Friendly Reminder to our LSU lurkers

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Don't complain too much about LSU "giving away" this game. And that Mett just outplayed AJ in all aspects of the game.

In that final 1:34, AJ led the drive and scored with 0:51 left. It took him 43 seconds. If Mett was playing better than AJ, then 51 seconds was more than enough time.

Mett's final drive?

2-2, 5 yards, and sacked. Total drive - negative 1 yards.

When it mattered most, AJ was the better QB.

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012
It's a shame because some of LSU's fans are some of the most knowledgeable college football fans out there. The problem is the majority of their fans are completely delusional.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
They are and it will probably continue...
There was one I liked, it's been so long I can't remember his name but he was always insightful and rational (something with fish in it if I remember right). Maybe he can get grandfathered back in haha. Don't remember any others that added anything positive to the board.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's a shame because some of LSU's fans are some of the most knowledgeable college football fans out there. The problem is the majority of their fans are completely delusional.
The few have spoiled it for the many. There was a board takeover which had to be stopped and which will never happen again...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Don't complain too much about LSU "giving away" this game. And that Mett just outplayed AJ in all aspects of the game.

In that final 1:34, AJ led the drive and scored with 0:51 left. It took him 43 seconds. If Mett was playing better than AJ, then 51 seconds was more than enough time.

Mett's final drive?

2-2, 5 yards, and sacked. Total drive - negative 1 yards.

When it mattered most, AJ was the better QB.
Not to mention our guy was hitting the sidelines just past the first down marker. Their guy was throwing up the middle, short of a first down, allowing the clock to continue moving unless LSU suddenly got "hurt".

I didn't find this place until after the ban, both sorry and glad I missed all the fun at the same time.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Not to mention our guy was hitting the sidelines just past the first down marker. Their guy was throwing up the middle, short of a first down, allowing the clock to continue moving unless LSU suddenly got "hurt".

I didn't find this place until after the ban, both sorry and glad I missed all the fun at the same time.
Well, the "knowledgeable" who poster that some are referring to (pre-ban), replied to one of my posts that Mathieu would make everyone forget all about Patrick Peterson (and he was referring to his on-field skills, not off-the-field behavior). Not sure that his homerism didn't occasionally take over.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
To be fair, if the last drive taught us anything, it was that we were wasting our time with the blitz.

We got pressure on Mett on the final two snaps with a 3-man rush. That's why he dumped off to Hill on the second snap - he was about to be sacked.

Maybe our coaches will trust the line to handle the job and let us go back to playing Alabama D. This exercise in the blitz almost cost us the game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
To be fair, if the last drive taught us anything, it was that we were wasting our time with the blitz.

We got pressure on Mett on the final two snaps with a 3-man rush. That's why he dumped off to Hill on the second snap - he was about to be sacked.

Maybe our coaches will trust the line to handle the job and let us go back to playing Alabama D. This exercise in the blitz almost cost us the game.
Before the game, I think we developed the attitude of "why not blitz Mett?" We just didn't get the point quickly enough that he was giving us a lesson in why not to blitz him.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Before the game, I think we developed the attitude of "why not blitz Mett?" We just didn't get the point quickly enough that he was giving us a lesson in why not to blitz him.
Sad, but true. Just don't tell any LSU fans that - they're certain that it was 100% LSU being better than us that led to all that, and certainly NOT the idea that maybe we over thought this game.

I'm sorry, but if we had stuck to the running game and our base defense, it would've been another route. We made a game out of something that shouldn't have been one.

Sad, but true. Just don't tell any LSU fans that - they're certain that it was 100% LSU being better than us that led to all that, and certainly NOT the idea that maybe we over thought this game.

I'm sorry, but if we had stuck to the running game and our base defense, it would've been another route. We made a game out of something that shouldn't have been one.
I strongly agree with that. Running game was abandoned. We actually gained more rushing yards than they did. TJ and Circle Button was gashing them and they had no answer for the screen passes. Plus, we seemed to make mistakes right when we are about to take control. It we don't fumble, TJ walks in the end zone. This was a clean game, refs were good. We just took the win away from them. The defense played well enough. They just made plays that are normally not made. We got them into third and long but just couldn't stick it to them. But here comes
that drive!

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
There was one I liked, it's been so long I can't remember his name but he was always insightful and rational (something with fish in it if I remember right). Maybe he can get grandfathered back in haha. Don't remember any others that added anything positive to the board.
Fishhead? He was pretty reasonable. But I remember the invasion that led to the policy move and totally agree with it.

FWIW, I agree with some of the LSU fans who believe Miles blew it.

He made several very questionable coaching decisions that put his team in bad spots.

Granted, Alabama had the troops to execute at the end. Miles didn't lose the game per se. Alabama won it with a little help from the opposite sideline.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
LSU's dominance only occurred in the third and fourth quarters (until that final drive). The first half was largely a draw on which team was playing better, but Alabama finished drives where LSU did not.

And in that second half, it took Alabama's offense completely going to sleep before LSU really got going. (and they did. LSU never stopped an Alabama drive so much as we shot ourselves in the foot with missed opportunities to convert third downs. Receivers were open and AJ missed them...)

So while LSU did outplay Alabama for a lot of the game, they didn't outplay Alabama for 58:30 as I've seen a lot of the media say. I agree that Les Miles over coached the game... he was coaching like Alabama was the better team when in reality LSU was just as good and was outplaying Alabama to a level that simply coaching a conservative game would have won the game. My theory is that Miles coached conservatively last year in Tuscaloosa and it paid off because we shot ourselves in the foot. In New Orleans, he didn't adjust and we destroyed them. So he went back to his old gambling ways in Baton Rouge and of course, it backfired.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The only bad call Miles made was the fake field goal. I believe we shot ourselves in the foot on our fumbles. Both were just at bad moments.
I agree that the other gambles weren't necessarily bad decisions. The onside kick would have worked if it was properly executed. The decision to go for it on 4th and 1 was a good one, but that was a stupid play to run. Everyone knew Spencer Ware would keep the ball...

But I don't believe Miles needed any of those in order to win the game.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
The only bad call Miles made was the fake field goal. I believe we shot ourselves in the foot on our fumbles. Both were just at bad moments.

I actually think he was thinking that his kicker couldn't make the field goal. It was around a 44 yarder, he missed the one over 50 and later in the game missed the 45 yard one. So he knew he wasn't confident to make it.

But when you are 4th and 12 and Bama is playing safe, why fake it? He should have tried or punted the ball.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.