Link: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

deboard

Scout Team
Sep 1, 2009
I'm not too concerned about Smart going to Auburn. If I remember correctly, he also has interviewed at other jobs last season. And Saban encourages him to interview for the experience.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I am not too concerned about the Barn although they could make him think about it by driving up with a dump truck load of cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Ya know -- I may be off base.....but I wish some of our coaches would consider that there are three programs that they really shouldn't consider working for ---

Auburn, LSU, and UT ---

They have the rest of the country to peddle their wares -- but interviewing at Auburn is like Robin interviewing with The Joker.....you just don't do that kind of stuff

(love Kirby, but to me, that's a bit uncool)

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
He would be the perfect hire for Auburn. Recruiting wise, coaching wise and with their situation I don't think they will attract anyone that is already in a big time position and successful to come and compete against Nick Saban in Alabama and the SEC. If they are "smart", pun intended, they will make him a very wealthy man.

The only thing I think he should be aware of and to contemplate before going there is will he be given full reigns of the team to do as he see's fit. I am sure coach Saban will give him the right advice and sure hope he doesn't go there. Would remind me of how coach Bryant didn't like seeing Pat Dye going to Auburn. But ultimately it will be his decision and where his ego lies will probably determine that.
NOT
NCAA snooping around and too many ghosts who have a say in the program make this a hazard zone. Plus, I believe very few coaches are ready to take the helm of a major program - that's a stretch with Auburn I know - as their first major coaching assignment.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm less worried about Smart going to the barn than I am about losing Smart - he's our DC, no matter what the other teams say. Losing him wouldn't be blip-free, I don't think...

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I hope it is more of a practice interview than anything. Like the other times.. I just don't see why he would choose that place, when I am sure he could go to another school that isn't about to be hit with sanctions. We will see.

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
Practice interview or not, I think it's just wrong to be interviewing at our rival school and the fact that he would be coaching and recruiting against his mentor Nick Saban.

I went to Auburn over the weekend and just felt dirty being in that Pasture, I mean town. I'm sorry, but I just don't see AU being a prime opportunity. I mean with all of the ghosts and clutter that surrounds that program, plus the fact the NCAA breathing down your neck, how would you want to get into that mess.

I hope the administration shows Kirby the money and perks to make him happy enough to stay.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I don't see anything wrong with it. It is a career and in any other job it would be normal to interview at a competitor. It just wouldn't be as public as the coaching searches are.

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
I tink that CKS is probably doing it to "keep the peace" so to speak. Good PR . If he doesn't, imagine the fallout from the Whiniest, Cheatingest Village on the Plains. He's way to "smart" to take that job.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know we have trouble removing our "fandom" from these discussions, but I just can't imagine CKS taking the Auburn job right now.

There is so much uncertainty with the NCAA snooping around, the meddling in the program from too many, plus the risk of having to recruit and coach against the very best.

They've proven that they are not real patient down there.

Me, I just can't see it happening.

But hopefully if he does interview they'll offer him the job and he'll turn it down! That would be humiliating for the Barners!!!

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
When Bama assistants go coach at Auburn, they feel second class. When you feel second class, you drink heavily. When you drink heavily, you say stupid things on the Finebaum show. When you say stupid things on the Finebaum show, every knows it's Pat Dye. Don't become like Pat Dye, and stay at Alabama.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Kirby is not going to Auburn. He's getting experience in the process, but he and Auburn are not a good fit imo. They need an offensive minded head coach that will continue a fast paced spread offense.....like Malzahn for example. No way Kirby can pull a Pat Dye on Alabama and beat us at our own game because Coach Saban is still peaking, so they will have to go a different route.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Obviously I am not an "Auburn man" nor aspire to ever be one but I get the feeling they will want a guy with successful head coaching experience as their next hire. I'm not saying they're going to go after someone established at the top level but at least go after a guy like Fedora who has been a successful OC and HC early in his career.

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia
IF he actually interviews at the Cow College it certainly won't surprise me. There's a big difference in $900,000 a year vs $4 million. I never thought I'd see Bill Oliver down there, either.

I hope this rumor is like the Charlie Strong to AU rumor with no validity.

I couldn't blame him if he got serious about the Tennessee job, though. Much better program without nearly as many negative aspects.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
On Smart's interview at AU .... Consider the sources of the reports, then wait to see what more credible media has to say

RTRforever14

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 29, 2012
I do not think Smart is ready to be a head coach and go against Saban, head to head. He knows that better than any of us. Plus, if he just stays at Alabama another 7-10 years, he can have the Job when Saban leaves.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
When Bama assistants go coach at Auburn, they feel second class. When you feel second class, you drink heavily. When you drink heavily, you say stupid things on the Finebaum show. When you say stupid things on the Finebaum show, every knows it's Pat Dye. Don't become like Pat Dye, and stay at Alabama.
Now that's funny !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.