Link: SN: Father of Manti Te'o urges people to not read hometown newspaper

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Unfortunately the media isn't in the business of making genuine friendships and have no loyalties. When Mr. Te'o was giving out interviews, photo's and such (because his son was doing great). The media was more than likely his best friend. Mr. Te'o just didn't realize they didn't care on bit about his son, his "great story" and the like. They just wanted to sell newspapers. So, when his son got his jock strapped yanked down in front of the world and exposed for what he really was, which was an overrated LB. The media jumped on the other side of the fence and took advantage of the situation. Hence the photo.
Buzz, a newspaper's responsibility is to sell copies by printing the truth. Based on the game that we all saw, is there anything inaccurate in that photo? Young Mr. Teo is the biggest sports celebrity on the islands. Thus he has to appear in the game photo that also captures the nature of the game. Terrific shot, by the way.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Did anybody think that Te'o looked small. There were several times he would stand next to Lacy or Yeldon and I thought there is no way he is 255 or whatever they list him at.

Teo is the face of their team, the picture somes up what happened in the game pretty well. The guy got a second place finish in the Heisman because of media love, he needs to learn to deal with the criticism if he is going to accept the media adulation.

Also did anyone else think that Te'o looked like swampthing at the Heisman?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think the Tide fans got a bit of "T'eo fatigue" in the big build up, particularly when so little was being written about Mosely, who is probably really a better LB. That may explain why some of the Tide fans' evaluations may seem a bit harsh. I tend to think that MT is really a better player than showed on 1/9. The bad angles taken by a lot of the ND tacklers, which I attribute to have simply not having seen the kind of speed they were facing. A tackler has only a split second to make a decision and, if that angle is just slightly off, then a runner like a Lacy or Yeldon is either by you or you aren't going to get enough to overcome his strength. That said, some of the NFL scouts were already using the "phone booth" comment about MT. It'll be interesting to see how he goes in the draft. He seems like a really nice kid. Hard to imagine his carrying Jones' suitcase for him when Barrett was on crutches...
I too think he simply had a bad game. He is an outstanding linebacker in my opinion and you won't find many finer young men.

As far as his Dad's rant I really think that Dad's should just stay out of this type of situation. Seems that nothing good ever comes out of it. I refer to situations with Craig James and the like.
Manti is a big boy now. He probably didn't think anything about this. Now, of course, his Dad is going to bring all kind of publicity to the photo of him laying on the ground being "Bowled Over". He should have just kept his mouth shut in my opinion.

sip

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Buzz, a newspaper's responsibility is to sell copies by printing the truth. Based on the game that we all saw, is there anything inaccurate in that photo? Young Mr. Teo is the biggest sports celebrity on the islands. Thus he has to appear in the game photo that also captures the nature of the game. Terrific shot, by the way.
I didn't say I had a problem with it. I'm just saying that if Mr. Te'o thought by him freely giving out photo's and interviews to "help" the paper cover his son. That there was some sort of "bond" or "trust" created he was grossly mistaken.

BornABamaFan

2nd Team
Nov 22, 2011
Brandon,MS
Presumably-Used to convey that what is asserted is very likely though not known for certain.
Bowled Over-To make a powerful impression on; overwhelm.
Not sure what Mr. Te'o saw but "I Saw What I Saw"

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Do they have sour grapes in Hawaii? Way to drag your son, who from all the mainland people have seen is a fairly respectable kid, down to the depths of crybaby.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Right up there with:
'Texas would have won if Colt had been playing'...
Got news for Dad... Nobody loves a sniveling whiny baby.
So far it only applies to Dad. Juries still out on Manti.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Manti Te'o seems to be a fine young man, and he is a very solid football player. However, the one and only reason that he was second in the Heisman voting is that he plays for Notre Dame. Newspapers report the news whether it is good or bad. If Mr. Te'o loved the coverage during the good times, he should be able to handle the coverage in the bad times. However, I can understand his point that the paper could have chosen the high road and just reported the facts from the game without showing Manti on his back. I learned long ago not to expect the high road from many people, especially journalists trying to sell papers.

Rattlehead82

1st Team
Feb 3, 2008
Pace, FL
What error? I guess the truth hurts. If you want the accolades when times are good you must expect to be slighted when things go wrong.
My post was tongue in cheek :D,but to be honest, te'o was never technically ran over. Why run over a defender when you could just run by him.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
My post was tongue in cheek :D,but to be honest, te'o was never technically ran over. Why run over a defender when you could just run by him.
Haha, I think what shocked many people is that Te'o wasn't even in position to be run over. He was grasping at air all night. I'm sure that he would like a do over for that game because he seems to have the type of character that wouldn't quit.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Didn't someone already post this? Oh, never mind.................

Daddy needs to remember "You live by the sword, you die by the sword." If his dad is this thin-skinned, he could turn into Tebow II. Not in terms of performance, or talent. In terms of media circus. Might have to get some popcorn ready.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Didn't someone already post this? Oh, never mind.................

Daddy needs to remember "You live by the sword, you die by the sword." If his dad is this thin-skinned, he could turn into Tebow II. Not in terms of performance, or talent. In terms of media circus. Might have to get some popcorn ready.
It was on p. 21 of the "running at T'eo" thread and the participation so far shows that it can support its own thread...

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Teo is the face of their team
This is exactly what I was going to post. Right or wrong, Te'o became the face of ND football this year with all the accolades he received. Te'o had a horrible game, but so did the rest of ND's defense. The DB's have yet to cover Cooper, and our OL manhandled the rest of ND's vaunted front 7 - not just Te'o. Unfortunately for him, he's taking the brunt of the criticism for it. I know his Dad is emotional about it, but when a player achieves that level of visibility, his accomplishments AND failures become front page news. That's just the reality of it. His Dad had no problem with the newspaper when the stories were positive.

If Te'o were standing over Eddie Lacy after trucking him and ND had won the game, Mr. Te'o would most likely have it framed hanging on his wall...

Last edited by a moderator:

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
While I think Te'o is a good LB he is certainly not an elite LB. Looking at the list of awards he received many were as a result of his back story and the fact ND were playing a mostly weak schedule.

Proxigean Tide

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
Dover, DE
I too think he simply had a bad game. He is an outstanding linebacker in my opinion and you won't find many finer young men.

As far as his Dad's rant I really think that Dad's should just stay out of this type of situation. Seems that nothing good ever comes out of it. I refer to situations with Craig James and the like.
Manti is a big boy now. He probably didn't think anything about this. Now, of course, his Dad is going to bring all kind of publicity to the photo of him laying on the ground being "Bowled Over". He should have just kept his mouth shut in my opinion.

sip
Sip I love reading your posts...you are extremely correct. RTR

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

sip
I totally agree. This paper is going to get all kinds of notoriety because of the dads comments. Better to let sleeping dogs lie.

mpchief5

Sep 10, 2007
I think the Tide fans got a bit of "T'eo fatigue" in the big build up, particularly when so little was being written about Mosely, who is probably really a better LB. That may explain why some of the Tide fans' evaluations may seem a bit harsh. I tend to think that MT is really a better player than showed on 1/9. The bad angles taken by a lot of the ND tacklers, which I attribute to have simply not having seen the kind of speed they were facing. A tackler has only a split second to make a decision and, if that angle is just slightly off, then a runner like a Lacy or Yeldon is either by you or you aren't going to get enough to overcome his strength. That said, some of the NFL scouts were already using the "phone booth" comment about MT. It'll be interesting to see how he goes in the draft. He seems like a really nice kid. Hard to imagine his carrying Jones' suitcase for him when Barrett was on crutches...
There are about six lb at bama that is better than MT. They are stronger and faster than he they just don't stand out from the rest of the team like MT does his team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.