Game Thread: Super Bowl thread...

cuddlemonkey

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 5, 2011
Mobile, AL
How many yards from the line of scrimmage did that contact occur? I don't recall, but I do recall wondering why a flag wasn't thrown on that play.
As the poster above said, holding doesn't get the 5 yard cushion that PI does. Even if it did, that looks to be 5-7 yards from the LOS.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Late in the game, on 4th down in post season play, you can't expect to get that call.
The NFL tells the refs to stand down in that situation, let the players play.

Seemed to be plenty of things that didn't get called in this game, like the late hit on Flacco out of bounds and the arm bar on Torrey Smith early in the game.

I understand Jim Harbaugh being frustrated, but he should also understand the situation and quit acting like a baby when things don't go his way.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm pretty bummed....Waited 18 years to get back here. This hurts....badly...

What's even more upsetting? The way we (SF) lost this Super Bowl is the same way we (Bama) lost to A&M. Less than 10 yards to go to get into the endzone to win a game after falling behind BIG early on....And the play calling...Almost the SAME questionable play calls that we (Bama) made (i.e. cutting off half the field and rolling right). Hurt, man...

But at the same time, I have never rooted against the Ravens before tonight. I have so much respect for Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata, Matt Birk, Boldin, Ray Lewis...And not to mention all the Bama ties. So kudos to them. I always thought Reed deserved one because he got there the year after they won the last one. Congrats to the Ravens and their fans....but I hope we can get back next year.
I've pulled for the SF in the past but I'm not a real fan of any NFL team. I pulled for the Ravens because of the Bama ties.

Having said that, SF benefited greatly from the 30+ minute blackout. Without that they're on the ropes trying to keep from getting blown out with the game clock running. That's more difficult to do than sitting around for, in effect 2 additional halftimes, figuring out what you need to do to get back in the game.

tambo410

1st Team
Nov 25, 2008
Fallston, MD
www.vrbo.com
Have to say it has been great being a football fan for me this year! Bama and Ravens both winning it all is way more that a die hard fan of both teams could ask for!

Roll Tide / Go Ravens!

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
If SF runs Kapernick near they goal line on that last drive, they score. Also, the killer ended up being the kickoff return for a TD.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The Ravens were lucky to slide past this year. I was hoping a fundamentally sound defense with two weeks to watch tape on a ten game starter would be able to shut him down. What do they do? They stunt the outside containment inside and just leave the guy lanes to run in all night. They bite on the fakes, they don't play fundamental tackle football. Of course that was after the commish (or the bookies) had the lights turned off to stall their momentum...;)

Now for Phil Simms, what exactly does he bring to the broadcast? He was far from an expert last night. He didn't really think the blackout affected the Ravens? They were smoking hot at the time and about to bury the 49ers. That was the equivalent of taking a timeout in basketball, it dulled their edge. At the end of the game when the other guy asked about the safety Simms was oblivious to the fact that it was a legitimate choice in the situation. It could not be predicted that San Fran wouldn't rush and the punter would kill that much time, but it was still an option to prevent a punt return. All in all it was a good game and I really liked the Doritos eating goat.

The Ravens were lucky to slide past this year. I was hoping a fundamentally sound defense with two weeks to watch tape on a ten game starter would be able to shut him down. What do they do? They stunt the outside containment inside and just leave the guy lanes to run in all night. They bite on the fakes, they don't play fundamental tackle football. Of course that was after the commish (or the bookies) had the lights turned off to stall their momentum...;)

Now for Phil Simms, what exactly does he bring to the broadcast? He was far from an expert last night. He didn't really think the blackout affected the Ravens? They were smoking hot at the time and about to bury the 49ers. That was the equivalent of taking a timeout in basketball, it dulled their edge. At the end of the game when the other guy asked about the safety Simms was oblivious to the fact that it was a legitimate choice in the situation. It could not be predicted that San Fran wouldn't rush and the punter would kill that much time, but it was still an option to prevent a punt return. All in all it was a good game and I really liked the Doritos eating goat.
Simms and Nantz are routinely considered the worst "A" team of the NFL's broadcast partners. They lived up to the hype last night.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I've pulled for the SF in the past but I'm not a real fan of any NFL team. I pulled for the Ravens because of the Bama ties.

Having said that, SF benefited greatly from the 30+ minute blackout. Without that they're on the ropes trying to keep from getting blown out with the game clock running. That's more difficult to do than sitting around for, in effect 2 additional halftimes, figuring out what you need to do to get back in the game.
I respectfully disagree. I see it the same as Ahmad Brooks: "It (the blackout) had no bearing on the game. It just took us longer to lose."

We played poorly in critical situations and didn't make enough big plays. Momentum is overblown and overrated. We would have made our plays. They would have made theirs. :-(

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
If SF runs Kapernick near they goal line on that last drive, they score. Also, the killer ended up being the kickoff return for a TD.
Nah. The killer was the almost delay of game penalty that Harbaugh saves us on from a penalty. That play was a QB counter to the left and the only thing in front of Kaepernick was Frank Gore blocking. Mental breakdown that hurt badly.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
At the end of the game when the other guy asked about the safety Simms was oblivious to the fact that it was a legitimate choice in the situation. It could not be predicted that San Fran wouldn't rush and the punter would kill that much time, but it was still an option to prevent a punt return.
The play that resulted in a safety was brilliant and should have been discussed more. The Ravens deliberately & blatantly holding the 49er rushers so that more time could be run off the clock showed a lot of football smarts.

There was no downside to holding because the Ravens were going to concede a safety anyway.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The play that resulted in a safety was brilliant and should have been discussed more. The Ravens deliberately & blatantly holding the 49er rushers so that more time could be run off the clock showed a lot of football smarts.

There was no downside to holding because the Ravens were going to concede a safety anyway.
Agreed. Brilliant call (the holding) by the special teams coach.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Great game to watch. San Francisco's defensive secondary looked pretty bad all game and I think that was the difference- especially on third down. Maybe SF's secondary isn't used to having to cover so long with the Smith's getting a strong push up front to pressure the QB. Without that pressure, Flacco was able to pick them apart when coverage broke down. Culliver in particular was burned several times and ended up totally lost.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
LOL - I can see how a Falcons fan would feel this way. And maybe 49ers fans have no reason to cry, with your logic in mind. ---snip--- I can see that you feel differently. We will have to agree to disagree.
Agreed - and LOL back-with/at-cha - 49ers fans can cry if it works for them or they can look back at 50 other blown opportunities to have won the game without the call. I was glad they made a game of it and FWIW - I was more of an Ozzie, Cody and Upshaw fan last night than anything else! My Falcons yielded when they decided not to hire someone that could handle Vernon Davis over the middle.

Last edited:

DCETP

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2012
Baltimore was probably not a better team than SF, but they were better prepared for this game. Like him or not, part of that was because of Ray Lewis. He's a flawed person, and didn't play particularly well last night, but he's a leader like few others. IMO, the timing of his retirement announcement was exactly for the reason of giving his team the motivation to get to the SB and win it.

As far as my prediction that Kaepernick would get shut down, that didn't really happen. Sure he threw a pick, but for the most part he played with poise and patience. He'll probably be around for a while.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.