Lou Holtz on Nick Saban. Thoughts? (Video)

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Didn't get that at all from it. But, as a Coach I can say that I'm having a blast helping "build" our HS program and shape it into something meaningful. I think he has a point to a degree, but he say's stupid stuff all of the time!

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Yeah but I also see he has a point. Every person every team will eventually hit that mental wall that takes even more mental energy to sustain the past standard of performance while overcoming the new and greater obstacles laid before you. I think you saw that with AJ last week against LSU - he gave every thing he had in him and then some to get that win. Thus the emotional out pour.

That is where I think we could have done a better job this week. Lessening the burden on AJ to perform and putting more on others to bring the victory home.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Yeah but I also see he has a point. Every person every team will eventually hit that mental wall that takes even more mental energy to sustain the past standard of performance while overcoming the new and greater obstacles laid before you. I think you saw that with AJ last week against LSU - he gave every thing he had in him and then some to get that win. Thus the emotional out pour.

That is where I think we could have done a better job this week. Lessening the burden on AJ to perform and putting more on others to bring the victory home.
And fans are never satisfied in the first place. Winning is great, but my enjoyment and probably most coaches is being involved with working with young people.

chalkpit

Suspended
May 31, 2012
And fans are never satisfied in the first place. Winning is great, but my enjoyment and probably most coaches is being involved with working with young people.

I guess everyone forgot, this years team had a great O line coming back, that was it. Nothing else was even talked about as even close to being championship. This included AJ and EL. We has a couple wideouts have a breakout game in the BCS game, but they were not much of a factor during the season. If this season is not a building season, I am not sure what is. There is nothing maintaing about it from last years team.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I guess everyone forgot, this years team had a great O line coming back, that was it. Nothing else was even talked about as even close to being championship. This included AJ and EL. We has a couple wideouts have a breakout game in the BCS game, but they were not much of a factor during the season. If this season is not a building season, I am not sure what is. There is nothing maintaing about it from last years team.
Next season is a building year.

Possibly lose AJ and/or Eddie.

Lose DJ, Warmack, Barrett, and Williams from the OL.

Defensive players that are for sure gone: Nico, Jesse, Quinton Dial, Lester, and Square.

Juniors or RS Sophomores that can leave early: CJ, Dee and Deion Belue.

Next year is going to be the rebuilding season, not this year.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I don't think that was the point of the post or what Holtz said.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Well, as a Coach this is what I think Lou is saying and it's true with some of the feelings you have in the profession. I pick this up every once in awhile about CNS, but it's mostly something that many coaches go through emotionally. First, when you're rebuilding you are "creating" and "molding" it is something enjoyable! You lose more than you want, but you know that when the "lightbulb" comes on with your team you are going to have something special. You also "hate" your team (Not personally!). You hate them because they are a reflection of you and what you have created. So when you've built a place on high and you lose a game or you are playing poorly it is YOU! It is because of you and you carry that baggage home and it can become a burden. It can drive some to quit.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Holtz is not saying that one painful loss means a coach should retire.
Holtz is not saying that it is time for Saban to retire.
Holtz is not saying anything that should be construed as he wishes Saban would retire.

These are paranoid interpretations borne of thin skin, and a tendency to hear and believe the worst as a sports fan when it comes to anything pertaining to one's own favorite team.

Holtz is saying that Saban and Alabama are at the point where there is so much pressure to perform that the game is no longer fun, and that it's unhealthy. Now there is plenty of reason to believe he is wrong about this, all you have to do is look at the team's reaction to winning championships, or last week's LSU game. Holtz's bias in favor of teams he used to coach is well-documented and can be seen every single week, but for a thin-skinned fan to say Holtz holds this opinion because of bias says more about the fan than it does about Holtz.
So we should not take the opportunity to bash Holtz for this? Perish the thought. :BigA: RTR!!!

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Next season is a building year.

Possibly lose AJ and/or Eddie.

Lose DJ, Warmack, Barrett, and Williams from the OL.

Defensive players that are for sure gone: Nico, Jesse, Quinton Dial, Lester, and Square.

Juniors or RS Sophomores that can leave early: CJ, Dee and Deion Belue.

Next year is going to be the rebuilding season, not this year.
The oline would be my number one concern for next year. Second would probably be the secondary assuming Dee goes which I assume he will. I still don't think there are enough holes in the two deep next year to make it a rebuilding year. Don't we only have 9 seniors this year? I know those guys have played a lot of ball for us but that is less than most teams will have to be replacing.

dave12

All-SEC
Dec 14, 2002
hueytown, al. usa
What Reece says bothers me more than crazy Lou. Is it "more fun to build it than maintain it?" CNS has been a builder...let's hope he doesn't tire of maintaining it now.
Thats what i was thinking as well, i hope he's not getting tired of maintaining it and maybe looking to something else.
That statement does bother me.

RTR:BigA:

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I have No inside infomation but I would guess that CNS loves practice more than the game.
He enjoys signing a Great recruit (a good kid) more than a championship
He acts as a teacher more than administrator.

Thats just my opinion as Long as Alabama can offer him these joys I think he considers this home not a job. Less than 5 schools in the country can offer close to what Alabama does & CNS competitive nature will keep him going after what Coach Bryant did.
Alabama is fortunate to have Coach Saban & I think he is equally so to have landed at such a fine school.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Saban himself has stated it's more fun to build than to maintain, no big deal. And he stated that before his statements about retiring here. Some of y'all just need to chillax, he's going nowhere.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Saban himself has stated it's more fun to build than to maintain, no big deal. And he stated that before his statements about retiring here. Some of y'all just need to chillax, he's going nowhere.
Which is why we need not overreact to what the press says about things like that. Lou wasn't saying anything wrong or stupid, but fans are really paranoid about the press! It is what it is!

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I remember him saying that. To me that goes against his whole philosophy of sustaining success in performance as the goal. He seems to say that the ultimate challenge is maintaining success but then doesn't seem to enjoy that as much as trying to initially achieve. Maybe it's not a contradiction but to me it doesn't make sense.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
To one degree or another he is always in the building mode; year round recruiting, evaluation, building team unity each year, selecting starters, managing red shirtting, etc. Sure the heavy lifting takes place just after you assume control of a program but every single year is different from the previous in terms of who you have, how they look, and who you play etc.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I remember him saying that. To me that goes against his whole philosophy of sustaining success in performance as the goal. He seems to say that the ultimate challenge is maintaining success but then doesn't seem to enjoy that as much as trying to initially achieve. Maybe it's not a contradiction but to me it doesn't make sense.
I think it's simply more exciting building something than maintaining it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.