Bowl Schedule and Payouts - Florida guaranteed Sugar Bowl, SECCG loser ends up where?

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
This is a strange year with all the 2 loss teams. And the SEC was suppose to be down this year.

When the playoffs come into play, will there still be a limit of teams in the big bowls from a certain conference?

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
If the winner of the SECCG gets the NCG, the loser should then get the Sugar Bowl. I don't know why they give it to the #3 SEC team. Makes absolutely no sense. Sugar Bowl has fallen on hard times.
Just because Florida isn't playing in the SEC Championship Game doesn't make them the #3 team in the SEC. We didn't play in the SEC Championship Game last year and nobody thought we were the #3 SEC team.

If the winner of the SECCG gets the NCG, the loser should then get the Sugar Bowl. I don't know why they give it to the #3 SEC team. Makes absolutely no sense. Sugar Bowl has fallen on hard times.
Because the Sugar Bowl doesn't want a team coming off a loss. As poor as the match-up will be, regardless, they don't want the perception of it being a "consolation prize".

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
Because the Sugar Bowl doesn't want a team coming off a loss. As poor as the match-up will be, regardless, they don't want the perception of it being a "consolation prize".
The Sugar Bowl will likely have no choice. UF is at 4 now and would pass UGA after a loss to Alabama. At #3, UF would be an automatic qualifier and the second SEC team in the BCS bowls. The Sugar Bowl wouldn't bypass UF to pick a non-SEC team.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Well they can wish all they want, but the Sugal Bowl has been a consolation prize ever since the BCS championship game was added as a separate game.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
NCG: Bama/UGA

Sugar: UF (UF will jump to #3 no matter who wins and are guaranteed a BCS bowl game; Sugar takes them)

Capital One: If Bama loses and Wisconsin wins, I think Bama/ Nebraska would be the matchup for Capital One; If Nebraska wins, Cap 1 is likely to Michigan and they won't do a rematch and UGA was there last year, so it'd be LSU or A&M

Cotton: They want A&M/UT badly; if A&M is picked by Cap 1; it could be Bama or LSU; I doubt they'd pick UGA since they traditionally go SEC West

Edit: I forgot about Outback and Gator on January 1.

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
IF Alabama wins:

BCSNCG - Alabama
Sugar - Florida
Capital One - A&M
Cotton - LSU
Chik Fil'A - UGA
Outback - USCe

IF UGA WINS:
BCSNCG - UGA
Sugar - Florida
Capital One - A&M
Cotton - Bama
Chik'Fil'A - LSU
OUtback - USCe

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
The Chick Fila Bowl would have to be the absolutely worse case scenario. I cannot imagine anyone getting up for that game, other than the coaches using it as an extra practice.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
You can't have two either.
The BCS Bowls are the 17 million dollar bowls.
Am I misreading this? The Championship game is considered a BCS Bowl and pays $17,000,000, so yes you can have two teams from any conference in the BCS Bowls. Florida will get one.

It's kind of comical that Kent State (11-1), which plays Northern Illinois (11-1) for the Mid-American Conference Championship on Friday night could move up to 16th in the final BCS standings and stay ahead of an automatic qualifying conference champion - probably the Big East titlist - and get a BCS Bowl, probably the Orange Bowl. There only loss......by 33 points to Kentucky!!!!!!! This is why I can't stand the BCS Bowl selection committee rules. How about Kent State vs Ga Tech in the Orange Bowl!

JOE_BAMA71

Sep 14, 2006
Anything other than the BCS Championship will be a disappointment. That's where Saban has taken the program. Outback, Cotton, Chik-Fil-A......they're all pretty much the same when compared to the big one. Yes, were are spoiled. Thank you Coach Saban.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
You can't have two either.
The BCS Bowls are the 17 million dollar bowls.

Uhhh....the SEC had TWO in ONE BCS Bowl last season.

And there is a stipulation for a conference to have 3 teams in BCS Bowls, and it could have happened last season also.

"No more than two teams from a conference may be selected, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large selections, unless two non-champions from the same conference are ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the final BCS Standings."

This means that had LSU lost to UGA in the SECCG last season and remained at #2 in the BCS rankings, then they and Bama would have played in the BCSNCG and UGA would have gone to the Sugar Bowl.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.