Former Players That May Get into Coaching Later....

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
My personal opinion is Mark Ingram. You can tell he would be a great one with the way he gets pumped on the sideline at games he's came to since his playing days at Bama

BamaBeta

All-SEC
Sep 18, 2008
Atlanta
Rolando McClain was called a "coach on the field" during our 2009 run. I don't know if he wants to coach, but his actions might indicate a knack for it.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Chris Bonds.

Great character guy. He came here very heavily recruited. Had a leg injury toward the end of high school. But he's been a great teammate here. He still has at least one year of eligibility left, but if you pay attention during the game, he's the guy wearing #93 and with probably the cleanest uniform of any of our players and he's holding up signs to call plays in. Seems as if he's already on the path to coaching.

And as it is, the best coaches most times are guys who weren't the superstars (i.e. Coach Bryant being NFL HoFer's Don Hutson's teammate and Coach Saban being NFL HoFer's Jack Lambert's teammate). For several reasons....the ones with the talent can use their God given ability to compensate for mistakes. The ones that aren't as talented have to learn ALL the right things in order to be successful. The superstars often don't have the patience for the underachievers or for those that don't work as hard as they did (reference Magic Johnson's failure as a head coach of the Lakers, Mike Singletary's failure in San Francisco, and Steve Spurrier's notorious impatience with his QBs over the years), but the ones who weren't as awfully talented can understand the plight of those who aren't as talented.

So that's how you can get the Nick Sabans and Les Mileses of the world. Most of the great coaches were probably scout team type players, giving them time to absorb a LOT of knowledge while helping to prepare their teammates for competition.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Chris Bonds.

Great character guy. He came here very heavily recruited. Had a leg injury toward the end of high school. But he's been a great teammate here. He still has at least one year of eligibility left, but if you pay attention during the game, he's the guy wearing #93 and with probably the cleanest uniform of any of our players and he's holding up signs to call plays in. Seems as if he's already on the path to coaching.

And as it is, the best coaches most times are guys who weren't the superstars (i.e. Coach Bryant being NFL HoFer's Don Hutson's teammate and Coach Saban being NFL HoFer's). For several reasons....the ones with the talent can use their God given ability to compensate for mistakes. The ones that aren't as talented have to learn ALL the right things in order to be successful. The superstars often don't have the patience for the underachievers or for those that don't work as hard as they did (reference Magic Johnson's failure as a head coach of the Lakers, Mike Singletary's failure in San Francisco, and Steve Spurrier's notorious impatiences with his QBs over the years), but the ones who weren't as awfully talented can understand the plight of those who aren't as talented.

So that's how you can get the Nick Sabans and Les Mileses of the world. Most of the great coaches were probably scout team type players, giving them time to absorb a LOT of knowledge while helping to prepare their teammates for competition.
Great points.

I really, really hope Singletary gets another shot. I love that guy.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
The superstars often don't have the patience for the underachievers or for those that don't work as hard as they did (reference Magic Johnson's failure as a head coach of the Lakers, Mike Singletary's failure in San Francisco, and Steve Spurrier's notorious impatiences with his QBs over the years), but the ones who weren't as awfully talented can understand the plight of those who aren't as talented.
See: Anything related to Michael Jordan.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
I really, really hope Singletary gets another shot. I love that guy.
Seems to me that he'd be a hell of an assistant coach. Could you imagine him coaching LB at UA? I'm perfectly happy with our coaching staff, don't get me wrong, but he'd probably be a hell of a coach if his job was to teach what he knew about defense. I actually think he's the exception to WMack's list - an ultrahard worker with relatively good talent. I think the problem was deeper than simply him expecting too much from his players. It's a lot different to be a great team-manager and person-manager than to teach a craft. Saban's craft is DB, but clearly he has amazing skills with regards to teaching discipline and motivation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.