Auburn stepping up and beating Bama ... possibility? (catch-all , barn thread)

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
This Auburn team is pretty horrendous. I say that with no relish (ok a little bit). However, both teams in the past have stepped up their game for the Iron Bowl in seasons where each was playing well below expectations and blasted the other, killing any title hopes for them. What's the liklihood of this happening? Does anyone know of a season where one team was down so much but somehow mustered enough pride and grit for the day to bring the other one down? Any occurrence that compares to 2-7 Auburn vs a 9-1 Bama team?

If it happened, how would this affect the next year for you? I am a Bama fan through and through and nothing will ever change that but I have to admit it would be very soul crushing. I would avoid Barners for some time afterwards.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Re: Auburn stepping up and beating Bama ... possibility?

I do not think Auburn will beat us this year, but if it did happen, this one would hurt worse than 2010. We have a chance to go the SECCG this year not so in 2010. That was just about beating Scam and crushing their national championship dreams.

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL

The only one the even comes close in my memory would be 1984 when Bama came into the game assured of a losing season with a 4-6 record. Auburn was ranked and would clinch a trip to the Sugar Bowl with a win, but Bama prevailed 17-15. An Auburn win this year would be a much bigger upset.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006

As bad as they are auburn cannot be overlooked. We could be just a little off, out of focus and maybe looking forward to Georgia. Auburn has absolutely nothing to lose and could bring something to the table. I don't expect it, but then again I didn't expect us to get dominated by A&M.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama

The only one the even comes close in my memory would be 1984 when Bama came into the game assured of a losing season with a 4-6 record. Auburn was ranked and would clinch a trip to the Sugar Bowl with a win, but Bama prevailed 17-15. An Auburn win this year would be a much bigger upset.
The 1984 Alabama team never gave up. Every loss was winnable.
The 2012 Auburn team gave up several games ago.
But even if they hadn't, they don't have the talent or coaching to compete with us.
I think our second-string would beat them 28-0.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

You can't overlook them for sure. They kept it close enough with LSU to made them very uncomfortable. All it takes is a couple of fumbles and a couple of interceptions and a couple of missed assignments. You better believe the barn will play their best game of the year. I think A&M only dominated us in the first quarter but still it was enough with the fumbles and interceptions.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

They will look about like bama in the 2000 ib. We will look much better than the barn from the 2000 ib.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

If Bama loses to the barn in Bryant-Denny the whole coaching staff should be run out of town! ;) It ain't gonna happen folks! I ain't a bettin man but I would bet everything I own on this, Bama wins big!!! :)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Auburn could beat Alabama but it would take a horrendous performance on Alabama's part to oblige them. By horrendous, I mean one of the most absolutely sloppy, listless, and unmotivated performances in Alabama history...probably akin to the La-Monroe game in 2007. Fumbles in minus territory, multiple defensive lapses, misses in offensive line assignments. I try to respect every opponent - even Auburn - but this Auburn team could only win against a quality opponent if the other team served it up on silver platter for them. Alabama has motivation for the game though. It can't be a look-ahead game because it is needed to clinch the SECCG berth.

I wouldn't be surprised if Auburn played with some fire and made it sloppy for awhile but Auburn is struggling in too many areas for Alabama not to find enough things to add up to more points than Auburn.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL

They will look about like bama in the 2000 ib. We will look much better than the barn from the 2000 ib.
I thought that same thing the other day. I sat in BDS freezing to death knowing that I was going to watch us lose. Dubose had already been fired and I swear that *U did not even prepare for the game. Worst football game I have ever sat through.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

It would be the most monumental upset in the history of the Iron Bowl. Despite the hype, there have only be three genuine upsets in this game post-1972. The 1984 game Auburn outsmarted themselves. 2001, Auburn was coming apart & this is not so big as it was then. And Fran mailed in the 2002 game.

It's true that we were number 2 in 1989, but Auburn was 11 and it was the first time there. Hardly a major upset, even though it upset me.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

This Auburn team is pretty horrendous. I say that with no relish (ok a little bit). However, both teams in the past have stepped up their game for the Iron Bowl in seasons where each was playing well below expectations and blasted the other, killing any title hopes for them. What's the liklihood of this happening?
It's possible.
Then again, I could be elected Pope...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I thought that same thing the other day. I sat in BDS freezing to death knowing that I was going to watch us lose. Dubose had already been fired and I swear that *U did not even prepare for the game. Worst football game I have ever sat through.
Yep,I was there too, till the bitter end. That game was definitely in two mules fighting over a turnip territory

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.