Combine grades...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Dre is graded at 92, but DQ gets a 74. I don't get that.

These three don't make much sense either:

WEAKNESSES

Hightower has a big frame and can labor at times to move in extended spaces on the field. He excels within the box but likely won't run down many scat backs at the next level. He is good to defend the pass in zone but struggles to maintain coverage in man after trying to disrupt at the line. Hightower struggles to flip his hips in man looks, and there are times when he has to change direction unexpectedly. He isn't heavy-footed, but he pursues the ball with a lot of momentum and can overshoot plays at times.

WEAKNESSES

Upshaw is a strong man who has serious lower body power, and at times this can limit his fluid movements. He labors when moving laterally and has slower feet than most productive pass rushers. He is a bull-rusher first, finesse player second. He can struggle at times pursuing a play across the field for long stretches. He is much more effective in tight quarters than in space, and there are questions as to whether or not his athletic ability will be exposed at the next level.

WEAKNESSES

Kirkpatrick has issues that surround all aspects of his prospects and overall value as he enters the draft. He is very thin and some will question his ability to play physically at the next level. Although technically not a tweener, as he has always played and been advertised as a cornerback, his size and athletic ability could encourage a transition to the safety position. It remains to be seen if Kirkpatrick can add weight to compete at that position after three years at Alabama where his physical development was minimal.
We can all agree that Dre isn't very stout, but I don't understand questioning his physical play.

Last edited:

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
remember the combine over all opinion on Rolando was that he couldnt cover the pass. The number one lb against the pass the NFL during the 2010 season? Rolando Mclain.

Grain of salt, people.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I thought this comment re: Upshaw was interesting...

He is a much more effective player against inside runs, and he struggles when having to chase outside.
Did this guy not watch the championship game? Upshaw forced a pitch on the option and chased down the RB more than once. Then he sacked Jefferson from the backside of the play while Jefferson was running the opposite way. If anything, I've always though Upshaw has incredible lateral mobility considering his size...

Black Warrior

Suspended
Mar 30, 2010
remember the combine over all opinion on Rolando was that he couldnt cover the pass. The number one lb against the pass the NFL during the 2010 season? Rolando Mclain.

Grain of salt, people.
It almost appears that the folks that do the "Analysis" part of this grading system might possibly have a vested interest in establishing some negatives against players in order to keep the price down come signing day. There are some comments that I disagree with and others are just totally wrong.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
they have to find some negatives in every player - it's just the way it works. for all the negative areas on these guys, Dre is still the TOP graded corner, Upshaw is the #2 OLB, hightower is the #2 ILB.

Also, comparing Upshaw to the #1 listed OLB (Brown from NC) is silly. Brown weights 235 and is a pure 4-3 guy - I don't care what the writer says. Upshaw has much greater versatility - able to play DE, MLB or maybe even SLB in a 4-3, and being able to play OLB or ILB in a 3-4. Brown only got the nod for his speed. At 'Bama, Brown would likely be J Harris. Conversely, had Harris been at UNC we might never had heard of Brown...

most of what is said about hightower is true, but that doesn't the author thinks he's not going to be a great player. he did write "
Hightower has looked the part of a starting Mike linebacker in the NFL for two years". The concern is really if he can play in a 4-3 where a tad more speed is usually needed to handle outside the tackle box assignments. I honestly think he can because we played a lot of schemes other than the traditional 3-4 where he did have outside reads, but the NFL folks will want to see the same in their league. The same to an even greater degree, but in reverse would be said about Kuechly above him. He's a pure 4-3 ILB. I don't see any way he could play in the middle of a 3-4. He might be okay at will which would be similar to his style of play. Sam could be possible, but that's a whole different ball game of reads and responsibilities that he's never made before. He seems pretty good from a football IQ standpoint, but I wouldn't see an NFL team taking that chance.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
and what the heck is up with Trent Richardson not even being listed?!?!?! how'd they mess that up?

Johnnyb

1st Team
Jan 4, 2011
Huntsville, AL
I keep hearing people say over and over that Dre has issues in coverage and that he'd be a better safety. I don't know what tape these guys are watching because the only play I ever saw in 2011 of Dre getting beat was the first play against FL. I went to most of the games this season and made it a point to watch him in particular. What I saw is an incredibly physically gifted player, with great instinct and surprisingly powerful. He excelled in playing bump man and was very patient in his zone.

They said he had minimal development physically??? Are you joking?! The guy was night and day physically from 2010 to 2011. He went from being a good cover corner to being the kind of guy who you do not want to go into his area cus he'll knock your stinkin head off!!!! Sorry for the rant but good grief I can't stand some of these "scouts". It's like they watch 3 plays on youtube and move on. If these media ones were actually any good they'd be working for a NFL team!

Grievous Angel

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 22, 2012
We can all agree that Dre isn't very stout, but I don't understand questioning his physical play.
I understand it completely. One of the most overrated DBs we have ever had. Talented but always seemed to be making a hit instead of a tackle. I realize it's not the same position, but Mark Barron is a MAN in comparison.

One of the the things I love across the board about our defense was the tackling. Sure, physical tackles. When I think of Dre, I don't think of that.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i still think Dre gets the short end of the stick at times. no idea why. I dont see a better CB right now and that includes Claiborne. If Dre does get beat it's because he's so aggressive and those type of CB's will get beat sometimes. But the other times which are way more often than not, it's lights out on his side.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I understand it completely. One of the most overrated DBs we have ever had. Talented but always seemed to be making a hit instead of a tackle. I realize it's not the same position, but Mark Barron is a MAN in comparison.

One of the the things I love across the board about our defense was the tackling. Sure, physical tackles. When I think of Dre, I don't think of that.

And that's only a few of his hits. If that ain't physical, I don't know what is :)

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN

Overrated? I'd say his performance and stats speak for themselves. He's anything but overrated. Yes, I think we can all agree that Mark Barron is hard to match, but let's not go overboard.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
My grandma always told me that if you get served a meal and can't ID the meat don't eat it. It may be an Auburn Fan trying to trick you.

I always wondered how they could cut up an Auburn fan in such tiny little pieces so they could be served at an all you can eat Chinese Buffet ;)

This poster smells like unidentified meat.....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.