Poll: Should we disavow the 1941 Championship?

Should we disavow the 1941 Championship?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Disavow? Like the secretary in Mission Impossible? :cool:

Was watching last years BCSCG Wednesday on ESPN and they showed a graphic which Brent narrated stating we then had 9 NC's (after that win) according to AP and the Coaches poll which put us in first place ahead of ND and OU.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If we want to claim the '45 title, do it. It's the worthy team because they won a rose bowl not some team that lost to MSU.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Sure. But while we're in the disavowal business let's also throw out 1964 (we lost to Texas but Arky beat), 1973 (we lost to Notre Dame), and 1978 (we lost to USC, who was champion).

So on second thought.......no.

(Drops off toy for tot & wonders why he wasted time on a not gonna happen question)

JohnnyCache

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2002
Carrollton, GA but from Mobile, AL
I respect the post sincerely but there's a simple fact that needs to be addressed---If in fact the Houlgate System was recognized as a legitimate championship selector or poll in 1941 then that's the way it was. If they selected us then they did.

We can't use 2012 logic to determine if 1941 logic was correct. It's not 1941.

sip
I feel like after every one of your posts I'm supposed to take a drink. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but it sure does make work a lot more interesting.

JohnnyCache

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2002
Carrollton, GA but from Mobile, AL
I watched it last night too and I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. Just the single most dominant defensive performance ever on the biggest stage. I don't know if we'll ever see anything like that again. Well, not until they show it on TV again. :biggrin2:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Well, I guess real football didn't begin until after WWII. I need to give Daniel Moore a call and get my money back on that "Century of Champions" print that I bought back in January 1993.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I watched it last night too and I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. Just the single most dominant defensive performance ever on the biggest stage. I don't know if we'll ever see anything like that again. Well, not until they show it on TV again. :biggrin2:
Wrong thread?

:biggrin:

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
How can Bama claim that NC with 2 losses? There were several teams with 1 or 0 losses ahead of us. I don't Claim it and never will but 1945, 1966 and 1977 are a different story.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Threads like this bother me because I wonder to myself, "With all the positives going on with Bama football right now in 2012 why in the world would we feel the need to discuss something so negative as to whether we should disavow a national championship we won 71 years ago?"

I mean maybe I need someone to explain to me these questions, "What positive and useful purpose does this thread serve?" "How does it benefit anybody involved with Alabama football in any way whatsoever?"..and finally "Are you kidding me?"

sip
Quoted for truth.

Threads like this make me wonder about some of the 'fans' here...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I feel like after every one of your posts I'm supposed to take a drink. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but it sure does make work a lot more interesting.
....it just seems incredible to me that in less than a month we're playing for our third national championship in three years and we're spending our time discussing whether we should disavow a championship claimed over 70 years ago. It's kind of like.."Ok class...everybody made 100 on the math test. Now, what negative subject can we find to talk about?"

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
can someone explain just exactly WHY we originally claimed 1941? I feel like a have a pretty good grasp of the others, but can't really wrap my brain around '41...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
can someone explain just exactly WHY we originally claimed 1941? I feel like a have a pretty good grasp of the others, but can't really wrap my brain around '41...
It's simple - because Houlgate awarded us the National Championship that year. Not sure how that's difficult to understand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.