Did our d line let us down against tamu?

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Holding you to it ;-)

We lost this game in the first quarter -- though our offense was there and should have won it. We just never do well when we give up that many points in the first quarter. Difference between this game and the Sugar Bowl debacle with Utah is that our defense actually re-focused.
Yeah I guess when you lose as infrequently as the TIDE, the rare loss seems to hang around a bit longer than most other teams such as API or Tennessee for example. But why don't we move on as there are more games to be won.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It was a total team effort in the wins and a total team letdown in the loss.

Fingers could be pointed all over the place by the fans but we can just hope that they get better...

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I'm not going to make a list of things I don't want to talk about but I'm sure there was not a player on defense that was not playing his heart out. Sometimes when you are playing a schedule and you win repeatedly it gets hard to get up for games when the fans as well as the media and other coaches from the SEC talk about how great you are, you start believing them after a while and it sets you up for a big let down. I believe Coach Spurrier intentionally made the comment about Bama being able to beat some NFL teams just to set us up for a big let down.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i dont think the team was flat. our scheme on defense just did not matchup in our 1st meeting with them. it's one of those offenses you think you are ready until you actually see it. and they executed to perfection. I guarantee you next time will be much different. all in all we played well as a team. if you take away those completions by the WR's against a safety (which is scheme related) we win that game going away. the offensive line played well overall.

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011
i dont think the team was flat. our scheme on defense just did not matchup in our 1st meeting with them. it's one of those offenses you think you are ready until you actually see it. and they executed to perfection. I guarantee you next time will be much different. all in all we played well as a team. if you take away those completions by the WR's against a safety (which is scheme related) we win that game going away. the offensive line played well overall.
The defense lost containment on JFF about three times in the 1st Qtr. He made big plays out of that. After adjusting it was 20-0. Then they scored just 9 points the remainder of the game. All the bounces went to them...all the bobbles, tips, etc. BAMA plays them again it's about 35-13

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
No way it was just the DLine fault. But I will say this, I've thought all season that we are not as dominate on the defensive front as we have been in the past.

RTR '12!

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
No way.

We could benefit from a better pash rush, yes, but our guys played their butts off.

I'm moving on.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Over the years Saban has recruited, he's never had a dominant defensive end at least imo. Do you think our lack of pass rush was the reason we lost? We lost all containment against manziel. I think it was obvious the de's were getting very frustrated and just wanted to lay the wood on johnny instead of wrap up. Going into the game I always thought our lack of a four person pass rush would eventually get to us. Hopefully we get Nkemdiche this class. I think he'd start immediately or at least get major PT. Thank God Aaron Murray isn't a mobile qb and hopefully we learn not to blitz on max protect like we did at LSU.

Thoughts?

You win and lose as a team. It serves nobody to single out and point fingers.

bmfcox

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
I'm not going to make a list of things I don't want to talk about but I'm sure there was not a player on defense that was not playing his heart out. Sometimes when you are playing a schedule and you win repeatedly it gets hard to get up for games when the fans as well as the media and other coaches from the SEC talk about how great you are, you start believing them after a while and it sets you up for a big let down. I believe Coach Spurrier intentionally made the comment about Bama being able to beat some NFL teams just to set us up for a big let down.
Agree with everything but the spurrier comment. I don't believe bamas defensive line is designed for elite pass rush. I'm Sue CNS would like more of a rush from the line, but in reality they're just gap fillers. The lbs are blitzers along with the secondary. Would I love to see a Clowney or two on the dline, YES, but we just don't have them.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

Neverending

Suspended
Nov 19, 2011
the game is over but to answer your question...yes, because Johnny had a lot of time to make decisions in the pocket.

smohabbat

Scout Team
Oct 13, 2011
all that matters now is how they play going forward. I have the world of faith in them in run stuffing but it will be crucial for them to play better against Georgia. Aaron Murray is no scrub at all and could easily burn us if he has enough time. He may not be a scramble qb but he is mobile qb much like AJ.

Illusions

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 4, 2009
Summerville, SC
The moment I heard this comment come from Spurrier I said the team needs extra work to remove that clutter or we will lose a game. the next week we played LSU and it was starting to show its effect. It was in full strength after the comeback in the LSU game. By the time we played TA&M the damage had run its full course.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.