The Old "Water Bucket" Play: Still Legal?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Don't know what made me think of this old play...maybe it was the thread about new twist for the Georgia game.

Back in the 80's the "Water Bucket" play was a popular trick play. A wide receiver would trot to the sideline, as if he were coming out of the game, but instead he'd stop at the very edge of the playing field on sides. When the play was snapped he'd generally be wide open streaking down the sideline.

I haven't seen this tried at any level in the last few years. I assume it wouldn't work beyond the high school level (where I saw it used) anyway now days, but I was wondering if this play is still legal?

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Watched my alma mater high school get beat in a crucial game in the early 90s. Water bucket play. On the last play of the game for the win. Lots of angry coaches, fans, and players.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Haven't seen the Fumblerooski in a long time either, I guess it's probably against the rules now too.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I always referred to the waterbucket play as the one on an extra point where the snapper, holder and kicker lined up as normal and everyone else went over to the side and lined up. I've never been in a game that anything other than the kick was run out of this, but we did see a team we were playing run it on film. Therefore, we had to practice against it all week.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
I always referred to the waterbucket play as the one on an extra point where the snapper, holder and kicker lined up as normal and everyone else went over to the side and lined up. I've never been in a game that anything other than the kick was run out of this, but we did see a team we were playing run it on film. Therefore, we had to practice against it all week.
I think they call that the 'swinging gate.' I could be wrong.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I know of schools that run that PAT formation. One team didn't correctly line up. Rather than lining up with the rest of the team, all 11 lined up in FG block. The holder took the snap and immediately threw it to someone for a 2 point conversion.

Didn't A&M run a gimmicky play against us? Still think their OL wasn't set when the ball was snapped.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Rules stating everyone must be inside the nine yard marks at some point after the "ready for play."
NCAA Rulebook

Offensive Team Requirements—Prior to the Snap
ARTICLE 3. Each of the following (a-d) is a dead-ball foul. Officials should
blow the whistle and not allow the play to continue. After the ball is ready for
play and before it is snapped:
a. Snapper. The snapper (Rule 2-27-8):
1. May not move to a different position nor have any part of his body
beyond the neutral zone;
2. May not lift the ball, move it beyond the neutral zone or simulate the
start of a play;
3. May take his hand(s) off the ball, but only if this does not simulate the
start of a play.
b. Nine-Yard Marks.
1. Each Team A substitute must have been between the nine-yard marks.
Team A players who participated in the previous down must have been
between the nine-yard marks after the previous down and before the next
snap (A.R. 3-3-4-I).
2. All Team A players must have been between the nine-yard marks after a
charged team timeout, an injury timeout, a media timeout or the end of
a period.
Here is the specific rule.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
But it also says team A players who participated in the previous play must be between the 9's between the end of the play and the next snap? Maybe they walk in and out of it on the way back to the LOS. I will make a point to watch for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
But it also says team A players who participated in the previous play must be between the 9's between the end of the play and the next snap? Maybe they walk in and out of it on the way back to the LOS. I will make a point to watch for that.
Right. I wasn't reading carefully enough. By rule, they should not be able to stay by the sideline.

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world
Which game was it that we had a rec'vr lined up wide open and he kept waving for (Brody Croyle?) to throw him the ball before the d noticed he was all alone?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.