Why are so many under the opinion that Coach Smart is itching to leave?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Does anyone else share my opinion that Coach Smart at 36, an alumni of Georgia, whose peers are all in the south and has one of the top coordinator jobs in the country under the NCAA's best coach, is not really itching to move on, so there is no reason to assume that he is interested in every middle of the pack job that opens up across the country?

I believe he will wait for the next round of SEC openings or become the next coach at Alabama. I do not believe we have to worry ourselves about him leaving anymore this year. My opinion.

Any thoughts?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Good question. Maybe he is a Bud Foster or Mickey Andrews. One thing is for sure, he is an excellent fit in Ttown.
He could be. but at 36 he has a long way to go :). He seems to have a great time running a defense and not having to stand stoically on the sidelines. He's young and has plenty of time, why not continue to ride this dynasty to its conclusion?

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I agree with you, CapstoneTider. Sure, I was freaking out this morning upon hearing the rumors, but my gut said he would never be that stupid, no matter how much money may have been on the table. For some people, coaching isn't ALL about the money. CKS made a wise decision!

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I agree with you, CapstoneTider. Sure, I was freaking out this morning upon hearing the rumors, but my gut said he would never be that stupid, no matter how much money may have been on the table. For some people, coaching isn't ALL about the money. CKS made a wise decision!
We think alike. I would have been absolutely shocked if he took this job. It just felt all wrong. I really believe he is very happy as the DC at a storied program in dynasty mode and it will take a really, really good offer in the next 4 years to move him out of it.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This is my opinion as well. I do not think it's out of the realm of possibility that he could take over when Nick Saban retires. I also do not think it's out of the realm of possibility that he's been told: you'll get the job if you stick around. Not in contractual terms, but just a heads up that he's the first in line when Coach Saban leaves.

Either way, he's in a position to be extremely picky and I think he will be. Especially if Muschamp continues to succeed at Florida.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This is my opinion as well. I do not think it's out of the realm of possibility that he could take over when Nick Saban retires. I also do not think it's out of the realm of possibility that he's been told: you'll get the job if you stick around. Not in contractual terms, but just a heads up that he's the first in line when Coach Saban leaves.

Either way, he's in a position to be extremely picky and I think he will be. Especially if Muschamp continues to succeed at Florida.
Could not have said it better, really. I am in total agreement about a possible internal agreement. We are going to have the Shadow of Saban like the Shadow of the Bear anyway.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I wouldn't say he is "itching to leave" but he's the one of the top assistants in the country (Broyles award in 2009), with extensive experience with a system that is a proven success, so opportunities are going to be coming his way for the foreseeable future. Saban has a history of encouraging his assistants in their careers, so the next step would naturally be a head coaching gig somewhere else. Of course there is going to be speculation.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I wouldn't say he is "itching to leave" but he's the one of the top assistants in the country (Broyles award in 2009), with extensive experience with a system that is a proven success, so opportunities are going to be coming his way for the foreseeable future. Saban has a history of encouraging his assistants in their careers, so the next step would naturally be a head coaching gig somewhere else. Of course there is going to be speculation.
I believe that is the reason that everyone assumes he wants to leave. Simply being happy were you are can override all of that. And I believe that to be the case. If not he would have already been hired imo.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I don't think he's "itching to leave" at all . I think anyone, including Coach Smart would be totally insane to not explore every possible legitimate opportunity to enhance their careers, their lives and the lives of their families.

When I took my first radio job in 1981 I grew to love my station and all my co-workers, and the experience I gained was invaluable. My primary mentor was the General Manager who gave me that opportunity.
But when the competitive station across town offered to double my salary you better believe I agreed to sit down and listen to their offer.
I took it because my wife and I wanted to have kids and a house rather than a one bedroom apartment.
My GM not only understood he encouraged me and we remain great friends to this day.

Coach Smart isn't coaching at Alabama because he grew up wanting to coach at Alabama. He's coaching at Alabama because it was an opportunity he felt he couldn't pass up at the time. Coach Saban understands this and so should Tide fans as well.

If a better opportunity comes along in his opinion then Kirby may take it. If he does I don't blame him one bit and I'll wish him nothing but the best.

sip

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I don't think he's "itching to leave" at all . I think anyone, including Coach Smart would be totally insane to not explore every possible legitimate opportunity to enhance their careers, their lives and the lives of their families.

When I took my first radio job in 1981 I grew to love my station and all my co-workers, and the experience I gained was invaluable. My primary mentor was the General Manager who gave me that opportunity.
But when the competitive station across town offered to double my salary you better believe I agreed to sit down and listen to their offer.
I took it because my wife and I wanted to have kids and a house rather than a one bedroom apartment.
My GM not only understood he encouraged me and we remain great friends to this day.

Coach Smart isn't coaching at Alabama because he grew up wanting to coach at Alabama. He's coaching at Alabama because it was an opportunity he felt he couldn't pass up at the time. Coach Saban understands this and so should Tide fans as well.

If a better opportunity comes along in his opinion then Kirby may take it. If he does I don't blame him one bit and I'll wish him nothing but the best.

sip
Yes but the definition of what he believes will enhance his career varies greatly among many of us. At this time I believe it to be a Georgia, Alabama type position. Anywhere outside the south would have to be extraordinary. What are the chances that coach Saban and the program is going to crumble? I don't see his "hitting while it's hot" as a small window but one that will be open for the next 6-8 years.

We don;t need to worry about him going to the Mississippi State when Mullen leaves type jobs for the next few years. Just my opinion.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Yes but the definition of what he believes will enhance his career varies greatly among many of us. At this time I believe it to be a Georgia, Alabama type position. Anywhere outside the south would have to be extraordinary. What are the chances that coach Saban and the program is going to crumble? I don't see his "hitting while it's hot" as a small window but one that will be open for the next 6-8 years.

We don;t need to worry about him going to the Mississippi State when Mullen leaves type jobs for the next few years. Just my opinion.
I agree completely CT, I'm just saying you can't blame him nor anyone for listening to the offer and the job opportunity. Personally I think he would not have taken the Auburn job even if they offered him 5 million a year because it is a total no win for him.

First of all there's the possibility of pending NCAA trouble.

Secondly, I truly believe he would have tried to implement the Saban process he has learned under. That mind set may have scared off the majority of players on their current team.

Thirdly, in order to implement that process you have to recruit great players, that simple. THAT takes time. AUBURN, obviously doesn't give coaches very much time.

Fourthly, I think he truly believes, as I do, that he will be our next head coach. Why in the world would you jeopardize that possibility by jumping from an Air Craft Carrier to a sinking canoe?

All that said....you still gotta listen to what other folks have to say...that's all I was sayin.

By the way, I lasted one year at that competitive station and hated it so bad that I started the business I'm still in today, so you're right, a move "up" isn't always a move "up".

sip

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
ESPN says he is supposed to get a HC job so maybe that's it. He does have one of the best assistant jobs in the country. It seems like the media almost gets upset at coaches who are happy with their job, even if it is not the head job at a major power.

Does anyone else share my opinion that Coach Smart at 36, an alumni of Georgia, whose peers are all in the south and has one of the top coordinator jobs in the country under the NCAA's best coach, is not really itching to move on, so there is no reason to assume that he is interested in every middle of the pack job that opens up across the country?

I believe he will wait for the next round of SEC openings or become the next coach at Alabama. I do not believe we have to worry ourselves about him leaving anymore this year. My opinion.

Any thoughts?
We just want him to stay so badly...

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I agree completely CT, I'm just saying you can't blame him nor anyone for listening to the offer and the job opportunity. Personally I think he would not have taken the Auburn job even if they offered him 5 million a year because it is a total no win for him......
You made some good points. I also believe it's harder for defensive coaches to get things started. First they have less control over the actual game, more of a philosophy. But once it's constructed, it's more sound. Petrino at Arkansa is a perfect example of winning fast with an offensive guru and the ramifications when he leaves. And losing recruits to sanctions would make it that much harder. It would have been career suicide.

I share your opinion that he will be the next coach or believes it. The Shadow of Coach Saban is going to be huge, and he would be a good bridge at the least, but hopefully a long term solution.

Kids today will look at Coach Saban like many of us did Coach Bryant, and Coach Bryant will be like how we view Wallace Wade....the really old days.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
We just want him to stay so badly...
These coach in waiting gigs never seem to work out. I still believe the university will walk around the block a few times before it ever hires the loyal assistant with no head-guy experience. Muschamp offers the counter point of view

Those of y'all with day-to-day ties with the university might be able to answer this: Is there any kind of unspoken understanding with Kirby? Or does he have to leave to come back?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
These coach in waiting gigs never seem to work out. I still believe the university will walk around the block a few times before it ever hires the loyal assistant with no head-guy experience. Muschamp offers the counter point of view

Those of y'all with day-to-day ties with the university might be able to answer this: Is there any kind of unspoken understanding with Kirby? Or does he have to leave to come back?

I personally don't think he's guaranteed anything at all but that's just my opinion.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I personally don't think he's guaranteed anything at all but that's just my opinion.
If he was, the 2012 way is internal. The days of the high profile public coach in waiting is over I think. But I would not be surprised if there are several assistants around the country at successful programs with good relations with their head coaches that have been given the wink and a handshake.
You see this in the corporate world down the the hamburger shop assistant.

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
Don't know much about Mickey Andrews but Foster and Smart don't belong in the same sentence. There are several reasons Foster is a long time assistant and I can't believe any of those reasons apply to Smart.
Foster has had his days... But that is a discussion for another day. I was referring more to longevity in a coordinator position.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.