat to the SEC. Mitch Ross needs to be taken down quick because I feel like he's going to be a headache.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm not sure what the motivation of this story is right now. Every scientist or doctor you can find says that the goods offered by Mitch Ross are not effective at all. Though IGF-1 is a banned substance, it is completely ineffective taken orally.

What is it with this Mitch Ross character? He seems to snake his way around any great program in this region. He seems to fabricate stories about testimonials. He's blatantly ignored two separate cease and desist orders from the University of Alabama. I'm sure Auburn and LSU have not been lacking in that regard either. Furthermore, he is a young, health buff guy who can get himself close to young athletes and put their eligibility at risk with his actions. His wares are phony in terms of performance-enhance effects but the possible quid pro quo offerings of his phony goods could endanger our players and every other teams' players in this region.

He's clearly a well-seasoned sociopathic liar and he's a threat to the SEC. Mitch Ross needs to be taken down quick because I feel like he's going to be a headache.
Have to agree with all that...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, a whole new twist pops up. The URL is Goodbread's article from today's T-Town News. The problem is on the third page. Apparently, Keys is claiming the players promised to endorse his products in the future in exchange for free use. I'm not sure I've ever heard of anything quite like that and I don't know of anything similar to come to the attention of the NCAA. One question is whether their promise was even enforceable (several reasons it might not be legally), and the products were useless, anyway. Elsewhere, Keys has gone on record saying that he would swear the kids paid for the substances, so not much credibility there...

LINK

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm beginning to think that there has to be some kind of scandal created by the media or others any time any sports team or individual is trying to enjoy any type of success. Dig, dig, dig and find something bad or make it up. It's ridiculous.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Just read a followup article published today telling how the University has issued multiple Cease and Desist letters telling the bozos to leave our players alone.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/01/alabama_says_controversial_sup.html#incart_river

At this stage of Saban's process, I'm surprised he can't simply instruct his team to avoid the bozos and their products, and have it stick.

Instead, we seem to be asking them in a very sincere manner not to get with these bozos, please. And when they disobey, we are left saying, well boys will be boys, after all they are young and naive.

What part of "these guys are bad news selling junk and they can get you in trouble" is not getting through to our players? It seems so easy to understand.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Well, a whole new twist pops up. The URL is Goodbread's article from today's T-Town News. The problem is on the third page. Apparently, Keys is claiming the players promised to endorse his products in the future in exchange for free use. I'm not sure I've ever heard of anything quite like that and I don't know of anything similar to come to the attention of the NCAA. One question is whether their promise was even enforceable (several reasons it might not be legally), and the products were useless, anyway. Elsewhere, Keys has gone on record saying that he would swear the kids paid for the substances, so not much credibility there...

LINK
I just read the article you linked...what caught my attention was the final paragraph:

While Alabama players’ PED testing was clean, Key’s claim that no SWATS product can produce a positive test has been disputed in court. According to the SI story, former St. Louis Rams linebacker David Vobora sued SWATS over a positive test for a different substance — methyltestosterone — and was awarded $5.4 million in a default judgment in 2011. According to Vobora’s lawsuit, his attorneys had the deer antler spray tested for methyltestos-terone with a positive result.
I'm surprised these guys were able to stay in business after that $5.4 million judgement went against them, if the story is accurate and I'm understanding it correctly.

100%Crimson

All-SEC
Feb 4, 2004
What I am tired of hearing is no one is saying anything about other teams. LSU, Georgia, etc. It's only about Alabama. Also, how is it we can't seem to keep the freaks away from the team? I mean, really! How many times do you have to say it....these are snake oil salesmen and they only want your money? This story is not going to go away until something or someone breaks. JMO.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
There can't be a failed drug test when there is no drug. Since IGF-1 cannot be delivered via spray, there can be no drug - period, end of story...
so you're saying that the "male enhancement" spray supplements i've been buying at my local asian market may not work? :biggrin2:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I just read the article you linked...what caught my attention was the final paragraph:

I'm surprised these guys were able to stay in business after that $5.4 million judgement went against them, if the story is accurate and I'm understanding it correctly.
It could be under appeal. Also, these local crooks are just runners. They have no idea what's in the bottles. If it involved another school, it would be fascinating for a lawyer. Say I offer you a useless substance, on a handshake - nothing in writing, in exchange for your promise to endorse it at some future time. The product, as I said, does nothing, and, I'm sure that our staff made sure the players (all of them) got educated as to the uselessness of the products. So the kids broke their verbal promise to endorse a useless product(s). Frankly, I just hope they admitted the verbal promise to the NCAA and our investigators. That, to me, would seem to be the only point to worry about - if the players fibbed to NCAA investigators about the promise. I have no idea if the NCAA would come back and punish that or not...

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
so you're saying that the "male enhancement" spray supplements i've been buying at my local asian market may not work? :biggrin2:
Why would you buy "male enhancement" from the Asian store!!??

Now the one I buy off of Martin Luther King Drive is the bomb diggity and I highly recommend it!;)

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
It could be under appeal. Also, these local crooks are just runners. They have no idea what's in the bottles. If it involved another school, it would be fascinating for a lawyer. Say I offer you a useless substance, on a handshake - nothing in writing, in exchange for your promise to endorse it at some future time. The product, as I said, does nothing, and, I'm sure that our staff made sure the players (all of them) got educated as to the uselessness of the products. So the kids broke their verbal promise to endorse a useless product(s). Frankly, I just hope they admitted the verbal promise to the NCAA and our investigators. That, to me, would seem to be the only point to worry about - if the players fibbed to NCAA investigators about the promise. I have no idea if the NCAA would come back and punish that or not...
How can they (snake oil salesmen) prove there was a verbal promise? Video or audio tape? If that doesn't exist, then there is no proof, right?

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
How can they (snake oil salesmen) prove there was a verbal promise? Video or audio tape? If that doesn't exist, then there is no proof, right?
Here is what this guy does:

He gets in with a few guys, sells his product that they may or may not use, and then uses what little contact he has had with them to make up huge frivolous stories about how they have used his product, etc.

Just like the Ray Lewis ordeal. He has used the Super Bowl to get free promotion for his product! All these businesses are paying millions of dollars to get 30 second commercials, but this dude is getting his product pushed during the interviews with the most famous player (Ray Lewis) for free!!!!!!!!!

He knows what he is doing...

This is no coincidence that all this is coming out now! He is a snake in the grass and uses other people's hard work and fame to benefit himself. And unfortunately, with the climate of the media today, we bite hook, line, and sinker!:rolleyes:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Correct! ;) The interesting thing is that NIH did a rat study, where they fed the control group normal rat chow and fed the test group rat chow to which they had added ground up deer velvet, which is always in the traditional Asian "enhancement" products. The result was benefits in physical and mental development. However, there were many other ingredients in the feed, in addition to IGF-1, making it hard to tell what fraction helped. Also, as I've said above, and has been being made clear by the medical authorities, these GFs are big molecules - peptides with multiple strings of amino acids - so absorption through the skin or mucous membrane is just a pipe dream. If you take in in tablet form, your stomach just digests it and it is eliminated, hence the need for injection. Here is the URL for the NIH project. It's thick reading -

LINK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.