Thoughts on 2013's Defense.

bonehouse81

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2006
Clarksville, TN
NT is the position I am most concerned about. I noticed a dropoff when Ivory came in. Hopefully Lake can make a big jump in his second year. We must have a dominant NT to stop the run. I am a little surprised we are not going after a JUCO to fill the need for at least competition here. I hate to say it, but AU just picked up a good looking JUCO NT type player and I watched his tape. Looked very good to me.
I agree. As important at NT is, you'd think we'd make absolutely sure to have no fewer than two reliable guys on the roster at all times, and no fewer than three bodies at the position at any time.

Lake isn't one of those guys right now, but he could be next season. And who else is there? I don't think Ball's that big right now, and might not ever be.

Crimson_Knight

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2006
This is for next years team.

Bama 2013 Offense.

Here is what I am seeing for next year.
What I feel good about. I think our OLINE will be fine. Even if I am wrong about 1 or 2 guys, there are guys on the roster that’s been thru offseason workouts and spring ball. They will gel and be ready for Va Tech and then a week off to improve before the showdown with Jonny football.

Receivers are experienced and talented. They have some great depth.

Running backs should I say any more, wow unbelievable on what has gone on here since 2008.

HB and TE. This is what bothers me. Yes I saw where Volger was more involved and Jones played a little but this could be a problem. We need that flex person at HB with the traditional big TE.

RT C Kourandjio
LT Brown, Shepard
G A Steen
G A Kourandjio, A Taylor?
C R Kelly
QB AJ McCarron
RB TJ Yeldon, , Drake, Hart?, Henry, A Tenpenny
WRX A Cooper, White
WRZ K Norwood, Bell
WRH C Jones, C Black, Shinn
TE B Vogler, M Ficane
TE/H Fowler, O Howard : Who can fill Smelleys shoes at this position. We missed him in at least 3 games this past season. There are options here. Who knew Kelly Johnson would start, I sure did not.

Bama 2013 Defense

The strength of this D will be the back 4 plus the Star. At safety there is depth and talent.
For linebacker, having CJ return is simply awesome. Plus there are some young guys that will make some noise.

Dlineman are very young. Ivory came on this season and should be the guy next season unless one of the young guys steps up. D Lake, Ball or Paige at NG.

CB J Fulton
CB D Belue
CB G Smith
FS H Clinton Dix, N Perry
SS V Sunseri, L Collins, J Williams
Mike T DePriest
WILL CJ or R Ragland
Jack X Dickson, D Devall
SAM A Hubbard, J Atchison
DE E Stinson, Pettway,
DE J Pagan, K Kirven
NG B Ivory, D Lake

I did not go over special teams. But if someone wants to look at that I am sure no one would complain.

The good news is the guys on the roster and EEs will have 30 + plus practices before Va Tech. . Mix that with offseason workouts and Va Tech better fasten their chin straps a little tighter. Then offseason for Coach to go over the no huddle, Jonny Football, can’t wait people!!!!

April is just around the corner to see who is where and the Spring game should be awesome!!
Roll Tide and enjoy the ride

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
What about Bradley Sylve? I haven't heard much about him. He is certainly one of the fastest players on the team.

Harold Howard

Suspended
Jan 9, 2013
I thought Clinton-Dix deserved the defensive MVP on Monday. If he plays to that standard - and keeps on improving - then he's a legit All-American candidate next year. Our secondary could really do with him stepping up and taking on a leadership role too.

I thought Clinton-Dix deserved the defensive MVP on Monday. If he plays to that standard - and keeps on improving - then he's a legit All-American candidate next year. Our secondary could really do with him stepping up and taking on a leadership role too.
Yeah, he and Geno got better as the season went on. With the spring and summer programs they'll only get better.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
This is for next years team.

Bama 2013 Offense.

Here is what I am seeing for next year.
What I feel good about. I think our OLINE will be fine. Even if I am wrong about 1 or 2 guys, there are guys on the roster that’s been thru offseason workouts and spring ball. They will gel and be ready for Va Tech and then a week off to improve before the showdown with Jonny football.

Receivers are experienced and talented. They have some great depth.

Running backs should I say any more, wow unbelievable on what has gone on here since 2008.

HB and TE. This is what bothers me. Yes I saw where Volger was more involved and Jones played a little but this could be a problem. We need that flex person at HB with the traditional big TE.

RT C Kourandjio
LT Brown, Shepard
G A Steen
G A Kourandjio, A Taylor?
C R Kelly
QB AJ McCarron
RB TJ Yeldon, , Drake, Hart?, Henry, A Tenpenny
WRX A Cooper, White
WRZ K Norwood, Bell
WRH C Jones, C Black, Shinn
TE B Vogler, M Ficane
TE/H Fowler, O Howard : Who can fill Smelleys shoes at this position. We missed him in at least 3 games this past season. There are options here. Who knew Kelly Johnson would start, I sure did not.

Bama 2013 Defense

The strength of this D will be the back 4 plus the Star. At safety there is depth and talent.
For linebacker, having CJ return is simply awesome. Plus there are some young guys that will make some noise.

Dlineman are very young. Ivory came on this season and should be the guy next season unless one of the young guys steps up. D Lake, Ball or Paige at NG.

CB J Fulton
CB D Belue
CB G Smith
FS H Clinton Dix, N Perry
SS V Sunseri, L Collins, J Williams
Mike T DePriest
WILL CJ or R Ragland
Jack X Dickson, D Devall
SAM A Hubbard, J Atchison
DE E Stinson, Pettway,
DE J Pagan, K Kirven
NG B Ivory, D Lake

I did not go over special teams. But if someone wants to look at that I am sure no one would complain.

The good news is the guys on the roster and EEs will have 30 + plus practices before Va Tech. . Mix that with offseason workouts and Va Tech better fasten their chin straps a little tighter. Then offseason for Coach to go over the no huddle, Jonny Football, can’t wait people!!!!

April is just around the corner to see who is where and the Spring game should be awesome!!
Roll Tide and enjoy the ride
Cyrus was our starting LT and is the prototype LT so he will be playing at LT next year and for many years in the NFL. Now the RT postion will be up for grabs w/ Brown and Shepard.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Cornerback is the position that concerns me. Ideally, we'd have 4 game ready CBs. Is Sylve or Jabriel Washington ready to step up ? I love Vinnie, but he's not the ideal slot cover guy.

Crimson_Knight

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2006
What about Bradley Sylve? I haven't heard much about him. He is certainly one of the fastest players on the team.
True on his speed and he has the size. I think Coach will make sure that no matter what there will be young guys with experience every year to step in. Do not be surprised to see young corners and safeties to get experience this fall.

Harold Howard

Suspended
Jan 9, 2013
True on his speed and he has the size. I think Coach will make sure that no matter what there will be young guys with experience every year to step in. Do not be surprised to see young corners and safeties to get experience this fall.
Hopefully Coach Brown is going to help get the young guys ready for fall.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
He may not know what to do with himself and all this talent. What is Coach Brown's resume. Did he coach any one that did well in the NFL?
He's coached for 30 years with about 15 in both NFL and NCAA. The thread about his hiring has a link to his bio. He coached 2 Thorpe winners at Colorado. He also was on some teams in the NFL that had incredible pass defenses its worth a look. He seems to have a ton of experience to take a job as a position coach but maybe that is just what he loves.

smohabbat

Scout Team
Oct 13, 2011
Geno Smith proved why he was such a coveted recruit going into the season. Geno really stepped up and so did HaHa. our secondary will be solid

Elwood Crimson

1st Team
Jul 27, 2004
HaHa is a great safety and outplayed Sunseri the whole year despite the fact Sunseri saw significant time on defense his freshman year unlike HaHa. Collins needs to and is going to replace Sunseri or without a doubt Collins is going to transfer. he's too talented to be playing strictly on ST. Sunseri can be worked into dime packages and blitzing 3rd downs. He should be the captain of our ST unit too.
Seriously? If Collins was ready he would have played. I think by now we should not be second guessing CNS's ability to evaluate player readiness. Any RS freshman complaining about playing time obviously isn't focused on the process.

MVKTR2

1st Team
May 29, 2008
What my eyes tell me:
• Bama needs Lake to push Ivory as they both need development as there was significant drop off when big Jessie rotated out, however Ivory did play very well in spurts. Translation: Bama needs consistency here.
• Pagan & Pettway are going to have a rusty razor blade brawl to decide who leads at end. Pettway certainly showed a lot and seemed to make a few more plays as well as get more PT toward the end of the season.
• Dickson and Devall seem to have moved ahead of Hubbard whom I think will find his PT diminishing as others are going to be pushing him as well.
• ILBs are set CJ/DePriest as are the OLBs, just a possible changing of order with Hubbard falling off some?
• Bama doesn't win the Nat. Champ. without Geno Smith coming on late in the year, Sunseri was exposed against better WRs.
• I apparently think more of Fulton's play than the coaches did as I was begging for much of the year for him to take a wide corner spot pushing Belue/Miliner to star.
• I love Sunseri's play making abaility, but think it's best for Bama if he's a role player/has a special package or as the 6th DB. My hope is that Collins/Perry have a knock down drag out fight and take one of the S positions, Collins preferably as he was deadly on ST as the year progressed.
• Dix was wonderful in the Nat Champ game. Is the light finally fully on? Hope so as it would be HUGE!

Overall: I think we're okay everywhere with the only real questions being consistency with losing 3 of our top 4 DLs. Can the NG position hold up? Will the DBs get it done/develop enough for another championship run (they almost cost us this one)? The LB corp is better than fine. All in all Bama plays a fairly easy schedule next year VaTech is trending downward, TAM early will be tough but not as tough if their OTs both go pro as expected, and Bama misses UGA, USC, & UF from the east this year. (would actually like for a directional/worst school on the schedule to be replaced with a lower end BCS team ie Kansas, Illinois, or Duke type school). Repeating or winning another SEC Championship will depend on development at NG, OL, DBs, & Special Teams which is chiefly gutted!

smohabbat

Scout Team
Oct 13, 2011
Seriously? If Collins was ready he would have played. I think by now we should not be second guessing CNS's ability to evaluate player readiness. Any RS freshman complaining about playing time obviously isn't focused on the process.

Seriously? reading comprehension? where in that post did I say that Collins was complaining about playing time? I didnt say he should start as a freshman, I said he should be starting over Sunseri going forward and he most likely will. What did Sunseri show throughout the season that proved Collins couldnt pass him?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Collins was a true freshman. If Vinnie is starting over a healthy Collins, Bama's secondary will have issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.

Edowell

Jan 10, 2013
Has anyone heard about the progress Eddie williams has made. I would look forward to seeing him on the field sometimes next year

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
I think looking at the BCSCG to see where our defense is headed into next year can be very misleading. Our secondary still concerns me heading into next year because we face much better talent than ND week in and out. Just because our secondary looked pretty strong in that game doesn't really tell us anything. That game is really a statistical outlier and should be removed from the equation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think looking at the BCSCG to see where our defense is headed into next year can be very misleading. Our secondary still concerns me heading into next year because we face much better talent than ND week in and out. Just because our secondary looked pretty strong in that game doesn't really tell us anything. That game is really a statistical outlier and should be removed from the equation.
I may be looking through some thick crimson glasses, but I don't see much of a problem with the 2013 secondary.

Top 3 CBs bring plenty of experience:
Fulton
Belue
Smith

Safeties will have plenty of experience all throughout the depth chart.
HaHa
Collins
Sunseri
Perry
Jarrick Williams
Eddie Williams

CNS admitted late in the season that he wishes he played Geno Smith more earlier in the season. For that reason, I expect to see some of the younger DBs play as much as possible in the blowouts.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.