Alabama Fans Thoughts on Possibility of OU to the SEC

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think it would result in an eight team playoff system for the NC. The only problem is it would all be taking place in the SEC...
I agree, Earle the 4 team playoff will have a short shelf life. An 8 team playoff with 2 teams from each of the 4, 16 team mega conferences is where it is heading.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I think that ship has sailed. Any opportunity that OU had to join the SEC was out the window when their president, David Boren, blew us off last yr with his public comments and tried to make the bogus argument that our conference did not have sufficient academic standards and used it as cover to avoid accepting an invitation. Add to that they will never decouple from Texas. Many wealthy OU alumni live in Texas, with many of them involved in the petroleum industry, and they would not allow anything to happen that might affect the RRS. Look for us to expand eastward next, probably with schools from the state of Virginia and/or North Carolina.

All that being said, I think the overwhelming majority of th OU fanbase would absolutely love for their school to be in the SEC.

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I agree, Earle the 4 team playoff will have a short shelf life. An 8 team playoff with 2 teams from each of the 4, 16 team mega conferences is where it is heading.
But but but Notre Dame????

So which one of the big 5 in your scenario (which I happen to believe as well) does not survive? I assume big east is dead man walkin already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

So which one of the big 5 in your scenario (which I happen to believe as well) does not survive? I assume big east is dead man walkin already.

Obviously the Big East is history. The SEC, B1G, PAC# for sure. The ACC and Big XII, after desertions, will cobble together a new conference plus maybe ND. I could see actually 65 teams, 4 X 16 plus the domers.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Obviously the Big East is history. The SEC, B1G, PAC# for sure. The ACC and Big XII, after desertions, will cobble together a new conference plus maybe ND. I could see actually 65 teams, 4 X 16 plus the domers.
I agree with everything except the plus Notre Dame part. If they to play in the new world then they should have to be part of the 4x16. If not one of the #2 teams gets the shaft to let them in the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama
leave it alone! Where we are right now is good enough. We could possiblility get to big and the sedc might not win another national championship with everyone beating up on everyone!

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
leave it alone! Where we are right now is good enough. We could possiblility get to big and the sedc might not win another national championship with everyone beating up on everyone!
I don't think that it can stay like it is. It just feels unstable.

Having Missouri in the East division doesn't make sense geographically. It seems that it was devised as a short-term situation until teams that are more suited for the eastern division geographically can be added. Having 7 teams in each division just feels like it's too many teams for each division. Getting to 16 and then breaking into 4 four-team divisions would seem to make the situation more manageable.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Any chance there was of 0U coming to the SEC went out the window when A&M joined. 0U would have been a small window into the Texas tv market that the SEC might have considered better than nothing at all. Not going to happen now with A&M onboard.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
If they were to leave the Big XII, I think their best spot would be the Big Ten. They'd be able to revive the Nebraska rivalry and they feel more like a midwestern team than a southern one. They also have wrestling, a big sport in the Big Ten.
...have a hard time getting the university presidents to approve their inclusion without being AAU members, or having a plan to get there within short order.

harleyspoon

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 12, 2012
Thanks for sharing the Bama perspective. The vast majority of the comments are consistent with the views expressed by the vast majority of the Aggies I speak to. However, with the posts by other fanbases and being the newbies on the block....I was concerned that we might not be considering something that we should from an SEC perspective. Sometimes our views can get a little skewed.......sheep farms will do that to you. Roll Tide...BTHO Notre Dame.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
...so why boost their ego even more by making the call and providing them with the opportunity to turn it down?
The ND perspective may change if they lose on Jan 7 and it's obvious they can't compete at the highest level. I don't expect that to happen. I think they'll lose but I also think it will be a close game. But I thought last year's game would be closer than it was.

Is it possible for Notre Dame to have a bigger ego?

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I don't expect to see OU coming to the SEC as they and UTx seem to be joined at the hip and also because I doubt that the SEC would take both them and OK State who, as pointed out by another poster, would probably have to be part of the package.

I suspect that the most likely candidates would be out of the ACC, probably NC State and VA Tech. I don't believe that UNC is a viable candidate as I think they are more likely to be invited and to be a good fit for the Big 10 as will UVA.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.