Jay Tate reporting Trooper out at AU

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
We'll see for sure, but I have a gut feeling that Malzahn will be more successful than many here are admit, assuming he's not reigned in by the Board and it's friends.

Now how he gets to be successful will be the rub, and for how long he is the coach will be anyone's guess. I do feel like he'll be the next Petrino in that Auburn will be a strong 3rd in the division, occasionally working into second place.
Really?? LSU isn't going anywhere, TAMU is emerging, Ole Miss gaining momentum, Miss St with a 4th year coach in place and Arky going back to smash mouth football. IMO, auburn with Gus will be fighting for 4th or 5th on an annual basis.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Let me be the first person in this thread to say...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I wanted those poisonous guys to stay!

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
We can say what we want about Bobby Petrino, but he could turn average joes into All-American QB's. Gus has to have an All-World player for his system to be sucessful. We have witnessed it already. Two 8-5 seasons without Cam, one of those seasons his offense was ranked 100th nationally. 8-5 is not going to get you 3rd in the SEC West, it will take 9-10 wins to place 3rd in the SEC West.
This is false. Gus had #1 in the NCAA offenses at Tulsa, and set Auburn records with Chris Todd. They may not win championships, but it will not be because of bad offense.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This is false. Gus had #1 in the NCAA offenses at Tulsa, and set Auburn records with Chris Todd. They may not win championships, but it will not be because of bad offense.
I'm not so sure. Without Cam, Malzahn's offense at the barn was 0-8 against Alabama, LSU, Georgia and Arkansas. In his third and last year, it averaged 11 points a game against those four, and that gives credit for at least two non-offensive TDs against us. Without those, it averaged just under 8.

Without Cam, they beat exactly one SEC team with a winning SEC record running Malzahn's offense.

I agree that they will roll up stats against inferior competition. But without a Heisman-caliber QB, have serious misgivings about the ability of this offense to beat truly good teams.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I'm not so sure. Without Cam, Malzahn's offense at the barn was 0-8 against Alabama, LSU, Georgia and Arkansas. In his third and last year, it averaged 11 points a game against those four, and that gives credit for at least two non-offensive TDs against us. Without those, it averaged just under 8.

Without Cam, they beat exactly one SEC team with a winning SEC record running Malzahn's offense.

I agree that they will roll up stats against inferior competition. But without a Heisman-caliber QB, have serious misgivings about the ability of this offense to beat truly good teams.
Barn fans would say that the reason for this was Chiz tampering with his genius and also why gus left.

I disagree with much of that.

I think chiz did hamstring the O (to try and protect the D) but I also feel that the conference DC's had caught up as well.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Chris Todd did well in 2009. However, the SEC hadn't experienced that Gus offense. It wasn't the one he showed while at Arkansas. Cam did well in 2010 because he's unreal. 2011 didn't work as well because the OL was young (sidenote - was this year and will be next) and SEC coaches were catching on to Gus.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Chris Todd did well in 2009. However, the SEC hadn't experienced that Gus offense. It wasn't the one he showed while at Arkansas. Cam did well in 2010 because he's unreal. 2011 didn't work as well because the OL was young (sidenote - was this year and will be next) and SEC coaches were catching on to Gus.

Two things undid Gus in 2011. Auburn whiffed on its QB recruits, and Chizik meddled.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
Even with Scam, GM's offense, and a SR loaded team, the barn had a LOT of luck to win the bcs.
3pt lucky saves against KY and MS ST, an OT win vs Clemson where the receiver dropped a perfect pass that hit him in the gut, a win at SC when SS and Garcia had their worst game of the year/career, and a 3point last play field goal against OR.

The barn will be a 7-8 win team with 9-10 wins occasionally.
SNASS

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.