The "Stare Down" Was A Huge ND Pre-Game Mistake In My Opinion

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
while we can definitely be beat from time to time, bama is currently existing on another level than pretty much any other program in the country and its because of those little things. also, (at least i think) that is not something that coach told them to do. it is more the product of players buying into the system and figuring the right thing to do on their own (also see nico's comments after the game).
Right now, there are 3 categories of football: college, pro, and a thin layer between the two occupied solely by Alabama.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
That was Josh Magee a WR from Hoover. I don't think it hit ND until they got to see Alabama up close that they were in for a long night.
I watched both teams warm-up and remarked to my wife how intimidating we looked compared to them. Not that I was surprised at all. Only thing those poor domers could come up with after they saw us on the field the first time was some false bravado. Then nothing else left for them after they felt our first hits. Reminds me of what that idiot Fran said the first time he faced UT when he was at Bama, remarking how during team warm-ups he wanted those other players over there. About as stupid as Kelly saying what he did Monday about not showing up for the second half. Seeing those domer players penned back there in the tunnel makes me think of the poor souls about to go out to face the lions.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
I did notice this. I think it was for Coach Kelly to talk and get his photo taken with ex-ND greats like Theisman and other celebrities. I saw Kelly doing this and I was thinking to myself could you imagine coach Saban doing this before any game. I guess if your coach is star-struck and wide eyed your team will be too.
Theismann is a good guy. I got to work with him last year on a project in Georgia. He respects Alabama football; he said that he knows Coach Saban. Told me that after he was fired from Monday nite football that he got offered the job to work color commentator on college football prime time games; decided not to accept it. Said initially he was going to play for Lou Holtz at NC State until Ara Parsighian and Notre Dame offered.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
Dude, the stare down SCREWED US. You guys game out doing freaking jumping jacks, loose and ready to battle. We looked like deer in headlights.

I thought the stare down was absolutely moronic. It gave me a sick feeling from the start.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Dude, the stare down SCREWED US. You guys game out doing freaking jumping jacks, loose and ready to battle. We looked like deer in headlights.

I thought the stare down was absolutely moronic. It gave me a sick feeling from the start.
HAHA..Yeah your Boys definitely stirred up the hornets nest from the get-go with that stare down..Good luck next year..If Coach Kelly stays with y'all..I have a feeling we'll have a rematch in the future..

PS..As you can tell from this thread that we have a name for that "deer in the headlight" look..We call it "Processed"...

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
Flash Back. That was the tunnel scene I was thinking about. A little more engaging back then. Ole Brent was a much younger.
Haha yeah. That's when, at halftime, Lou told our ND boys that if UM wanted to fight, to leave Jimmy Johnson for him.

Lou would have gotten killed.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Haha yeah. That's when, at halftime, Lou told our ND boys that if UM wanted to fight, to leave Jimmy Johnson for him.

One of my friends was a student at ND during Holtz's years. I had the opportunity to attend a few games in South Bend with my friend during those years - sat in the student section, attended the pep rallies, partied at the 'Backer, etc. Holtz seems like an idiot now, but he was a real motivator back then. I was a huge fan of his, even if I never liked the Irish.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Well, he did play LB at Kent ST. Of course, Saban played DB there. Both of them would do well to stay in their weight classes, though... :D

lynyrd skynyrd

All-American
Apr 8, 2004
Jacksonville, Florida USA
I guess it's a Notre Dame tradition to line up and kinda stare down their opponents as they exit their locker rooms.

They did it in "Rudy" and they did it Monday Night as we exited the tunnel.

I really think that was a bad bad move because I can't help but think that feeble attempt at intimidation accomplished one thing---It ticked our players off and pumped them up even more so than they already were.

Just an observation but I really thought it was dumb on their part.

sip
They never have been very smart

BamaBriar

Scout Team
Mar 24, 2011
I like the event staff trying not to laugh as the bama players streamed almost single file out of the locker room past the stare down.

Last edited:

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Our teAm was loose. Seemed really confident.

You just can't say enough about the entire coaching staff & all the over achievers on this team, lot of Heart on this team, just look at the back ups.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.