Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
First of all good luck to the Tide, I think UGA has a LOT of talent, you guys have better coaches and are mentally tougher and I think you win. Here is strictly by the numbers a comparison of the schedules and stats of the three teams left standing for that NC

Alabama's opponents record 70-72 (if you take out the FCS opponent then 69-62) Digging a little more the record of the opponents Alabama defeated 59-62 (FCS game not included)

Georgia's opponents record (FCS game not included) 63-68 Breaking it down more the record of the opponents Georgia defeated 53-68

ND's opponents record both played and beaten 82-60

Alabama is 2-1 against teams currently in the top 25
Georgia is 1-1 against teams currently in the top 25
ND is 3-0 against teams currently in the top 25

Alabama is 5-1 against bowl eligible teams
Georgia is 4-1 against bowl eligible teams
ND is 9-0 against bowl eligible teams

Alabama played 4 games away from home. Opponents record 22-24
UGA played 5 games away from home. Opponents record 31-29
ND played 6 games away from home. Opponents record 40-32

Alabama points scored 468, points allowed 111
Georgia points scored 456, points allowed 212
ND points scored 321, points allowed 124

Alabama is 2-1 against teams in the Top 50 in Scoring Defense
Georgia is 2-1 against teams in the Top 50 in Scoring Defense
ND is 3-0 against teams in the Top 50 in Scoring Defense

Alabama is 2-1 against teams in the Top 50 in Scoring Offense
Georgia is 3-1 against teams in the Top 50 in Scoring Offense
ND is 3-0 against teams in the Top 50 in Scoring Offense

Scoring Defense- Alabama #1, ND #2, Georgia #16
Total Defense- Alabama #1, ND #6, Georgia #22
Sacks By Defense- ND #19, Alabama #26, Georgia #60
Sacks Allowed- ND #28, Alabama #51, Georgia #56

Scoring Offense- Alabama #15, Georgia #17, ND #75
Total Offense- Georgia #24, Alabama #43, ND #48
3rd Down Conversion %- Alabama #18, ND #20, Georgia #27
Time of Possession- ND #11, Alabama #29, Georgia #91
Fewest Yards Penalized Per Game- Alabama #8, ND #32, Georgia #61

No matter who plays ND in the championship game, I would say the game will be a VERY close contest.

I think it will be ND-Alabama

Last edited:

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
Interesting stats. One correction:

Alabama played five games away from home and was 5-0 against teams with an overall record of 30-28.

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
And your point is????
Both Bama and Ga would be favored against the storied!

Well I think anyone looking at it objectively because numbers are numbers:

1) ND has played a tougher schedule
2) ND's defense MORE than stacks up
3) ND's scoring offense lags behind the two SEC teams
4) Alabama overall stats when you look at both sides of the ball are the best

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You know what's funny? We're used to argument by statistics. In 2009, Texas had the nation's #2 rush defense - then they watched two stars run for over 100 yards apiece against them. Last year the reason LSU was going to win it all is because they beat Oregon and West Vieginia but we didn't play anybody.

Notre Dame may win it all, but just like lifting weights doesn't make you a good fighter because bar bells don't punch back, beating an overrated Oklahoma, a vastly overrated USC, and surviving Pitt doesn't impress either.

Go take a look at the list of guys we've knocked out of games with clean and legal hits the last four years. We have only lost to big game QBs in the last four years - and as of now we don't have any ahead of us.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well I think anyone looking at it objectively because numbers are numbers:

1) ND has played a tougher schedule
2) ND's defense MORE than stacks up
3) ND's scoring offense lags behind the two SEC teams
4) Alabama overall stats when you look at both sides of the ball are the best
Number of teams ND played with players with BCSNCG experience: 0
Alabama? 2 plus they scrimmage against another

It's not that difficult to keep team points low when you play Navy and the Big Ten.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
You can't have objective stats unless you have common opponents. Even then it's tough because of location, time of year, injuries, etc.

Comparing schedules....

Miss State v Pitt - who would win?
UT vs BYU - who would win?
LSU v Stanford - who would win?

Bama's edge is that ND has not seen the depth, the speed, and the athletes of an SEC roster in a long time...

The last time ND played an SEC school was their Bowl Game in 2006 - losing 41-3

it may be a blowout

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Enjoy the conversation guys, if you're rude opposing fans won't stay around very long.

Nice stat compilation. Maybe you should find out the ranking of the other team when they played. I do have to agree that it's hard to compare without a common opponent.

I hope this game comes to pass because it will show that solid defense is needed to be a champion.

From my phone with Tapatalk

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
Number of teams ND played with players with BCSNCG experience: 0
Alabama? 2 plus they scrimmage against another

It's not that difficult to keep team points low when you play Navy and the Big Ten.

Playing Navy or Pitt is a WHOLE lot tougher then playing Western Carolina, Western Kentucky, or Florida Atlantic. IF ND EVER played a team like that the media would CRUCIFY them....Those games ARE scrimmages. And if the the mighty LSU can struggle against "mighty" Towson State (12-10 victory) and Florida can struggle against that "juggernaut" Louisiana Lafayette (27-20) ND can "struggle" against ANY team on their schedule.

These are kids not professionals so ANYTHING is possible.

Bamatim15

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 12, 2012
Kingsport TN
I hope that Alabama gets to play ND but no matter, Alabama or Georgia the outcome will be the same. The boys in the golden hats will then be "Notre Numb". Prepare Irish for some shock and awe.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Playing Navy or Pitt is a WHOLE lot tougher then playing Western Carolina, Western Kentucky, or Florida Atlantic. IF ND EVER played a team like that the media would CRUCIFY them....Those games ARE scrimmages. And if the the mighty LSU can struggle against "mighty" Towson State (12-10 victory) and Florida can struggle against that "juggernaut" Louisiana Lafayette (27-20) ND can "struggle" against ANY team on their schedule.

These are kids not professionals so ANYTHING is possible.
He's got a good point there. If Bama or Georgia overlooks ND the way the fans are, then it could be bad...really bad. I'm talking Bama/Miama 1992 bad.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Mav,

ND used to play Army, Navy, and Air Force in the same year, every year. The media never said much about that. I will defend the SEC's right to schedule softer opponents because the league schedule is pretty tough and physically grinding on a football team.

ND beat everyone on their schedule, that's all they can do.

From my phone with Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Maverick, thanks for posting, hope you enjoy your time on the forum!

For the Tide Fans, I'd remind you these are our guests. It's an Bama board, but these guys have (so far) been exactly the kind of opposing fans we want here - let's treat them accordingly.

Carry on.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Welcome Maverick. I look forward to playing you guys in the BCSNCG. Should be an instant classic. :BigA:

I'm one of those who has seen each of the previous ND-Bama games and have been wanting to match up again for quite a while. Now it appears it may happen. Either way, good luck.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
UGA and Alabama both benefited from playing weak SEC schedules. There are too many teams in the conference to only play 8 games. LSU had to play USC and UF while Bama played neither. ND played a good schedule, but the Big10 is nothing like the talent in the SEC.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Notre Dame did not have an easy schedule. But, they were fortunate to catch a lot of traditional football powers in down years.

I think we can use Sagarin to weed out some of this win loss stuff.
Notre Dame SoS (30)
Alabama SoS (39)
Georgia SoS (42)

This is thrown off a bit by a couple really soft opponents that Alabama and Georgia played. Likewise, once Alabama and Georgia play it will provide a huge boost to their SoS.

Georgia played #4, #10 (lost), #29, and #33.
Notre Dame played #8 (should have lost), #9, #20, and #37.
Alabama played #7 (lost) #11 and #20, and #33.

Georgie was +53 points, Notre Dame was +46, Alabama was +46

I think the argument could be made that Alabama and Georgia did have a more rigorous schedule due to the difficulties of playing in the SEC. Both Georgia and Notre Dame had very bad days. Georgia got blown out by South Carolina, and Notre Dame should have lost to a 5-6 Pitt team. Alabama distances itself in the fact that they have been able to maintain a higher level of play with more consistency and Notre Dame by not losing. If you remove Georgia's game against South Carolina though, and they might look like the best team on paper.

I would bet on Alabama to beat Georgia or Notre Dame. But, to beat Georgia AND Notre Dame? That's a tall order for any team...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.