Question: Saban: We're not running away from Teo

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Question: Did Saban actually say we are not going to run away from teo? Just wondering because he normally doesn't refer to players on the team we are playing by name through the media

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Question: Did Saban actually say we are not going to run away from teo? Just wondering because he normally doesn't refer to players on the team we are playing by name through the media
Somebody asked the question and he said you can't scheme around him because he is good at the POC and moving side to side. It got turned into "running away" by the bravado seeking journalists.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
FriendlyIrish has by and larged lived up to his tag and has been a worthwhile poster on here. I get the feeling that this guy and that dulac character have been goading for a flame war since they got here. I may be characterizing their posts more than they are intending...

I find it ridiculous that we let that go on here when IrishEnvy.com won't even let me validate my account before deleting it...and I'm certainly not the type to walk into somebody's house and try to start a fight.
I've suspended his account until he gets back to me. I've been busy with family, so I'll take a closer look at dulac's posting...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Somebody asked the question and he said you can't scheme around him because he is good at the POC and moving side to side. It got turned into "running away" by the bravado seeking journalists.
They're grasping for every hook they can get. Anytime you have a MLB who's mobile side to side, you double him and run right at him. That's no headline, except for the ignorant writers/readers...

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
You know your posts are just bragging, bordering on smack, and I'm getting tired of it, since we don't allow it. IF you have anything more intelligent than describing your guys ripping off the jerseys covering their Superman costumes, then post it. However, if this is the best you can do, stop, or I'll stop you...
Well said Earle. They are just trying to bait everyone into stirring the pot. Pretty transparent now.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Te'o is such a threat because he is hard to get a body on because their DL is good at eating space. You'd rather try to get a guard on him than run laterally and let him move side-to-side, but Nix makes it hard to get up on him. Their offense has been a liability that has been a struggle to get across the finish line for them, but there is no smoke and mirrors on their defense. They look a lot like us: they have the right kind of personnel to run a 3-4 and make you pass effectively to win. Their LB corp is basically like our own: one star (Mosley and Te'o) and a bunch of role guys (at this juncture of their careers). Their secondary has been the point of concern for each fanbase.

Personally, I think Te'o gets too much credit because their down linemen are really the stars of this defense. Te'o on his own would just be a guy getting a lot of tackles...with their linemen clogging things up, he's allowed to take risks and come through clean to the ball carrier. The story of the game will be how we handle their linemen. If we can free up an interior guy to get a hat on Te'o, we will move the ball. If their linemen don't let guys get free to the second level...we're in for one of those close games where their offense has pulled a rabbit out of their hat in the fourth quarter.

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world
"I mean, is there any really doubt Golson can play as well as "Johnny Football"????"

Just saw this on one of their threads, had to laugh at this one. Im just wondering is there anyone on their team that shouldn't have won the Heisman?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, except the game Manziel had against us was his statistical norm (well, ~40 yards off his norm). I would say there is plenty of doubt he can play as well as Manziel because his best games were about as good as Manziel's worst. It's one thing to say that Golson has some of the same attributes as Manziel...it's a completely different thing to say you think he can put up a similar performance. He's got the physical tools to do it but I mean come on...lets look at the body of work.

10Bama54

1st Team
Sep 16, 2006
rgw, you have a lot of info about ND. Have you seen some of their games? I haven't got to watch any this year and they don't seem to replay any of their games, but the SECCG has been played almost every week. I wish they would replay some of ND's games from this year.

Ruffian

Oct 21, 2012
Nashville
rgw, you have a lot of info about ND. Have you seen some of their games? I haven't got to watch any this year and they don't seem to replay any of their games, but the SECCG has been played almost every week. I wish they would replay some of ND's games from this year.
You'll get your wish as NBC is re-airing all of Notre Dame's games on New Year's day.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I've watched a few of their games in season and a few more that I found streaming on the net. They're great defensively...it's like watching someone emulate us right down to the personnel types. Te'o reminds me a lot of McClain. Nix, frankly, is probably a better guy at affecting the pocket than any of our NT but he's pretty similar to Chapman...strong as an ox. Tuitt is a 3-4 end that can rush like Dareus. Their WDE, Moore, is much like guys who we've had at that position: dirty work guy like Deaderick or Jesse Williams last year. Shembo shows flashes of being a quality rush OLB for them but he hasn't put it together yet...kinda like Hubbard.

Offensively, they're a spread-to-run offense. They like to get you stretched horizontally with WR screens and perimeter runs so they can go back to into the middle later. They've been inconsistent with stretching a defense vertically but they use Efiert on the perimeter for fade type stuff where he can body defenders.

10Bama54

1st Team
Sep 16, 2006
Just about as soon as I posted this, I found out there are some games on tonight. On CSS they are replaying the ND vs Michigan game right now and at 8:00 Central and 9:00 Eastern they are showing ND vs Stanford. I just want to see what we are up against.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Just about as soon as I posted this, I found out there are some games on tonight. On CSS they are replaying the ND vs Michigan game right now and at 8:00 Central and 9:00 Eastern they are showing ND vs Stanford. I just want to see what we are up against.
ND-Stanford is a good watch because they share some similarities to us. Stanford is 3-4 like us, but they use some differing front assignments (they 1-gap their down linemen).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
"I mean, is there any really doubt Golson can play as well as "Johnny Football"????"

Just saw this on one of their threads, had to laugh at this one. Im just wondering is there anyone on their team that shouldn't have won the Heisman?
The Heisman Committee didn't seem to notice Golson's play... :D The first raft of their fans seemed to be pretty decent. Now, we seem to be getting the chest thumpers...

Last edited:

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
The best way to defend Alabama's offense is to fake a blitz to entice AJ to audible out of a run and into a quick hitting pass play that is expecting single coverage. I expect this to be ND's primary defensive strategy.

Fortunately, AJ didn't fall for that much against UGA and attacked the primary point of attack instead. I think that the imperative instilled in AJ to run right at Jarvis Jones overrode the tendency to change the play depending on the number of defenders in the box.

Hopefully, the same will with the case with ND.

Last edited:

Zedman

Nov 29, 2012
Actually ND lost to Stan, they just didnt get the L on record. I think they had replacement refs that game.
What do you mean that ND lost to Stanford? I just don't get this argument. Once again - to state the situation - even if you grant that Stephon Taylor got across the goal line on 3rd or 4th down - that would have made the score 20-19. Stanford still had to the kick the extra point in a torrential downpour. If they are successful with the PAT it's 20-20 and the game goes into another overtime. How does this equate to a loss?

Zedman

Nov 29, 2012
I've watched a few of their games in season and a few more that I found streaming on the net. They're great defensively...it's like watching someone emulate us right down to the personnel types. Te'o reminds me a lot of McClain. Nix, frankly, is probably a better guy at affecting the pocket than any of our NT but he's pretty similar to Chapman...strong as an ox. Tuitt is a 3-4 end that can rush like Dareus. Their WDE, Moore, is much like guys who we've had at that position: dirty work guy like Deaderick or Jesse Williams last year. Shembo shows flashes of being a quality rush OLB for them but he hasn't put it together yet...kinda like Hubbard.
I thnk rgw has some excellent analysis on ND's defense. In particular, the OLBs have made some excellent progress this year. Danny Spond has developed into a very good OLB that can play containment, but has also been very effective in coverage. I think he is one of the keys to the defense this year and to the BCS title game. Typically ND turns Shembo loose on the other side on passing downs as a rush OLB. Another strength of the ND defense is the depth. Throughout the game, ND will also play Khona Schwenke at NT (not as good as Nix - but still effective) and Ishaq Williams and Sheldon Day as rush ends. Tony Springmann at 6-7 300lbs has also improved greatly this year. So far this year, ND has been able to wear down opponents and survive close games based on their depth and their conditioning.

ND will rarely blitz Teo or Fox from their ILB positions. They do bring them on occassion as in the OU game - only one blitz by Teo that resulted in a sack. They will try to funnel the runs up the middle. Pitt exposed a weakness on the edge for ND. Graham gained most of his yards when he was able to bounce outside and Spond and Shembo lost containment.

Clearly, Alabama will be THE toughest offensive line that ND has faced all year. It will be a good matchup of strength on strength. I expect an epic battle between Barrett Jones and Louis Nix. If Nix and Tuitt and Kapron Lewis-Moore can occupy more than one offensive lineman each - then Te'o could have a big day. If Alabama's outstanding O line can get to the second level and hit Te'o and Fox - it will be a LONG day for the Irish.

Thanks again, rgw for the analysis and commentary.

Good luck in the upcoming game!

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.