ATTN MEDIA, re: Christion Jones "fumble" on the punt return

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I have read article after article, heard or watched multiple expert interviews, and during the live telecast...are you guys even paying attention? The official's ruling was that the returner was impeded while trying to field the ball. An example would be being as close as being at the guy's elbow, which the ND player was. It does not have to be contact to the player, just being in close will draw the flag. Can you expert members of the media grasp that and quit making yourself look completely ignorant?

Sorry TideFans, had to get that off my chest...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We could have given them the ball on our five yard line and I don't think it would have mattered. Their defense was completely over matched by our entire offense. All we would have had to do was stop their offense one time and the game would have been over at that point. Their defense was simply no match for our offense.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Both teams had catches that were called out-of-bounds and were debatable, so that's a wash. The "fumbled" punt is what seems to be drawing the disdain of the media, and it's making them looking stupid.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
personally thought it was a bad call. yes it CAN be called legally but there's a ton of them all year that don't get whistled. it didn't change anything at all other than being 28-3 HT instead of 28-0

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I'm with buzzard, we could have let them scoop and score on that play and guess what? We STILL would have smoked them. Just means it's 35-7 in the 3rd instead of zip.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
personally thought it was a bad call. yes it CAN be called legally but there's a ton of them all year that don't get whistled. it didn't change anything at all other than being 28-3 HT instead of 28-0
No, I think you've got it all wrong. That one call caused Notre Dame's entire defense to fail the rest of the game. That one call hindered ND's offense to get anything going. That one call is what made Manta ray or whatever his name is have his worst performance of his collegiate career. I don't think you realize how devastating that one call was. You might need to check yourself......hoss.

:wink:

I have read article after article, heard or watched multiple expert interviews, and during the live telecast...are you guys even paying attention? The official's ruling was that the returner was impeded while trying to field the ball. An example would be being as close as being at the guy's elbow, which the ND player was. It does not have to be contact to the player, just being in close will draw the flag. Can you expert members of the media grasp that and quit making yourself look completely ignorant?

Sorry TideFans, had to get that off my chest...
You're right, it was a call like this in the Michigan game. No contact has to be made. I think it was a new rule this year.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

We had the same flag on jones before. I think the LSU game, the guy didn't touch him, but he came within that "range" of interfering. It was a good call, they even said on the TV that he didn't have to touch him.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Speaking of ignorant, I overheard a barner complaining of "all the blown calls" to a guy who was having none of it. It was hilarious.
An Auburn friend of mine said the same thing on FB last night. I replied, "Red Elephant Club strikes again." He backed off.

badpenny

Oct 1, 2008
What I recall most clearly was that Musburger invited their expert official to interpret the call. He stated that the rule did not require the defender to touch the returner for interference to be called. Musburger essentially dismissed the expert by saying that was his "opinion". Well, gee Mushy, that's why ESPN hired him. When is ESPN going to get rid of this idiot?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
What I recall most clearly was that Musburger invited their expert official to interpret the call. He stated that the rule did not require the defender to touch the returner for interference to be called. Musburger essentially dismissed the expert by saying that was his "opinion". Well, gee Mushy, that's why ESPN hired him. When is ESPN going to get rid of this idiot?
I was amazed that they had Rogers Redding on hand at all to destroy their misinformed opinions.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I thought part of the ruling of a fair catch was allowing the player to catch the ball until the ball hit the ground. In other words, if a player calls for a fair catch and bobbles the ball into the air, that he still has to be given a chance to catch the ball before it hits the ground. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I thought maybe thats why it was called. CJ was still trying to catch the ball before it hit the ground. As soon as he didnt catch it cleanly they nailed him. Like I said, maybe Im wrong but I thought I remember hearing this part of the ruling at one time or another.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Did the referee identify the ND player? There was the gunner Belue was blocking and another ND player. Wonder if the second guy was the guilty party. He interfered with Jones trying to regain the bobble.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Did the referee identify the ND player? There was the gunner Belue was blocking and another ND player. Wonder if the second guy was the guilty party. He interfered with Jones trying to regain the bobble.
Thats why I thought it was called. I think CJ had a right to the ball until it hit the ground.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
Can you cite an example? Especially one where it resulted in a turnover as was ignored?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jdyRx-7lrs

rainey's from last year vs barn

i know i'd have been livid if we got a kick catch interference called like that. of course any ND fan that would say this is the reason they lost is oblivious to reality but just didn't like the call is all. as i mentioned though it is allowed to be called to the letter of the law but i really don't see how the ND player affected Jones' ability to catch the ball.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I think it could have gone either way, since it appeared that the ND player may have been pushed into him--but regardless it would not have changed the outcome of the game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.