The Fight'n Texas Aggie Band will be traveling to the Alabama game.........

Aggie Scott

Scout Team
May 1, 2012
I've never understood the distinction between a cheerleader and a yell leader except that calling them yell leaders seems to somehow get them off the hook for not having any girls cheering...but that really doesn't make any sense either...

When the student body votes on who gets to be a yell leader, do the girl students get to vote?
Haha, yes they do. They mostly concur that the Yell Leader tradition needs to stay the same. One thing I didn't mention is Yell Leaders are typically for the corps of cadets only. Some non-corps members have been yell leaders, but typically the student body will choose only corps members. While the Corps of Cadets is only about 5-6% of the student body, it is still the center of the University. Most Aggies want to keep it that way.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Haha, yes they do. They mostly concur that the Yell Leader tradition needs to stay the same. One thing I didn't mention is Yell Leaders are typically for the corps of cadets only. Some non-corps members have been yell leaders, but typically the student body will choose only corps members. While the Corps of Cadets is only about 5-6% of the student body, it is still the center of the University. Most Aggies want to keep it that way.
You are a good sport & I'm sure the Aggie band is very good indeed.

To poke a little more fun at you...

in the above quote, do you mean most Aggies want to keep the Corps numbers at very small 5 or 6 per cent, or for the Corps to remain the center of the University despite that small percentage? I'm not certain what "it" refers to in your post. :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sara is correct, the band is mixed. They A&M Corps of Cadets wear the wwII standard issue army uniform. The seniors wear the calvary uniform, thus the riding boots. A&M is strong on tradition, was an all military school and all male up till the late 60's I think. The Corps of Cadets make up about 2500-3000 of the 50000 member student body now. The "Yell" leaders, not cheer leaders are elected by the student body every year just like class officers. Females have run, they just haven't been elected yet. We do yells, in unison led by the yell leaders with hand signals. You can call it gay if you want, but it is tradition and it works for us. One of our favorite traditions is if the team scores, we get to score (kiss your date) in the stands too!
This is very fuzzy memory on my part, but it seems to me that one reason Coach Bryant left aTm was that they were going back to an all male school. This was, of course, 1958, when I was a sophomore. I'll see if I can find the facts...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I thought they didn't let women in until after Bryant left.
Reexamining my memory, you're correct. Maybe it was that they were going back to all having to be in the corps and wear uniforms. I'll try to track it down. I'll check with one of my contemporaries, if I can find one alive...

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Reexamining my memory, you're correct. Maybe it was that they were going back to all having to be in the corps and wear uniforms. I'll try to track it down. I'll check with one of my contemporaries, if I can find one alive...
I've always read that Coach Bryant was very happy at AM and that it actually pained him to leave there, and only left because "Mama called"...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've always read that Coach Bryant was very happy at AM and that it actually pained him to leave there, and only left because "Mama called"...
No, there was some changed factor which was unfavorable to the football team in addition. Given enough time, I'll remember it...

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Fightin'? I doubt they really fight. I mean, not only do they not look capable of winning many fights, but I just don't see where they would ever need to.

Still, I suppose I'd take a fightin' band over a fightin' aggie.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
I hesitate to offer this info because it will show my age, but I think the reason that Don Meredith gave Coach Bryant for not going to A & M when Coach Bryant was recruiting him to A & M in the mid 50's was there were no women at that god forsaken place. My fuzzy memory is Meredith gave the news to Mary Harmon that as bad as he wanted to play for Coach Bryant, he just couldn't go to A & M. In any event, I had a few drinks with Don Meredith in the early 70's at the Palm Bay Club in Miami when he was doing Monday Night Football. He still loved Coach Bryant and wished he had been able to play for him. Meredith was EXACTLY the same guy off the air as on the air. He was as genuine as it gets.
No one should ever question Coach Bryant's love and respect for A & M. The only ring he ever wore was the A & M SWC championship ring.

I hesitate to offer this info because it will show my age, but I think the reason that Don Meredith gave Coach Bryant for not going to A & M when Coach Bryant was recruiting him to A & M in the mid 50's was there were no women at that god forsaken place. My fuzzy memory is Meredith gave the news to Mary Harmon that as bad as he wanted to play for Coach Bryant, he just couldn't go to A & M. In any event, I had a few drinks with Don Meredith in the early 70's at the Palm Bay Club in Miami when he was doing Monday Night Football. He still loved Coach Bryant and wished he had been able to play for him. Meredith was EXACTLY the same guy off the air as on the air. He was as genuine as it gets.
No one should ever question Coach Bryant's love and respect for A & M. The only ring he ever wore was the A & M SWC championship ring.
I thought the only ring he wore was one given to him by the Junction Boys.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
You are correct. It was given to him at the re union of the Junction Boys and not by the SWC but it was to commemorate what they accomplished in winning the SWC a couple of years later.

Aggie Scott

Scout Team
May 1, 2012
You are a good sport & I'm sure the Aggie band is very good indeed.

To poke a little more fun at you...

in the above quote, do you mean most Aggies want to keep the Corps numbers at very small 5 or 6 per cent, or for the Corps to remain the center of the University despite that small percentage? I'm not certain what "it" refers to in your post. :)
That would be the later Chukker!

Aggie Scott

Scout Team
May 1, 2012
Fightin'? I doubt they really fight. I mean, not only do they not look capable of winning many fights, but I just don't see where they would ever need to.

Still, I suppose I'd take a fightin' band over a fightin' aggie.
Actually MBA many of them fight for real when they graduate. Before their junior year, Corps of Cadet members (Including the band) make a decision on whether or not to serve in the military. If they sign on, many of them do, they go through extensive training and graduate as a 2nd Lieutenant into the branch of their choice. Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines are all represented by the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets. Here's a little known fact, Texas A&M put out more officers in WW2 than even the Naval Academy and West Point. They may not look capable of a fight, but I can assure you they are very fit and ready to go!

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
Actually MBA many of them fight for real when they graduate. Before their junior year, Corps of Cadet members (Including the band) make a decision on whether or not to serve in the military. If they sign on, many of them do, they go through extensive training and graduate as a 2nd Lieutenant into the branch of their choice. Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines are all represented by the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets. Here's a little known fact, Texas A&M put out more officers in WW2 than even the Naval Academy and West Point. They may not look capable of a fight, but I can assure you they are very fit and ready to go!
So what you are saying is we can thank ya'll for all the butter bars? :biggrin:

I do have a question for you though as I've been seeing alot on your message boards that feel they are most like Auburn and feel they understand them better because ya'll are so much alike ... do you feel the same way? and Why in all that is holy to football would you ever want to do that to yourselves?

squib

1st Team
Sep 24, 2005
The actual percentage is 46%. So if 46% is many, then so be it.

During World War I and World War II, A&M commissioned more officers than the military academies combined.
This probably has something to do with the fact there were only TWO academies at the time (Annapolis and West Point.) The AFA wasn't founded until AFTER WWII. And the second issue would be that the academies were only graduating around 400 students a year before the two wars. A&M had a peak of 6,500 cadets in 1940. West Point doesn't even have 4,500 TODAY. By 1942, when the war was already under way, Congress authorized an increase to 2,496. They expanded to their current size in the 60's.

So A&M's chest thumping about having more commissioned officers than the academies combined has something to do with going to West Point or Annapolis was a far more prestigious and a very difficult appointment to get.

Macanudo, 2011

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL

I know you're proud of the Corps but merely entering the military by no means indicates one will ever come close to fighting. Tiny percentage actually go in harms way. Still it's great they choose to serve their country. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Aggie Scott

Scout Team
May 1, 2012
So what you are saying is we can thank ya'll for all the butter bars? :biggrin:

I do have a question for you though as I've been seeing alot on your message boards that feel they are most like Auburn and feel they understand them better because ya'll are so much alike ... do you feel the same way? and Why in all that is holy to football would you ever want to do that to yourselves?
Never been on the auburn boards, so I hav no idea what you are talking about.

Aggie Scott

Scout Team
May 1, 2012
The actual percentage is 46%. So if 46% is many, then so be it.

During World War I and World War II, A&M commissioned more officers than the military academies combined.
This probably has something to do with the fact there were only TWO academies at the time (Annapolis and West Point.) The AFA wasn't founded until AFTER WWII. And the second issue would be that the academies were only graduating around 400 students a year before the two wars. A&M had a peak of 6,500 cadets in 1940. West Point doesn't even have 4,500 TODAY. By 1942, when the war was already under way, Congress authorized an increase to 2,496. They expanded to their current size in the 60's.

So A&M's chest thumping about having more commissioned officers than the academies combined has something to do with going to West Point or Annapolis was a far more prestigious and a very difficult appointment to get.

Macanudo, 2011
Not chest thumping squib, certainly not dissing the military academys either. Everything I said is fact. Just thought some on this board might be interested in knowing something about A&M.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.