JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
BCS preview: Alabama fighting both the Irish and history
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
January 3rd, 2013 05:15 AM

By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Jan. 3, 2012   If the Alabama-LSU matchup in the 2012 BCS Championship Game was a matchup made for 20- and 30-somethings who have grown up in the era of SEC dominance, then the 2013 BCS Championship Game is a nod to the 40-, 50- and 60-somethings who still get [...]

Read More Here

4thGenBamaGrad

1st Team
Nov 4, 2007
Boca Raton, FL
Every time I start to get nervous about the match-up, I keep coming back to the "opposition" angle of the game's analysis. And you gave this aspect its proper due credit--something the national media has glared over.

That, along with the experience factor, has given me more confidence going into this game than in our 3 close SEC games this year.

RTR!!!

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
Good write-up, Jess, as usual. Every week, before I read your write-up, I play a game with myself by trying to predict your prediction. I'm usually close every week, but this time, I nailed it - 23-13! Gotta be a good sign!

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
Good analysis. I will take 23-13 all day. If Bama comes out and plays their game, I think they win but just like last night with UF, they got off to a bad start and never really recovered. I just hope we don't have any injuries or anything like that that will change the look of the game.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In 1976, the Cincinnati Reds returned to the World Series as defending champs against the NY Yankees. The Yankees, of course, had the Everest reputation but had been lousy and irrelevant for 12 years. A writer noted that the Yankees were back in the Series but it was the team in the other dugout that looked like the Yankees of legend.

This year shapes up the same. It used to be Notre Dame that struck fear & respect in the hearts of the opposition, but now they are the invited guests. How did that World Series turn out? The Reds drilled the Yanks in four straight in one of the most one-sided Series ever. While that probably won't happen here, the point is the pedigree has changed.

One note - love the review but fails to mention the Irish win over OU, which their fans hold to as proof they can stop the run. But OU can't run anyway.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Great write up - very detailed, but I disagree on a few points. First the obvious - Notre Dame's biggest win was against Stanford. Given what we have seen from the Trees this season, that one cannot be overlooked.

I think that Alabama wins handily in the OL/DL matchup. My prediction - even somewhat hobbled, Jones will have the game of his life on Monday.

Finally, I suspect that you are just handing Notre Dame the ST area. While Alabama may not have been as consistent as Notre Dame, Notre Dame has been consistently BAD. That does not translate into an advantage for ND in my book. Maybe you gave ND this area because you don't want to jinx the Alabama squad.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Awesome read; very interesting. Nix is my bigger concern than Teo because he is more disruptive at the LOS. Teo is a stud in zone coverage though.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
B1GTide [QUOTE said:
Finally, I suspect that you are just handing Notre Dame the ST area. While Alabama may not have been as consistent as Notre Dame, Notre Dame has been consistently BAD. That does not translate into an advantage for ND in my book. Maybe you gave ND this area because you don't want to jinx the Alabama squad.
completely agree. Bama's ST is slightly better than ND. even ND fans will admit this area is of concern for them.

BJ4TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 11, 2007
Great analysis. The only thing I would point out is that Calloway's first name is Brent, not Blake.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i think this quote

It has every chance to be as competitive and physical as any recent Alabama-LSU contest.
is what makes me most comfortable about this game. our team is very experienced at playing knock-down, drag-outs against very physical teams. and we usually come out on top in these games.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.