Link: Cal coach Jeff Tedford will not return next season

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
This guy is a good coach. He should get a hard look from Kentucky. I think his system and personality would be a good fit there. He has turned out some good QBs in his time there.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Yup..Up until this year..Coach Richt was their poster boy..
I've got a couple of UGA friends who still want Richt gone. He's the Bob Stoops of the SEC, just good enough to not get fired. If he couldn't win it all with AJ Green, Stafford & Moreno, he never will.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Exactly. Unbelievable how much talent can come out of these schools sometimes without the teams having any real success.
There has been a lot of talent, although I cannot name a single offensive lineman who played at Cal under Tedford.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Poor facilities/support from the administration.
Didn't they just spend over $300 million on their football stadium/athletic facilities according to last Sunday's "60 Minutes". Michigan spent a little over $200 million.

What did California get for $300+ million?

Didn't they just spend over $300 million on their football stadium/athletic facilities according to last Sunday's "60 Minutes". Michigan spent a little over $200 million.

Well, poor support in the past. I forgot they did upgrade their stadium, but as a whole, the entire University of California system (This includes UCLA) is somewhat financially strapped.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
I just saw this Tweet from Stewart Mandel that verifies what you say..

Cal AD Sandy Barbour to season ticket holders: "the team’s continuing decline in academic performance is of great concern." Pac-12 worst GSR
I didn't realize that. In that case, Auburn would be a great fit for him! :biggrin:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I know his name gets thrown out there for every opening, but is there any reason that Cal wouldn't go after Petersen?

He's from the area. His alma mater is an hour away and his hometown is two hours away. He recruits California, so he probably knows a lot of the HS coaches. There are good hospitals in the area. Boise seems to have cooled down. California is, of course, loaded with talent and the university has new facilities. The bar is much lower than at most schools who have come after Petersen, but the potential is there.

I don't know, this just seems like it could be the job that could persuade Peterson to finally make the jump.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

Well, yes. But that project should've been done 3+ years ago. The school had to deal with the hippies (legit hippies) that protested enough to slow down the renovations of the stadium. The stadium sits on a major fault line, so some retrofitting needed to be done.

It's been my experience that Tedford is probably as good as as they're gonna get. They've always done better in basketball (or at least shown more support) and the non-revenue sports. Unlike UCLA, Cal gets that and so football kind of takes a back seat to the other sports.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I know his name gets thrown out there for every opening, but is there any reason that Cal wouldn't go after Petersen?

He's from the area. His alma mater is an hour away and his hometown is two hours away. He recruits California, so he probably knows a lot of the HS coaches. There are good hospitals in the area. Boise seems to have cooled down. California is, of course, loaded with talent and the university has new facilities. The bar is much lower than at most schools who have come after Petersen, but the potential is there.

I don't know, this just seems like it could be the job that could persuade Peterson to finally make the jump.
There are a lot of good points here, and I agree that if Petersen ever makes the jump it will be for a west coast school.

It's interesting to me that the Petersen talk has really cooled this season in spite of several prime openings. You're not hearing his name at Tennessee or Arkansas. I wonder how much of it is Boise dropping a game early to a very mediocre Michigan State team, and how much of it is just Petersen continually rebuffing big-time offers. I also wonder if teams aren't starting to be a little wary of Boise products, given that Dan Hawkins, Dirk Koetter and Houston Nutt have all imploded to varying degrees at the BCS level.

I could see him ending up at a relatively low-pressure BCS gig on the west coast, but that almost seems like an even swap for Boise.

Rumblings yesterday indicated Cal is a job Petersen would consider if offered.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.