39 Years Ago Notre Dame and Alabama played for it All

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
Re: 40 Years Ago Notre Dame and Alabama played for it All

From "Bama Hammer":

"With Richard Todd at QB, Moore lined up the Tide in a full house wishbone formation, with the tight end and split end to the right of the formation. Todd took the snap, and turned and pitched the ball to left halfback Mike Stock on the Alabama version of the student body sweep made famous by the University of Southern California. The play call was “Right,End Over, 68 throwback.” As Stock moved right with the pitch, Todd circled out and moved down the left sideline, alone. Stock pulled up and threw a perfect strike to Todd, who walked into the end zone untouched. It was the best play call I’ve ever seen.

Alabama was ahead 23-21, with the extra point, it would be 24-21. However, Alabama’s Bill Davis missed the extra point. To this day I can remember Guy Moman yelling “Oh No! He MISSED it!”. It would come back to haunt us.

Notre Dame took the ball and drove down the field and kicked a field goal to go ahead 24-23 with 4:26 left in the game. Alabama took the ball and drove to midfield where they took a sack and were forced to punt on 4th and 20. Alabama punter Greg Gant boomed a 69 yard punt, pinning Notre Dame back to the Notre Dame 2-yard line. But wait, there was a flag. Notre Dame was flagged for roughing the kicker, a fifteen yard penalty. The Bama fans were thrilled to get the ball back. However, it would be 4th and 5 from midfield, so Coach Bryant decided to decline the penalty and take the play, pinning Notre Dame back and let our defense make a play. Two runs into the Alabama line gained less than two yards. His strategy was looking terrific. On 3rd and 8, Notre Dame lined up in a two tight end running formation. One of the tight ends was Dave Casper, future Oakland Raider Pro Bowl Tight End. Coach Parseghian decided to try to win the game. Quarterback Tom Clemens executed a play action pass and dropped back in his own end zone. Alabama defensive end M

ike Raines just missed sacking Clemens, who threw a perfect strike to Notre Dame receiver Robin Weber for a 36 yard gain. Notre Dame was able to run out the clock to win the game 24-23."

Who knows what would have happened if Bryant had taken the Notre Dame penalty and possession with 4th and 5 at midfield.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL

Also I'm included in that innumerable group. Last I heard (last year) he was living the the good life on Marco Island Florida, apparently able to look at football...
Marco Island is a cool place (in-laws used to live there). Read the "Killing Mr. Watson" trilogy by Peter Matthiessen for a good story and interesting historical perspective of the area.

Last edited:

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL

I was 19 and a newlywed living in a small house . When we lost , I threw one of our two bar stools against the wall and it busted to pieces . We ate at the counter as we had no table , so I had to eat standing up for several weeks until we could afford to buy another stool . rtr...

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Two other murderous memories from that game.

1. Gary Rutledge had just led ys on a 90-yard drive in the second half ndwe had take te lead, just cutting Notre Dame up, and the coach puts in Richard, who immediately fumbled. Notre Dame scored on the next play. I remember reading something later that Jeff Rutledge was watching, at home I think, and at that moment vowed never to play at Alabama. Good thing he changed his mind.

2. After the missed PAT, and ND with the ball, Clemmons threw an end-over-ender that Casper went up and got, while surrounded by a scrum of our defenders. Any one of them should have knocked the ball down.

Last edited:

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

That Sugar Bowl loss to ND and the '72 Iron Bowl remain No. 1 and 2 as the most painful memories for me.

Unfortunately, if we get to the big dance against ND, that pass to Robin Weber will be seen several times in the hype campaign before. A beat down won't erase that memory, but it can help...

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)

I was at the 73 game as a 14-yr-old. The only game I ever got to watch w/ my Dad, who died suddenly the next year. Remember it very clearly. Of course, I had hated Notre Dame since 1966, so I already had that correct perspective going for me...:biggrin2:

Despite the game's outcome, it's one of my fave games ever for two reasons. (1) see above; only game w/ Dad, a huge Bama fan. (2) Got to shake hands w/ Coach Bryant shortly afterward. I was/am short, so he seemed gigantic. When I grew up & got to Bama as a student, he still did. Now that I'm, er, not young any more, he still does.

Also, I second Earle's commentary & feelings about Ara P.'s commenting. Like Holtz, "Error" became a much better coach in his mind the longer he was away from actual coaching...As Gollum said, "Thief! We hates him forever!" ;)

Now for Auburn's comeuppance for 72...

mhiggy45

3rd Team
Sep 2, 2010
daytona bch

i was 10 yrs old and cried myself to sleep that night...my parents were at the game and me and my brother were with a sitter.....I remember the next morning waking up with swollen eyes to a knock on the door. It was a miserable rainy day in B'ham and the milkman had come to the door to break the news that he had just hit and killed my springer spaniel "Ashby". the river of tears started all over again for most of that day. I loved that dog...worst weekend of my entire life!!!!!!

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Mhiggy, a day in hell for sure. Sorry you had to go through it.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

I was 19 and a newlywed living in a small house . When we lost , I threw one of our two bar stools against the wall and it busted to pieces . We ate at the counter as we had no table , so I had to eat standing up for several weeks until we could afford to buy another stool . rtr...
Have to admit to doing something much similar......at a buddy's house. He was not amused.

"Hey, man......it's just a football game, man."

Hillbilly, from Missour-ah. Never went to college. No, he didn't get it.

Also messed up my wrist, pretty good, when I put it through the arm of the chair. Chair flipped over, tore up, and I was looking up at the ceiling.

Youth is wasted on the young.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Of course, I believe UGA also played Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl for their only national title in 1981 or 82. If Notre Dame beats USC, they will get a grudge match for the title no matter who wins between UGA and us. That is, of course, assuming both UGA and Bama win their rivalry games this weekend. I hope we crush Auburn and leave no doubt before rolling into the Georgia Dome.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.