Link: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I do not think Smart is ready to be a head coach and go against Saban, head to head. He knows that better than any of us. Plus, if he just stays at Alabama another 7-10 years, he can have the Job when Saban leaves.
The problem is the earning potential he'll forgo if Saban sticks around until he's 66-68 like I anticipate. 6-7 years is a long time to wait to get a job he'd want. Muschamp had the same issue at Texas. Of course, I think they sold him that Mack was going to retire a lot quicker than he actually did.

At least Alabama has not made the "coach in waiting" title which makes the assistant more anticipant of gaining his long-term title. It's more of a wink-and-a-nudge deal where he's clearly the frontrunner if he stays around.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I believe Coach Saban will probably hang it up with 2 back to back mediocre seasons or another 6 years. Kirby is 36 and if he is made coach in waiting, could be the Bama head coach by 42. After the riches of the coach Saban era, I see nothing wrong with his main man taking over. Even if it doesn't work out, the next coach will not have to Follow in the footsteps of the Sabanator, and we will be grounded again. I see it as win win to make CKS a behind the scenes coach in waiting ala Muschamp and Fisher.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
When Bama assistants go coach at Auburn, they feel second class. When you feel second class, you drink heavily. When you drink heavily, you say stupid things on the Finebaum show. When you say stupid things on the Finebaum show, every knows it's Pat Dye. Don't become like Pat Dye, and stay at Alabama.
Awesome!

I can't fault anyone for trying to improve their position, make more money and accomplish career goals. That said, I can't imagine a scenario where Kirby Smart thinks the Auburn job is worth taking.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
My aubie hubbie said Kirby was offered the interview late last week. His first inclination was not to interview but supposedly after the game Saban talked him into it. I don't have a source/link, and my hubbie has no inside connections. So I imagine it must be somewhere on al.com or some place very public. He doesn't go digging very much. I have no idea the validity of that so feel free to delete if it's a problem.

If so why would he suggest unless just for practice. I really can't see Saban saying to Kirby "yeh you're my right hand man, go down to Alabama's biggest rival". Just can't see such encouragement to AU.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
My aubie hubbie said Kirby was offered the interview late last week. His first inclination was not to interview but supposedly after the game Saban talked him into it. I don't have a source/link, and my hubbie has no inside connections. So I imagine it must be somewhere on al.com or some place very public. He doesn't go digging very much. I have no idea the validity of that so feel free to delete if it's a problem.

If so why would he suggest unless just for practice. I really can't see Saban saying to Kirby "yeh you're my right hand man, go down to Alabama's biggest rival". Just can't see such encouragement to AU.
I agree with the practice.

The Bill Oliver debacle has to have left some lingering effects, even if they are smaller than the precedent of never again that I suggested. Why risk burning two bridges? A segment of the Bama fan base will call him a traitor (the ignorant) and if he fails at Auburn they will dislike him. He is too good to put himself in that situation. No way he goes to Auburn.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

It would be interesting to see how they'd try to sell the job to him.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Auburn does have a good deal to sell. Their facilities are solid, they've been a winner in the SEC before, and they're in an area where theoretically you can recruit quality athletes.

I get the feeling that Smart will not be their top choice for the job but interviewing is a good way to enhance a coordinator's appeal down the line. Smart's name hasn't really been attached legitimately to a major opening so far. He could get the job but I think they go for Petrino over Smart.

BamaPride1979

1st Team
Oct 18, 2006
Salem,AL
The News channel 9 in Columbus Ga reported Smart has a interview in a undisclosed location per the barn undercover. The only thing is I can't find any other article about it. I hope Smart wouldn't do a career suicide at the barn

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think this is a manufactured story by "mad barners." I do believe he is interviewing or already spoke to Auburn officials. I just get the feeling that he won't get offered the position. The SEC has had some buyer's remorse trying to hire Saban assistants lately. Mainly Tennessee and I think Auburn needs a known head coaching winner to bring the fanbase together. Truth is that the fans won't care about Petrino's misgivings and damage he's done to employers because his scheme is a proven success in the SEC.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This is public knowledge since this morning. Al Del Greco confirmed it and I feel confident he has good sources. He kept mentioning it over and over like he was trying rain on our parade a little :) Finebaum finally came on and said not a chance.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I like Finebaum's sources in situations like these. The guy has a background in sports investigative reporting and his stature in the sports media field allows him access that nobody else gets outside of the ESPN Mothership. He's not really a journalist anymore but his connections to the people who matter in the college football industry are still strong, alive and well.

Auburn's not going out of left field like Gene Chizik this time, so I think his pulse on the situation will be pretty spot on. Smart is just getting his name out there and Petrino is the best hire. Auburn needs legitimate names around their hunt because immediately going for Petrino will be questionable whereas if he "wins" the interview process...people may buy in more.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
In fact, I think the reason Pat Dye went "radio silent" on the coaching position at Auburn is partly due to his proclamation that "Petrino will never be the coach of Auburn." Somebody connected to the program let Pat Dye know that supporting Chizik is fine but don't burn any bridges with our targets.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
So will they hire before we go to Miami?

I don't want any BS connected to the Barn's coaching search affecting the way we practice/play. This smells like total Barner CRAP to me--romance our coach and cause questions and concerns with his players that causes a distraction. Deep down, I know CNS won't let this happen, but it is extremely disruptive, IMO.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
WSFA reported earlier that Gus and Kirby are the top 2 choices and Petrino has not even been contacted.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
So will they hire before we go to Miami?

I don't want any BS connected to the Barn's coaching search affecting the way we practice/play. This smells like total Barner CRAP to me--romance our coach and cause questions and concerns with his players that causes a distraction. Deep down, I know CNS won't let this happen, but it is extremely disruptive, IMO.
I doubt Alabama fans would be understanding if he left for Auburn and skipped playing Notre Dame for the NC, especially if we lost from poor defensive play. Unless he succeeded at AU, it could be a career stunter. It would never happen imo, he is too Smart(pun) and is not desperate.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I doubt Alabama fans would be understanding if he left for Auburn and skipped playing Notre Dame for the NC, especially if we lost from poor defensive play. Unless he succeeded at AU, it could be a career stunter. It would never happen imo, he is too Smart(pun) and is not desperate.
I agree with you. I guess what I'm asking is WHEN is *U planning on making a coaching hire? If it isn't CKS then we can quickly move on and there is less opportunity for distraction for our players. I guess that works either way--if they hire before or after we go to Miami?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I agree with you. I guess what I'm asking is WHEN is *U planning on making a coaching hire? If it isn't CKS then we can quickly move on and there is less opportunity for distraction for our players. I guess that works either way--if they hire before or after we go to Miami?
Gotcha. I heard by Wednesday this week from Del Greco on the morning drive, and yes that would keep us from having to worrying about the hypothetical.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Gotcha. I heard by Wednesday next week from Del Greco on the morning drive, and yes that would keep us from having to worrying about the hypothetical.
Some talk says Auburn is announcing tomorrow or Wednesday. I doubt it unless a name breaks fairly soon.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.