Billionaire Club Conference

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Ok folks this is just for fun. I am dreaming here a bit killing time till you know what, so no need in telling me how this will never happen. I know! ;)

What if the all time winning college football teams broke away from the NCAA and created their own league or conference? For this exercise I made the Billionaire Club Conference composed of the top 12 teams,(minus the Ivy leagues teams),with 600 wins or more as posted here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_football_teams_by_wins#Teams_ranked_by_total_wins I also exchanged LSU for Florida, since they want to complain about playing Florida every year, and God knows what they would complain about in this league! ;)

I divided up the schools in to 2 divisions, North and South and it would look something like this -
South---- North

Alabama-----Notre Dame
Texas----- Penn State
Florida----- Michigan
Tennessee----Southern Cal
Oklahoma---- Ohio State
Georgia------ Nebraska

Now each division team would play each team in their division, 5 games. Then they would rotate every 2 years a home and home with 3 teams from the other division. That would be 8 total conference games played among themselves. And the winners of each division would play for a championship at seasons end.

That would still leave each team with 4 games to schedule,(if they wanted) out of conference for whatever purpose they wanted. As far as a BCS national championship or a playoff I would forget that crap. The Billionaire Club champion would be the National champions for all intents and purposes. Let the rest of the schools have whatever they wanted as far as that goes amongst themselves.

The reason I named my dream conference the Billionaire Club conference is obvious as it can get! Think of the money television would pay! And when you get down to it, its all about money. You could still have the top 4 or 6 bowls invite say the top 4-6 Billionaire Clubs teams to play teams from other conferences, preferably the other conferences champions. And of course you can have AP National champions voted after the bowls as well others.

If they broke away from the NCAA, they could abolish scholarship limits and even pay the players. It would in fact become a semi-pro league with all the best players being attracted.

It ain't happening I know, but it would be fun. ;)

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Ok folks this is just for fun. I am dreaming here a bit killing time till you know what, so no need in telling me how this will never happen. I know! ;)

What if the all time winning college football teams broke away from the NCAA and created their own league or conference? For this exercise I made the Billionaire Club Conference composed of the top 12 teams,(minus the Ivy leagues teams),with 600 wins or more as posted here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_football_teams_by_wins#Teams_ranked_by_total_wins I also exchanged LSU for Florida, since they want to complain about playing Florida every year, and God knows what they would complain about in this league! ;)

I divided up the schools in to 2 divisions, North and South and it would look something like this -
South---- North

Alabama-----Notre Dame
Texas----- Penn State
Florida----- Michigan
Tennessee----Southern Cal
Oklahoma---- Ohio State
Georgia------ Nebraska

Now each division team would play each team in their division, 5 games. Then they would rotate every 2 years a home and home with 3 teams from the other division. That would be 8 total conference games played among themselves. And the winners of each division would play for a championship at seasons end.

That would still leave each team with 4 games to schedule,(if they wanted) out of conference for whatever purpose they wanted. As far as a BCS national championship or a playoff I would forget that crap. The Billionaire Club champion would be the National champions for all intents and purposes. Let the rest of the schools have whatever they wanted as far as that goes amongst themselves.

The reason I named my dream conference the Billionaire Club conference is obvious as it can get! Think of the money television would pay! And when you get down to it, its all about money. You could still have the top 4 or 6 bowls invite say the top 4-6 Billionaire Clubs teams to play teams from other conferences, preferably the other conferences champions. And of course you can have AP National champions voted after the bowls as well others.

If they broke away from the NCAA, they could abolish scholarship limits and even pay the players. It would in fact become a semi-pro league with all the best players being attracted.

It ain't happening I know, but it would be fun. ;)
If this ever happened college football would be history. It would be NFL Lite - and how are the rankings for minor league baseball? Because that's what it would be.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
Moan's comments were all in fun, but Selma's your are dead serious and right on.
In addition to your correctly pointing out the demise of college football as we know it, the university presidents will never allow their universities to emphasis football over academics.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
If this ever happened college football would be history. It would be NFL Lite - and how are the rankings for minor league baseball? Because that's what it would be.
Well the end of the world probably has a better chance to happen next week than something like this to ever occur lol! Don't see how it would be the end of college football though. Maybe the end of college football as we know it, but that is happening now. And if the money keeps growing it could get even stranger!

Is there a money ceiling for college football?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I think that I would be LSU in there before I would put Georgia in....just sayin'! :cool2:

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Tennessee fans also do not approve of this thread ....
Tennessee is included in this scenario, but maybe they had rather not be. ;)

NoNC4Tubs said:
I think that I would be LSU in there before I would put Georgia in....just sayin'! :cool2:
Georgia has more wins than LSU all time and is one spot ahead of LSU. I replaced LSU with Florida just for fun because of the whining about playing Florida every season. ;) You could expand this to 24, 32 or 48 teams and start a whole new college football division in this for fun scenario.

I feel that we have to many teams in the top college football division and with the way college football is changing, these 16 team mega conferences are going to ruin it anyway so why not start all over? 4 16 team mega conferences to me is to many teams at 64. 32 teams would be big enough for me. :)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Moan, I have always felt there are too many teams in the FCS. I think almost anyone would truthfully admit that there are only about 25-30 teams out of 120 teams that realistically have a chance to make it into a 4 team playoff. I could see at most five 12 team conferences in the FCS with the other 60 teams forming a new division.

The key here would be that you would schedule only teams in your division level because by scheduling a lower division team (ie: Troy, ULM, etc)impacts a team's strength of schedule. You are penalized by playing a lower division team. You are penalized for playing Florida Atlantic or Middle Tennessee but not Maryland, Minnesota or Washington State.

Last edited:

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Moan, I have always felt there are too many teams in the FCS. I think almost anyone would truthfully admit that there are only about 25-30 teams out of 120 teams that realistically have a chance to make it into a 4 team playoff. I could see at most five 12 team conferences in the FCS with the other 60 teams forming a new division.

The key here would be that you would schedule only teams in your division level because by scheduling a lower division team (ie: Troy, ULM, etc)impacts a team's strength of schedule. You are penalized by playing a lower division team.
My thoughts exactly. 12 teams is perfect for a conference. :) If you got to have a playoff, then 5 conference champions and 3 wild cards would make the most sense to me. That scenario is not doable with what we have today.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.