Judge rules NCAA athletes can pursue TV Money

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...ncaa-athletes-legally-pursue-television-money

In dismissing a motion by the NCAA to prevent football and men's basketball players from legally pursuing a cut of live broadcast revenues, a federal court judge Tuesday raised the stakes for the governing body of college sports as it defends its economic model.Judge Claudia Wilken issued her ruling Tuesday, rejecting the NCAA's motion that players in the antitrust suit led by former UCLA star Ed O'Bannon should be precluded from advancing their lawsuit on procedural grounds.

The NCAA had objected to the players amending their lawsuit last year to claim a share of all television game revenues, not just those from rebroadcasts.
"Now the (NCAA and its co-defendants) are facing potential liability that's based on the billions of dollars in revenue instead of tens or hundreds of millions," said Michael Hausfeld, interim lead counsel for the plaintiffs. "It's a more accurate context for what the players deserve."

If I was a former NCAA athlete who brought his school big dollars, I would be ticked right about now!!!! :mad:

But this has been long overdue!

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Now that's a game changer of a ruling. We're getting closer to the Wild, Wild, West for athletics again.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
This could be a multi-billion dollar problem for the NCAA. Never say anything "can't happen" once it reaches the court system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
So do we make the girls pay to play their sports since they don't make any money?
Based on this ruling, something would have to change because shared football revenue would mean less to support other sports programs.

This has the potential to change college sports as we know it.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
So do we make the girls pay to play their sports since they don't make any money?
That will be the ultimate problem. The courts will continue to protect the ladies with Title IX, but they will also insist that these guys can get paid. The courts just make rulings without having any clue how practical or realistic those rulings may be. There are many rulings in the field of education alone that are jaw-droppingly void of any common sense whatsoever.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I dont understand why its so complicated... Its not but college athletics know they have a golden goose with the current setup. The national LOI needs to be amended such that a signee grants the school and the NCAA an exclusive right to use his likeness while he is a student. PERIOD. Once that timeframe ends - he must be compensated for any further use of his likeness. Its silly to recommend that a trust account be held for the student's royalties that accrue while he is a student. That whole situation is just ripe for some entity to siphon most of the funds through fees for managing the trusts leaving the student-athlete no ability to effect management of those funds. Just split the positions. Let them make what the can make while he is a student. This could work and make it affordable for schools - actually it is the right thing to do - as it is right now there is really an unfair bargaining position between the signee and the school/NCAA. But put me in the group that doesnt think we ought to pay current student-athletes - you cant balance compliance with Title IX and do that too. Also these kids have no idea of the value they are getting towards their future.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
I dont understand why its so complicated... Its not but college athletics know they have a golden goose with the current setup. The national LOI needs to be amended such that a signee grants the school and the NCAA an exclusive right to use his likeness while he is a student. PERIOD. Once that timeframe ends - he must be compensated for any further use of his likeness. Its silly to recommend that a trust account be held for the student's royalties that accrue while he is a student. That whole situation is just ripe for some entity to siphon most of the funds through fees for managing the trusts leaving the student-athlete no ability to effect management of those funds. Just split the positions. Let them make what the can make while he is a student. This could work and make it affordable for schools - actually it is the right thing to do - as it is right now there is really an unfair bargaining position between the signee and the school/NCAA. But put me in the group that doesnt think we ought to pay current student-athletes - you cant balance compliance with Title IX and do that too. Also these kids have no idea of the value they are getting towards their future.
2 words-Tyrone Prothro

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180
So the following is the average cost per year for a college education:

In its most recent survey of college pricing, a "moderate" college budget for an in-state public college for the 2012–2013 academic year averaged $22,261. A moderate budget at a private college averaged $43,289.

Are not the athletes being compensated adequately already?

Maybe the ones who make it to the PROS owe the schools compensation from the enormous salaries that are paid these days.
They are being trained in their professions as they play are they not?

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
But this has been long overdue!
Really? If their case succeeds we can say goodbye to most male non-revenue sports at the collegiate level. This revenue doesn’t end up in the bank account of some fat cat somewhere. Most of the money ends up back at the member institutions to spend in their athletic departments. If a big chunk gets taken out the schools will have to make do with less. Women’s sports can’t be cut due to Title IX. This means men’s sports, except basketball and football, will be cut.

Also, I don’t necessarily agree that college athletes aren’t paid. The value of an athletic scholarship, if you are basing it on out of state tuition, and include room and board, is somewhere between $50,000 and $100,000 per year. That’s not too shabby. While AJ McCarron is certainly worth more than that, what about a fourth-string lineman that never gets past the practice squad? Is $75,000 per year a decent salary?

If this case succeeds there will be MAJOR repercussions, most of them not good.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
This was just a procedural ruling. Didn't really have anything to do with the substance of the paying players issue.

I still don't give that much of a shot at winning.

I think the ESPN article is intentionally misleading as to its significance. The truth wouldn't generate many clicks.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
This is why I refuse to buy any more ncaa ea college sports video games. I haven't bought one of these games in at least 5 years now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This was just a procedural ruling. Didn't really have anything to do with the substance of the paying players issue.

I still don't give that much of a shot at winning.

I think the ESPN article is intentionally misleading as to its significance. The truth wouldn't generate many clicks.
Agree...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yes. Basically this ruling from the judge simply allows the argument for pay to be brought. NCAA brought a motion regarding their procedure and the judge said in a sense, "we don't care about your rules, argue the merits of it."

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
You only think recruiting was tough. Pass this and watch what happens. Come to school A, all of our games are on NBC. If you go to school B, they only get about 2 nationwide games/year....you can make 7x the money signing with us.....etc

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.