A&M 33 Commits, UGA 30...I thought the limit was 25?

TideFactor

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 26, 2009
Can anyone explain how A&M and UGA are going significantly over the SEC's self-imposed scholarship limit of 25 players annually?

Thanks, RTR!

narddogg81

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2012
uga only signed like 19 last year, so i think they can count at least 6 spots to the next class if those kids are EEs. dont know about a&m, but im guessing a similar situation.

narddogg81

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2012
a&m also only signed 19 in 2012 cycle, dont know how they are going to justify more than 31, unless they have some guys committed who they know cant qualify. they still seem to be recruiting people.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
a&m also only signed 19 in 2012 cycle, dont know how they are going to justify more than 31, unless they have some guys committed who they know cant qualify. they still seem to be recruiting people.
They should have room because they have a big senior class and a couple of possible early declarations. They should be able to back count some early enrollees and have room for the rest.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
UGA will have the room because of the number they have arrested. The Phulmer Cup has been renamed the Richt Cup.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
Much like our laws congress passes, just because it reads one way doesn't mean it has to work like that.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
Remember just becasue they signed 19 each last year does not mean all 19 counted towards the 2012 class. Some of those could have backcounted towards 2011. Meaning they very well could have room for more than 6 over this year. The only question really is how many can be EEs. You can only backcount if there is room to be an EE if I remember correctly with the new rule.

tidefaninvr

3rd Team
Sep 15, 2007
It is still always funny to me that when Saban and Bama have so many recruits lined up to sign, other fan bases scream "CHEAT, CHEAT, CHEAT" even though we have the same situation and rules to go by that they do. However, when their coaches do it, it is just the way it is and justifiable.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Depending on how the newer mid-year exemption rule is applied , there's the possibility of more hope than actual openings . We'll see .

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Personally I'm glad some SEC teams are pushing the limits of this stupid rule. If a Big 10 team, with their silly rule can sign 30 in a class why on earth can't SEC teams?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Personally I'm glad some SEC teams are pushing the limits of this stupid rule. If a Big 10 team, with their silly rule can sign 30 in a class why on earth can't SEC teams?
Because the SEC should be more charitable and handicap themselves so the field can catch up!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That's a lot of commits from both school and they still aren't in the top 5. I wonder what would happen if Bama did this. Has Saban ever gone 30+?
According to Rivals, the 2008 class had 32 signees. However, Devonta Bolton, Destin Hood, Melvin Ray, and Brandon Lewis did not go straight to campus. Wes Neighbors took the Bryant Scholarship IIRC.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
According to Rivals, the 2008 class had 32 signees. However, Devonta Bolton, Destin Hood, Melvin Ray, and Brandon Lewis did not go straight to campus. Wes Neighbors took the Bryant Scholarship IIRC.
That year was a perfect example of the whole propaganda machine in full swing. Yes, 32 were signed, but you eliminate a few right off the bat as you mentioned. I don't know how many were EEs, but the class becomes basically 27 when you get down to it.

If you want to know what they're trying to do look no further than 3 star commitments that year: Brad Smelley, Marcel Dareus, Terrance Cody, etc... You apply this 25 rule and some of those guys have to go to another college, and in the very least don't have nearly as good a college career. They're just trying to spread the wealth around a little...

rammerjammer69

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2009
Yeah predictably Carvell at the ajc finds a way to slam Saban as the serial offender in oversigning, but Richt signing 33 or whatever this year is just using the rules to his advantage? It's amazing the lengths uga homers will go to glorify richt and cover up his incompetence only signing 17 the last couple years. Never ceases to amaze me, but hey it's great for us. Hopefully he'll get another extension.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.