Link: Dooley is Out At UT

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
Re: Since my last Thread was "dupe"

I look for Tennessee to interview Kirby Smart. If offered, I think he would take it. Remember the Dave Hart/Bama connection. He's one of the few candidates without HC experience I believe a school on whom a big-time program would take chance.

Right now, I'd also say there's more of a chance of Derek Dooley coming to Tuscaloosa than Sal Sunseri returning, probably as a recruiting coordinator or assistant director of football operations, etc. A previous post was correct, Sal was able to negotiate a guarantee for 3 yrs.
This is a watershed hire for Tennessee. They are going to try and hire an experienced head coach. They have to. Their three chief rivals are all winning at a high level. They can't afford to let another young, inexperienced coach "grow into" the job.

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN
Re: Dooley is Out At UT (per VolQuest.com)

I wonder how we'll make a position on our staff for Sal. I have a hard time thinking Saban won't find a way to get him back on board. We've been missing his pass rush this year and last night showed.
Sal Sunseri's reputation was a gift from Saban. He coached several of the best linebackers in recent memory. If you've been following Tennessee this season, you know that guy hasn't exactly looked like Vince Lombardi.

I hope that Tennessee does hire Gruden. He won the Super Bowl with Dungy's team. Besides that one season, he had very little success in the NFL. He has no experience recruiting. If you lived in Tennessee like I do, you'd know that their fans want Peyton Manning to be the next head coach. To those of you keeping score, Manning has never coached a football team at any level and he is still a choke artist of the highest order.

Last edited:

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN
Re: Dooley is Out At UT - not so fast, my friend - He's Out

In addition, I am thoroughly amused by how many of us just hate to see Dooley go. I remember how many Vol fans told me about what a mistake it was getting rid of Mike Shula. "That guy is a real class act. He was turning it around there; you should have given him more time." :rolleyes:

BamaBoots

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Rocket City

Alright now just because Tennessee has panicked, Aubren and usc, don't do anything rash like fire your coach! Keep hope alive and keep LAME and Cheesenik!!! Much Love!!!:BigA::biggrin2::BigA:

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
Re: Dooley is Out At UT - not so fast, my friend - He's Out

Won't be coaching their last game huh, dang it Dooley whys ya lose to the dores!
Anyway link says they will start the search thought they had Gruden on standby
With Gruden making 4.3 million per year for his Monday Night Football gig, think they might want to look elsewhere.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Dooley is Out At UT - not so fast, my friend - He's Out

Gruden has a double-wide on his aheep farm in Maryville. Plus his wife was a cheerleader there. Plus, he was, like, a GA there. It's all so obvious. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL

The pressure on UT cannot be overstated. Their top 3 rivals - Bama, Florida, Georgia - are about to be ranked numbers 2, 3, and 4 in the country this week.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Found this nugget, over at Fox Sports:

Tennessee faces some financial issues as it chooses its new coach. The university's athletic department posted a $3.98 million budget deficit for the 2011-12 fiscal year in part because of buyouts it was paying to Fulmer, former athletic director Mike Hamilton, former men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl and former baseball coach Todd Raleigh.
Good luck paying $$$$$ to get a real coach. Couple that with the 2-year extension, added to their probation................couldn't happen to a better bunch of rats. (API being lower than rats.)

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida

Found this nugget, over at Fox Sports:

Good luck paying $$$$$ to get a real coach. Couple that with the 2-year extension, added to their probation................couldn't happen to a better bunch of rats. (API being lower than rats.)
Their athletic department just completed a restructure back in the summer. Looks like money is tight. http://www.utsports.com/genrel/041612aad.html

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
There is a huge difference in being an assistant coach and a head coach. As an assistant, it is easy to believe you have all the answers,, but the game is completely different when you are on top and having to make the tough calls. Dooley will land on his feet somewhere as an assistant, but he simply was not ready for taking on this position.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
There is a huge difference in being an assistant coach and a head coach. As an assistant, it is easy to believe you have all the answers,, but the game is completely different when you are on top and having to make the tough calls. Dooley will land on his feet somewhere as an assistant, but he simply was not ready for taking on this position.

I think he will be a head coach somewhere. I think he is a good head coach. He has been real close to winning 3-5 more games this year. One possession games where one play makes a difference. He may want to spend more time in a smaller school to learn and develop his coaching style. He may end up taking a Louisville if Strong gets offered a better job.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
I think he will be a head coach somewhere. I think he is a good head coach. He has been real close to winning 3-5 more games this year. One possession games where one play makes a difference. He may want to spend more time in a smaller school to learn and develop his coaching style. He may end up taking a Louisville if Strong gets offered a better job.
Perhaps he might get another gig as HC at a smaller school, but there is a greater chance that he ends up as an assistant somewhere, even in the NFL.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
They came within a too-many-players-on-the-field penalty of beating the who's LAST year. I hope they hire Bobby Petrino.

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top

you'd know that their fans want Peyton Manning to be the next head coach. To those of you keeping score, Manning has never coached a football team at any level and he is still a choke artist of the highest order.
You say this like it is a common thing for fans to want Peyton Manning as a coach in Knoxville. Anyone that has a clue about football knows that would be a horrendous decision if Manning was looking for a job. Like you say he has never coached at any level. You also hear the name George Quarles thrown around by some idiots. http://www.hsfdatabase.com/tn_maryvillefaf.htm - if you are wondering who he is. He is one of the best high school coaches around.

Manning or Quarles could possibly make good coaches at the college level but you don't get your first college job as a head coach in the SEC.

Last edited:

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
Seems like I have been around here before with coaching searches being the subject. Working on coach #4 since 08. No idea where this one will lead. Personally, I don't want to see another mid-major coach come in unless Louisville is considered a mid-major.

The top 2 on my list would be Charlie Strong and Bob Stoops. Although Kirby Smart may make a good head coach I don't really want to be the school that gives him that first job although I would not rule out Hart hiring him...Hart did say in his press conference that getting a coach with head coaching experience will be a critical thing on his list.

I believe Gruden is pretty far fetched. Even if he wants to come to college it may be hard to get him and a top notch staff. Probably looking at nearly $10 mil/year for Gruden and staff. Even if he is hired I am not sure how well he could recruit. He would definitely bring some excitement but would have to win, as would any coach, to keep excitement for more than a year or so.

Like I said, I have no idea where this will go I just don't want a coach from a mid-major again.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.