The "Stare Down" Was A Huge ND Pre-Game Mistake In My Opinion

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I guess it's a Notre Dame tradition to line up and kinda stare down their opponents as they exit their locker rooms.

They did it in "Rudy" and they did it Monday Night as we exited the tunnel.

I really think that was a bad bad move because I can't help but think that feeble attempt at intimidation accomplished one thing---It ticked our players off and pumped them up even more so than they already were.

Just an observation but I really thought it was dumb on their part.

sip

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As I watched that play out on TV I was thinking that the Alabama players looked HUGE, and ND players looked nervous. If they were trying to "stare down" the Alabama players, they failed.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I guess it's a Notre Dame tradition to line up and kinda stare down their opponents as they exit their locker rooms.

I really think that was a bad bad move because I can't help but think that feeble attempt at intimidation accomplished one thing---It ticked our players off and pumped them up even more so than they already were.

sip
it was a feeble attempt. actually, i would guess that our team didn't really care. i think the die was already cast at that point. when i watched the replay last night, it was funny to watch how amped the nd defenders were after the first couple of tackles they made (on kick off and lacy's first run). its so cute when they still think they have a chance ;)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Heck I just thought it was done that way because of the arrangement. Teams had to exit the same tunnel, and Alabama had to go first because we were the "road" team. In any event, our guys seemed not to even notice that they were there.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
another thing i noticed was that before, during warmups etc. the cameras kept getting shots of the nd players (especially te'o) "pumping" each other up during warm ups and the intensity would always rise a bit when the cameras were on them.

they went down to shoot our players and steen motioned the cameras away and kept going through warm-ups.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Heck I just thought it was done that way because of the arrangement. Teams had to exit the same tunnel, and Alabama had to go first because we were the "road" team. In any event, our guys seemed not to even notice that they were there.
Like during the game?:)

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
sip
I saw the same thing you did. I thought the 'Stare Down' attempt, was a sign of dis-respect toward our team.
IMO: That piece of 'Gamesmanship' came back to bite em.

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
When you're smaller, weaker, and less talented than your opponent, staring doesn't help.

Did anyone notice how much earlier the Notre Dame team arrived at the Stadium than the Bama team? Seemed like they had been there for awhile when they showed the Bama buses arriving.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
another thing i noticed was that before, during warmups etc. the cameras kept getting shots of the nd players (especially te'o) "pumping" each other up during warm ups and the intensity would always rise a bit when the cameras were on them.

they went down to shoot our players and steen motioned the cameras away and kept going through warm-ups.
It's amazing the subtle details you pick up on about Coach Saban's operation when you're watching the product on the field. Thankfully for us, those things are never subtle to him.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I don't discount your point but personally I don't think it mattered. After listening to post game comments from players I really don't believe our players were affected by any of the hype surrounding the game one way or another. I don't think they were worried about the ND players, the ND scheme, who got how much media coverage...none of it. I think they simply intended to come out, execute to the best of their ability, and be satisfied with that. I think ND was just a nameless, faceless opponent. The only scoreboard was the one that measured the result of the current play and their only motivation was their own standards of excellence.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
The game is won Sunday thru Friday. Seriously.

Staring...all that jumping up & down, woofing & hollering, that's all "clutter" as Coach Saban and Dr. Ilko like to say.

I try to teach the kids that I coach that all that pre-game nonsense and "motivation" only lasts for about 5 minutes or until you get hit in the mouth. After that, it comes down to execution. And I don't care how motivated they were, Notre Dame was out-executed in EVERY.....FACET...OF...THE...GAME

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It's amazing the subtle details you pick up on about Coach Saban's operation when you're watching the product on the field. Thankfully for us, those things are never subtle to him.
while we can definitely be beat from time to time, bama is currently existing on another level than pretty much any other program in the country and its because of those little things. also, (at least i think) that is not something that coach told them to do. it is more the product of players buying into the system and figuring the right thing to do on their own (also see nico's comments after the game).

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
I agree the stare down was a huge mistake.

With the Miami humidity it obviously dried their eyes out and made it tough on them to execute!

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I said that to my wife. Only a couple of walk-ons on our squad even looked in their direction.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
while we can definitely be beat from time to time, bama is currently existing on another level than pretty much any other program in the country and its because of those little things. also, (at least i think) that is not something that coach told them to do. it is more the product of players buying into the system and figuring the right thing to do on their own (also see nico's comments after the game).
Oh no, I too don't think he coaches them to do those very specific things. But he's a master at conditioning their minds to be focused and dedicated to the task at hand and removing all of that "clutter." And we see the end result in those little things and of course, the winning.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
That and Manti Teo beating his chest like Tarzan as they were exiting the tunnel just came off as manufactured bravado to me. I'm glad we don't rely on cheap theatrics like that and do our talking on the field.

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado
The game is won Sunday thru Friday. Seriously.

Staring...all that jumping up & down, woofing & hollering, that's all "clutter" as Coach Saban and Dr. Ilko like to say.
Yes... to us, that is.

For them if it was something they may have been counting on having an effect on us; when it doesn't work it ends up being backfiring as the "uh oh, they're not intimidated by us" begins to settle into the back of their minds.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.