Game Thread: Cotton Bowl: Aggies and Sooners

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Really hard to say, considering this time a year ago no one out side of College Station knew who he was...

What's his up side? If he grows as a player next year, wow...
I heard one of the announcers say he had size 15 shoes. Sounds like he needs to do some growing just to catch up with his feet.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Now you got it Earle!

By the by, for all those interest when he gets back to school in a few days he'll academically be a junior...here is an article about all his exploits..

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu/forum_topic/11862175/?d_comments_page=1
Well, it's hard to try to follow a game, watch a game thread and do the calculations of the NFL rule at the same time. The game thread is not the right place for a side argument, even if it's not our team and it's also a rout. I'd love it if he were around just one more season. I'm afraid he doesn't really translate to the next level that well. If he jumps, it'll because of the progress of his arm - better than V. Young or Vick. And he's almost as tall as Brees, I'd say, so maybe we just have to put up with him for one more season...

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Sumlin is an Alabama native. Hard to dislike the guy. Hard to dislike Manziel as well.

By the way, Manziel will probably finish out his eligibility, he will not be thought of very highly by the NFL.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Anybody know what his draft status would be after next year? Im guessing he wouldnt get a first round grade because of his size and perceived weakness of arm strength.
Depends on how you look at it... A lot of people see him int he mold of a Doug Flutie or Drew Brees... Both undersized, both with good legs (Brees not so much anymore), and both with that intangible you have no name for... If you bank on that as a GM, and see the success of RGIII...he's a first rounder

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Kevin Sumlin is country folk from South Alabama so he cool with me. As long as he doesn't snitch on us like Phat Phil.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Depends on how you look at it... A lot of people see him int he mold of a Doug Flutie or Drew Brees... Both undersized, both with good legs (Brees not so much anymore), and both with that intangible you have no name for... If you bank on that as a GM, and see the success of RGIII...he's a first rounder
I thought Johnny had decent zip on his throws.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
JM will be a 1st Rd pick as soon as he is able.
I agree. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with a release so unique. Guy can seemingly take the snap and throw accurately in one motion. Never seen anything like it. That's before you even talk about his ability to extend the play.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Not only did Manziel break Cam Newton's SEC record for total offense, he smashed it by almost 750 yards and did it in one less game. Had he played in an extra game he would have broken the record by 1,000 yards.

Wowzers.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
I don't know where he is in the minds of NFL scouts yet, but I do know he has NFL caliber accuracy already. His play style is unorthodox by NFL standards and his release is a little different but quick enough. You can't coach speed and I think he'll get a lot of interest if for no other reason than that.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I don't know where he is in the minds of NFL scouts yet, but I do know he has NFL caliber accuracy already. His play style is unorthodox by NFL standards and his release is a little different but quick enough. You can't coach speed and I think he'll get a lot of interest if for no other reason than that.
If I were a GM (or owner) in need of a spark...say the Cowboys after next year...I would draft him. Look at the upside. Ask yourself, is he as good as Russell Wilson was in college? Yes... Is he better? Yes... Does he have better physical measurables (height/weight/speed)? Yes... Does he seem to have a good head on and off the field? Yes...

I would use a first round pick on him...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I know he spent 5 yrs under Stoops at OU, but didn't Sumlin work for and learn his O philosoph originally under Mike Price? It's a small world indeed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.