Any Tom Clancy fans?

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I believe he has a new novel coming out in May. My favorite would have to be "Without Remorse." I would say that his best work is his early novels up to that book. On a side note, with the exception of "The Hunt for Red October," I hate what Hollywood has done to his books.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
bamasoldier71 said:
I believe he has a new novel coming out in May. My favorite would have to be "Without Remorse." I would say that his best work is his early novels up to that book. On a side note, with the exception of "The Hunt for Red October," I hate what Hollywood has done to his books.

I like all his stuff as well. For me "Red Storm Rising" is his best. Followed by "Cardinal of the Kremlin" and then "the Sum of All Fears". I like the Jack Ryan books but I keep re-reading "Red Storm Rising" every few years, in fact it has been 5-6 at least since I last read it but I may have to read it again now.

Have you ever read any of Larry Bond or Dale Brown? Not quite up to Clancy but pretty darn good stuff if you are into the Genre

Jon

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Jon said:
I like all his stuff as well. For me "Red Storm Rising" is his best. Followed by "Cardinal of the Kremlin" and then "the Sum of All Fears". I like the Jack Ryan books but I keep re-reading "Red Storm Rising" every few years, in fact it has been 5-6 at least since I last read it but I may have to read it again now.
"Red Storm Rising" was what got me into Clancy's work. I have probably re-read "Without Remorse", "Patriot Games", and "The Sum of All Fears" more often than his other books. I have read that John Singleton is going to make "Without Remorse" into a movie. I hope he does the book justice.
Jon said:
Have you ever read any of Larry Bond or Dale Brown? Not quite up to Clancy but pretty darn good stuff if you are into the Genre
Brown, I don't think so. Bond, I read his first two books. I may have to re-read "Red Phoenix" and see how it jives with my experience/knowledge of Korea that I didn't have when I first read the book.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
bamasoldier71 said:
"Red Storm Rising" was what got me into Clancy's work. I have probably re-read "Without Remorse", "Patriot Games", and "The Sum of All Fears" more often than his other books. I have read that John Singleton is going to make "Without Remorse" into a movie. I hope he does the book justice.
Brown, I don't think so. Bond, I read his first two books. I may have to re-read "Red Phoenix" and see how it jives with my experience/knowledge of Korea that I didn't have when I first read the book.

I think I may have to dig Red pheonix back out and re-read it again, that and Vortex are the two I liked best of his.

Dale browns most known book is "flight of the old dog" a pretty good read

Jon

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I like them all, but I lean toward Sum of All Fears as a slight leader among a bunch of favorites. I too am due a re-read of some Clancys. I got hooked when my bro was a P3 pilot in Iceland...he turned me on to Hunt for Red October and Red Storm Rising as I was asking him about his plane's mission. "Hooked" is absolutely the right word. Love 'em.

Some years ago a friend of the bro's took us flying over the Chesapeake Bay, and pointed out Clancy's house. I thought it was waaaaay cool.

Does this love of Clancy's books mean we're all neanderthal rednecks? Yeah, probably. That's cool. :biggrin2:

exiled

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
Well, not really. BS71 knows that I am more of a moderate Democrat than a neanderthal redneck; but I like Clancy's books.

I was an antisubmarine helicopter pilot in the 60s and 70s, and I can say with some authority that Hunt for Red October was more accurate than any book I have ever read with regard to Antisubmarine tactics.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Huge clancy fan. I have all his books and love the technical detail (although sometimes it's overwhelming) that he puts into the books. It makes it all the more real. (and in fact, the plane crashing into the congress in his book was the first thing i thought of when i saw the first plane that flew into WTC the morning of 9/11. it was extremely eerie - aside from the fact that it was real and horrendous.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
I just discovered this board so this is way late. My favorite would have to be Rainbow Six. But Without Remorse, and Teeth of the Tiger are also very good. I like all his stuff. I can't believe I only started reading him a couple years ago.

Brtraker

1st Team
Nov 5, 2000
Decatur, Ala.
I am a fan as well and I have to agree with some of you that Red Storm Rising is my favorite. I have had books that were hard to put down before but none like that one. I would read until I fell asleep, which does not take long these days.:mad2:

bamaguy09

Scout Team
Nov 8, 2005

Jon
I read Red Storm Rising when I was in 6th grade and it has always been up there Catcher in the Rye to me.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Has anyone heard when or if he will be writing another one? I need my fix.
I am not sure. He hasn't written anything since his heart problems were reported in 2006. I really don't care for any of his work outside of the Jack Ryan series. I'd be interested in books in which he continues the story of Jack Jr. (from The Teeth of the Tiger).

I don't care for the Splinter Cell series, and they are not written by Tom anyway...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I am/was a huge Clancy fan as well, my first was red storm rising ( my favorite), my last was sum of all fears. but, that was actually the last novel I read. everything since has been non-fiction. I would love to get back to a good Jack Ryan book, any suggestions on the best since 'sum'?

alextupelo

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2006
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
My favorite movie of all time would be The Hunt for Red October, i finally got around to reading the book this Christmas and would have loved to seen the A-10 scene where they buzz the Russian aircraft carrier been in the movie some how.

fireater

All-SEC
Oct 12, 2008
Laramie, WY
Trivia...why was there no direct mention of Jack Ryan in Without Remorse.? Part 2. what was the indirect mention of Jack Ryan in Without Remorse.?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.