Link: Cal coach Jeff Tedford will not return next season

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
http://espn.go.com/college-football...alifornia-golden-bears-3-9-season-source-says

California coach Jeff Tedford will not return for his 12th season with the Golden Bears, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad on Tuesday.

Tedford's dismissal will be announced later Tuesday, the Associated Press reports.

There are probably some schools in the SEC that would do good to hire him. Although I guess all his recruiting connections would be out west, so maybe he would be a better fit at another school over there.

And if my memory serves me correctly, wasn't he a candidate to be the coach here during one of our many coaching searches?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There are probably some schools in the SEC that would do good to hire him. Although I guess all his recruiting connections would be out west, so maybe he would be a better fit at another school over there.

That was Wes Rucker's reply to an UT fan asking about Tedford to UT. He wouldn't do well in the SEC.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
He'll probably get a job as a head coach somewhere. And he is good at making the most out of a team with limited talent. Kentucky head coach?
He's a good HC no doubt..I honestly think he could do pretty good at Arkansas(doubtful cause they're going after bigger names) or Kentucky..He would be a solid hire whoever gets him..

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
When he sold his proverbial (recruiting) soul to the devil for the combo deal for Keenan Allen and his brother was where things started going downhill for Mr. Tedford...coincidence? I think not!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Just out of curiosity..Why hasn't Cal historically done better over the years than it has..Is it just location as compared to USC & UCLA, Stanford..It seems to me the recruiting base is big enough to support them all???.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Tedford couldn't win more than 10 games with guys like:

Aaron Rodgers, DeSean Jackson, Nnamdi Asomugha, Jahvid Best, Marshawn Lynch..... among plenty of other guys in the NFL.

Definitely time for him to go.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Just out of curiosity..Why hasn't Cal historically done better over the years than it has..Is it just location as compared to USC & UCLA, Stanford..It seems to me the recruiting base is big enough to support them all???.
Poor facilities/support from the administration.
That, and the school/faculty does have the attitude of a Stanford/Vanderbilt/Ivy League that they pride themselves on academics, thus have a hard time getting athletes. Don't get me wrong, their academics are very good (among the top in the country), but they do allow "average" student-athletes in just like 95% of all other universities. They're typically better in non-revenue sports and basketball.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
That, and the school/faculty does have the attitude of a Stanford/Vanderbilt/Ivy League that they pride themselves on academics, thus have a hard time getting athletes. Don't get me wrong, their academics are very good (among the top in the country), but they do allow "average" student-athletes in just like 95% of all other universities. They're typically better in non-revenue sports and basketball.
I just saw this Tweet from Stewart Mandel that verifies what you say..

Cal AD Sandy Barbour to season ticket holders: "the team’s continuing decline in academic performance is of great concern." Pac-12 worst GSR

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
He'll probably get a job as a head coach somewhere. And he is good at making the most out of a team with limited talent. Kentucky head coach?
Agree. When you have successfully run a big time program for 12 years without major incidence, kept business as usual and are still fairly young, you are going to get another job. He will be able to land a job similar or maybe a little better than Tubberville.

Auburn would be a perfect spot for him.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
When he sold his proverbial (recruiting) soul to the devil for the combo deal for Keenan Allen and his brother was where things started going downhill for Mr. Tedford...coincidence? I think not!
Tip of the hat to you, my friend! Just for perspective----

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2009/09/oregon_football_could_reap_div.html

Where did the recent NCAA mega-investigation start---? Oregon and Willy Lyles----his buddy, Otis Yelverton, was just in the wrong place at the wrong time-----more to come!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.