Pick the score: Alabama vs. Georgia SECCG

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
i don't know what or who i "sound like"...i'm simply giving my opinion. i haven't "talked" myself into anything. i've watched all of our games (most of them multiple times) and our dbs are suspect and our pass rush is downright anemic at times. it's the reason we got burned by both lsu and a&m in the passing game.

the mods may get on me about what i'm about to say, but i've about had it with people who joined the site yesterday getting on here and questioning the loyalty of those among us with thousands of posts and who have been members of this site basically since day one.

anyone who has been on this board forever like i have knows that i'm 100% behind our team, despite the fact that i don't constantly pump sunshine all over the place.

for perspective, coach bryant won 6 national titles at bama...which means he didn't win it the other 19 years he was there. no matter how good coach saban is and no matter how good our team is, we're going to lose games sometimes, and sometimes those losses will come with a lot on the line.

as i said, IF we play lights out pass defense, we win. the problem is we haven't played lights out pass defense against the best teams we've played. and if we don't play lights out pass defense on saturday, we will lose.
Well, we do have the 3rd rated pass defense in the nation, 5th in passing efficiency defense, but somehow we are suspect in coverage?

Also, Georgia played only two top 25 teams this year, lost one and won one.
They beat Florida, that's their only claim to fame, who else did they beat?
Ole Miss and Vandy? Please.

I think they're in for a rude awakening, we have an all around good team and the best coach in the nation.

And im not questioning your loyally, i guess you just reminded me of some of the guys on talk radio lately that have been building up Georgia as a more talented, better team than Alabama, im just not seeing it.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Well said davefrat, there seems to be an abundance of those posters who question or call out members with differing opinions now days. If I recall this is a discussion board that welcomes divergent opinions as long as people remain civil. I am wih you on this.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Well said davefrat, there seems to be an abundance of those posters who question or call out members with differing opinions now days. If I recall this is a discussion board that welcomes divergent opinions as long as people remain civil. I am wih you on this.
I agree. Thanks for expressing the opinion, Dave.

We can't win them all. We should win Saturday, but that doesn't mean we will.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
What happened to UGA when they played USCe? Was Murray hurt or something?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Well, we do have the 3rd rated pass defense in the nation, 5th in passing efficiency defense, but somehow we are suspect in coverage?

Also, Georgia played only two top 25 teams this year, lost one and won one.
They beat Florida, that's their only claim to fame, who else did they beat?
Ole Miss and Vandy? Please.

I think they're in for a rude awakening, we have an all around good team and the best coach in the nation.

And im not questioning your loyally, i guess you just reminded me of some of the guys on talk radio lately that have been building up Georgia as a more talented, better team than Alabama, im just not seeing it.
like i said before, we've dogded a lot of bullets in the passing game this year, where receivers have been wide open and were either missed by the qb or they dropped the ball...but they were wide open...which means that our coverage wasn't good enough and which also means that a better passing attack would likely have been successful in those wide-open situations. case in point (and i'm not saying this would have affected the outcome of the game at all but it's the most recent glaring example) but the int in the auburn game where the tight end tipped the ball and it was intercepted...the tight end was wide open for about a 20+ gain...if the ball had been thrown well. if we let guys get that wide open against GA, and we don't get pressure on murray, he'll eat us alive on those plays. i'm not saying our pass defense is terrible, but it's rating has been inflated somewhat by the fact that we've allowed guys to be wide open consistently through the season but the other side has not been able to capitalize on it. if we don't get pressure on murray, he will have open receivers and more than likely he'll get the ball to them.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
like i said before, we've dogded a lot of bullets in the passing game this year, where receivers have been wide open and were either missed by the qb or they dropped the ball...but they were wide open...which means that our coverage wasn't good enough and which also means that a better passing attack would likely have been successful in those wide-open situations. case in point (and i'm not saying this would have affected the outcome of the game at all but it's the most recent glaring example) but the int in the auburn game where the tight end tipped the ball and it was intercepted...the tight end was wide open for about a 20+ gain...if the ball had been thrown well. if we let guys get that wide open against GA, and we don't get pressure on murray, he'll eat us alive on those plays. i'm not saying our pass defense is terrible, but it's rating has been inflated somewhat by the fact that we've allowed guys to be wide open consistently through the season but the other side has not been able to capitalize on it. if we don't get pressure on murray, he will have open receivers and more than likely he'll get the ball to them.
No doubt what you say is true in that we've let guys run open on us in our secondary.

But, go back and watch some of the times we've had open guys running around in our opponents secondary and AJ missed them.

So while it is true there will be open guys against any defense, even good ones, the game is happening pretty fast and just a little pressure will keep those wide open guys hidden from the qb sight very often.

Our pass defense is still pretty good even if it's not last year's.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
If we have been "dodging a lot of bullets" it is because it is really hard to aim well when you are worrying about all the things a Saban defense makes you worry about. Where's the pressure coming from this time? What coverage are they in? Is my receiver really open or am I being baited? Every quarterback misses wide open receivers. It happens the most when there is pressure. LSU fared the best, and they did it by using a max protect scheme, and Mettenberger threw perfect passes into good coverage. There's nothing to be done about perfect throws.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
No doubt what you say is true in that we've let guys run open on us in our secondary.

But, go back and watch some of the times we've had open guys running around in our opponents secondary and AJ missed them.

So while it is true there will be open guys against any defense, even good ones, the game is happening pretty fast and just a little pressure will keep those wide open guys hidden from the qb sight very often.

Our pass defense is still pretty good even if it's not last year's.
agreed, we are still a really good defense. i might even say we are the best total defense in the country ;)

i remember many times last year where opponents receivers dropped wide open passes (or there were errant throws to open receivers). in fact, i bet if you go back and read last year's game threads, you will see plenty of hand wringing about dodged bullets

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
agreed, we are still a really good defense. i might even say we are the best total defense in the country ;)

i remember many times last year where opponents receivers dropped wide open passes (or there were errant throws to open receivers). in fact, i bet if you go back and read last year's game threads, you will see plenty of hand wringing about dodged bullets
The offense always has an inherent advantage over the defense because an offense knows what is happening and the defense has to either react to what they do OR guess what they're going to do. At any rate, it is rare to have 3 or 4 receivers running a route and none of them be open at some time during the play.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The offense always has an inherent advantage over the defense because an offense knows what is happening and the defense has to either react to what they do OR guess what they're going to do. At any rate, it is rare to have 3 or 4 receivers running a route and none of them be open at some time during the play.
saban's defense usually leaves something open. thing is, its really hard to take advantage of that hole in the defense.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Wide open receivers are a dime a dozen. Someone is usually open on every single pass play. It's just that the quarterback doesn't always have time to find them. The reason our defense is so hard to pass on is because we do a great job of disguising coverages and baiting throws. Mettenberger just made all the right decisions and made some really great throws, the kind that barely fly over the extended defender's hands and then drop right into the receiver's. I don't recall an exorbitant number of passes completed to wide open receivers although there were some. Against Johnny Football he just kept the play's alive so long with his feet that our DB's didn't have a chance. Murray is no Johnny Football. If we get him on the run there will be some picks.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
We can not turn the ball over at all.

No3 & outs it's ok to have to punt but No 3 & outs.

I don't think all of a sudden we get a pass rush but I bet we see a LB with a pick & at least 2 more from DB's.

If we take a similar offensive plan to the one on API it may work fine.

GA will set a record for PF penaltitied trying to get in our heads.

Finally we did not get blown out by aTm except for Q1, we could have won that game.

Alabama wants this game bad soooooo...
Bama 48
Jawga 10

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
We can not turn the ball over at all.

No3 & outs it's ok to have to punt but No 3 & outs.

I don't think all of a sudden we get a pass rush but I bet we see a LB with a pick & at least 2 more from DB's.

If we take a similar offensive plan to the one on API it may work fine.

GA will set a record for PF penaltitied trying to get in our heads.

Finally we did not get blown out by aTm except for Q1, we could have won that game.

Alabama wants this game bad soooooo...
Bama 48
Jawga 10
well, certainly no one is going to accuse you of jumping ship or dogging the team. : )

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.