Who would you guys like to see the SEC add to fill out a 16 team conference?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I have to assume that the Big 10 is completely off limits. Otherwise, Illinois and Indiana have to be considered. Out of the easy to get additions, well most of them would not be the best additions (because after all if they're easy to get it might mean the strongest players don't want them). Also, while I think all things considered, the SEC got the best fits from the Big 12, I'd have to think the move to sure up the Big 12 means the SEC won't be hunting their programs anytime soon.

So, we're left with a handful of tough additions that would clearly better the SEC. If the SEC moves to 16, and doesn't get at least one of these programs I think the move to 16 would be linear at best.

1: Notre Dame - Arguably the most prestigious program there is. They are not that impressive on the football field as of late, but that's not a bad thing at all. Some people seem to think bringing in a program to beat up SEC programs is a good thing, it's not. You want to better the conference, not upset the apple cart. The fact that Notre Dame would likely struggle would only make the SEC look better, and if they didn't struggle? Well, if Notre Dame is winning they're raking in money. I don't like them, a lot of people don't, but it's the level of interest (love or hate), that makes them important.

2: Virginia - They make good money, they're the flagship university in the state, they enjoy good support of their football team, and perhaps most importantly they're not all that good at football. You add them, you get a lot of revenue and once again, you don't mess anything up to do it. Most importantly, it's a high population state that's not loaded with FBS programs.

3: North Carolina - A lot of the same can be said for North Carolina. Very good attendance figures, but still an easy win. However, their basketball program is stellar. This is offset a bit by the number of programs in the state. It's easier for TV sets in the state to be distracted, especially during football season, so it makes them a bit less of a consideration than Virginia.

Those three are all unrealistic, but they're also the only three that I'd say would be a clear improvement.

Then you get some schools that could be decent additions:
1: NC State - The thing about NC State, is that they earn really well. Their basketball program is one of the top financially, their athletic program is in good shape financially, and their attendance is football is pretty good as well (right about where Miami is, not bad for a basketball school in a basketball state). They're not North Carolina, and if you're making a TV deal you can bet that would be brought up.

2: Virginia Tech - The latter part says a lot, Tech. They've risen under Beamer, but don't forget this was a school even the ACC didn't want. Almost all of their value is tied up in success as a football program. Not a given in the SEC, so they could end up being a Miss. State in a bigger state. Not a bad addition though, but they also carry a risk in that the SEC is already brutal in terms of strength of schedule. They really don't need more football powers.

3: Florida St. - A lot of the same regarding Tech. Now that Bowden is gone, they find themselves in trouble financially. They're also made a bit redundant by Florida. But, Florida is a huge state, so if you're going to have two, that's the place to do it.

Honestly, I'm not sure I can go beyond that in terms of any additions that I think could actually help the SEC at all. Virtually any other addition would likely lessen the share of money to go around, so I just can't see the point. There are plenty of programs I like, such as Clemson, Louisville and so on, but would they even be worth a pro-rated increase in SEC payout? I'm not so sure.

I said most of this in another topic, but the SEC needs to be patient. If they don't add the right programs, don't add any.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
North Carolina and Virginia. I doubt very seriously either would join, though. As I said in the earlier thread, that would be the grand slam scenario for the SEC.

Adding NC State or Virginia Tech falls closer to a double, but the states of North Carolina and Virginia ought to be the focus of any potential additions for the SEC.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
North Carolina and Virginia. I doubt very seriously either would join, though. As I said in the earlier thread, that would be the grand slam scenario for the SEC.

Adding NC State or Virginia Tech falls closer to a double, but the states of North Carolina and Virginia ought to be the focus of any potential additions for the SEC.
The institutions in those states are too tied together politically to break away. I'm not sure why people think they could just up and leave the ACC, unless it was disbanded.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think we can forget a school from a SEC state. That rules out FSU, Miami, Clemson, Ga Tech and Louisville.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The institutions in those states are too tied together politically to break away. I'm not sure why people think they could just up and leave the ACC, unless it was disbanded.
The question was "who would you like to see".

Oh, and $$$ is why they would break up. Not saying they will, but it is not iron clad that they never would.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The way the talk is going one would expect the ACC to be disbanded by September. Then again, we all though the Big 12 would be too...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm not sure who thinks that. Although, Duke can't be forced politically to stay. The point is, that's the direction the SEC needs to go. If they don't, they're not improving at all. This is also with the potential of the Big 12 adding FSU and Clemson in the background though, which could shake things up a bit. Anyway, it makes more sense to me to try for the more difficult addition that would make the conference better, than to make a bad addition because it's easy.

I think we can forget a school from a SEC state. That rules out FSU, Miami, Clemson, Ga Tech and Louisville.
We probably can. Honestly, there are no easy additions I can think of that would make financial sense. Either the SEC has to stay at 14, they make a dumb move, or something has to give. I'm not big on redundancy within a state anyway, how much do we think Miss St. actually earns on their own? Or, Vanderbilt?

Last edited:

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
The question was "who would you like to see".

Oh, and $$$ is why they would break up. Not saying they will, but it is not iron clad that they never would.
I don't want to see a 16 team conference. I didn't want Texas A&M or Missouri. In fact, I think things should be more like pre-1992. That being said, I know it's never going to happen and college football will continue to be ruined. As for my initial statement, Virginia and Virginia Tech are extremely tied together. VT wrestled for 50 years to make its may into the ACC. There's not enough money, relative to college football, to overcome those political wranglings in Virginia. I'm not entirely certain UNC and N.C. State are quite as tied, but I've been told it's similar.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
between their tepid interest in serious football and their unbelievable academic and social superiority-snobbery complex, i can't see UVA ever joining the SEC...ever.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't want to see a 16 team conference. I didn't want Texas A&M or Missouri. In fact, I think things should be more like pre-1992. That being said, I know it's never going to happen and college football will continue to be ruined. As for my initial statement, Virginia and Virginia Tech are extremely tied together. VT wrestled for 50 years to make its may into the ACC. There's not enough money, relative to college football, to overcome those political wranglings in Virginia. I'm not entirely certain UNC and N.C. State are quite as tied, but I've been told it's similar.
If those four teams are so tied together because of state politics, they will be without a conference.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
No one at all. I see the value of Missouri and Texas A&M, and I agree that as things stand right now, only the states of North Carolina and Virginia make financial sense, but I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that we shouldn't make any changes at all unless it is to our benefit, PERIOD.

Even if things continue so far that there are 4 Super Conferences and the other three start racing toward 16 teams, the SEC would/could/should be bold enough to sit right here at 14 and thumb our noses at those other guys trying to play catch-up.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Again, it wasn't about do you want to see a 16 team conference. I'm with you... I'd rather go back to when it was 10 teams. I'd like to go back to having an SWC, a Big Ten that actually had 10 teams, Pac 10, and a strong band of Independents. But those days are long gone.

The case of the state of Virginia is interesting. They were in different conferences for many many years. The legislature got involved only because with the ACC raiding the Big East, it was thought that Virginia Tech would be left in a dead conference. So they pushed to have them included in the ACC. I don't think there was interest in having the 2 in the same league, just having both teams in big time leagues. Having Virginia Tech in the SEC would seem to be ok, since it would be a big time league. They could still play their annual game. Virginia never wanted Va Tech in the ACC anyway...

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
If those four teams are so tied together because of state politics, they will be without a conference.
Notre Dame, Virginia, and North Carolina are almost non starters, unless there are major shifts in the current architecture of collegiate sports...they all feel they're way too elite academically for the SEC, and are also more closely tied to round ball than football. Things can change, but I have serious doubts abot any of these.

I also think if Notre Dame joins a conference, the most likely is the Big10.

I think the most likely candidates are Virginia Tech and NC State...gievn what Ive read and heard. You never know, but those are the ones that I think would be most likely...IMO.

Texas and Texas A&M were thought to be closely tied also, but that didnt keep TAMU from moving over...

and I may be in a minority here, burt I think that the addition of TAMU and Missouri was a great move by the SEC. I think Slive has done a great job keeping the SEC positioned during this period of time.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Notre Dame, Virginia, and North Carolina are almost non starters, unless there are major shifts in the current architecture of collegiate sports...they all feel they're way too elite academically for the SEC, and are also more closely tied to round ball than football. Things can change, but I have serious doubts abot any of these.
If North Carolina is scared to join the SEC because of its basketball, they need to look at Kentucky and Florida. Then again, maybe they won't want the competition in basketball or football...

I also think if Notre Dame joins a conference, the most likely is the Big10.
That's a no brainer unless the Big East picks apart the ACC.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
If further expansion is deemed to be in the best interests of the SEC, the SEC needs to add the states of NC and VA to a television package. Accordingly, top choices are:

1) UNC. They don't move unless the ACC implodes... which could happen. Even then, they have an internal donnybrook as they decide whether to petition the Big Ten or the SEC for admittance.

2) VaTech. Much larger school than UVA and with a large fan base that actually cares about sports. VaTech brings the DC market better than UVA. They will compete from Day 1. And thanks to Beamer's long tenure, they're too deep into big-time football to fall back to the 1960's years of VPI.

3) NCState. If UNC passes on the SEC, NCState won't. They're a credible "get" to bring in the state of NC. And as we are seeing with South Carolina-Clemson, SEC membership would be leveraged by NCState to make them the dominant fan-favorite football program in the state.

4) UVA. Adds the state of Virginia to the SEC footprint and gives the SEC a premier state school. They will be a good partner for Vandy and will help ensure that Florida, UGA, and TN (and VaTech...) dominate the SEC East.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If the SEC wants the DC market, why not go straight at DC and get Maryland? College Park is around 30 minutes from D.C.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.