Why are so many under the opinion that Coach Smart is itching to leave?

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I think that when the right opportunity presents itself, Smart will be ready. At the moment, he appears to enjoy his role and he's gaining invaluable mentorship from the best coach in college football. There are flaws with all of the openings at the moment:

• Auburn is possibly facing NCAA penalties and I also doubt that Smart wants to face Saban as the coach of his primary rival. It's also well documented that boosters exert undue influence over that program and that should be concerning to any candidate for that position.
  • Tennessee is in turmoil and shares a conference division with three rivals (Georgia, Florida, South Carolina) that are playing at a very high level along with an in-state rival (Vanderbilt) that is beginning to pick up steam. Tennessee gets decent talent most of the time and has a winning tradition over the years, but it seems to be falling further behind the remainder of the division. It doesn't sound like an award-winning situation for a first-time job.
  • Kentucky only cares about basketball... enough said.
  • Arkansas is another situation where turmoil seems to have a favored seat at the table. Houston Nutt had fans snooping through his phone records and then his replacement goes easy riding with his engaged (not to him) subordinate and mistress. This is probably the best situation of the four openings in the SEC, but it still has to face Bama and LSU on an annual basis and that's quite a hurdle to face.

While the Florida gig wasn't perhaps the complete ideal situation (having recruited years of spread option personnel) for a coach that believes in ball control offense, Muschamp had been somewhat frustrated at Texas after being named coach in waiting and then realizing that Mack Brown was not going to leave anytime soon. Florida is still in the hotbed of recruiting and Muschamp had to be confident that he could keep Florida at a competitive level primarily based on the availability of talent. Muschamp might have taken a lesser opportunity to get out of his hopeless situation at Texas.

There's no opportunity remotely comparable to Florida for Smart this year and since he seems to enjoy working with Saban, he's pursuing the correct path in biding his time. If Richt continues to underwhelm in big games and show non-chalance in his team discipline, the Georgia job might be available in the next couple of seasons.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Don't know much about Mickey Andrews but Foster and Smart don't belong in the same sentence. There are several reasons Foster is a long time assistant and I can't believe any of those reasons apply to Smart.
I would insert John Chavis for Bud Foster.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
Smart is a highly motivated, driven coach and a HC gig is simply the next step in his career. He's right now in the envious position of being able to wait for the right opportunity but you never know what tomorrow brings so when you're THE hot commodity, you've gotta listen.

the days of bud foster and tom bradley being happy playing 2nd fiddle while NEVER giving a HC job a shot are gone. What's great about the position that Smart's in is that even if he goes to a HC job and fails he's still very young and a great defensive mind and will certainly pick up a big time DC job in minutes.

Personally I hope he stays and is either "coach in waiting" or gets his HC job at the alma mater to the East. I'd hate to see him leave for a 2nd tier SEC gig like the Viles or, even worse, a non-AQ school like Colorado State

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
We think alike. I would have been absolutely shocked if he took this job. It just felt all wrong. I really believe he is very happy as the DC at a storied program in dynasty mode and it will take a really, really good offer in the next 4 years to move him out of it.

I love having him as the DC, but I believe he's in line to get a HC job at some point in the near future...
as a business decision, you have to make the move when your hot (and he certainly is...)
I dont think he'll jump at just any opening, and will make sure its a great fit...thats the benefit of being in the position hes in right now...on top...he can be very picky.

but, I dont see us keeping him for that much longer...i may be cynical, but the coaching career is a very fickle job...you have to strike before something strikes you...

just my opinion of course, and i truly know nothing...
;)

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
This is my opinion as well. I do not think it's out of the realm of possibility that he could take over when Nick Saban retires. I also do not think it's out of the realm of possibility that he's been told: you'll get the job if you stick around. Not in contractual terms, but just a heads up that he's the first in line when Coach Saban leaves.

Either way, he's in a position to be extremely picky and I think he will be. Especially if Muschamp continues to succeed at Florida.
I may be in the minority, but i dont think that he's been told that the jobs yours if you stick around...or anything like that.
The coach in waiting thing has never worked out, and I definitly dont think its a good thing...too many things change too quickly in the college football world...

also, what does it mean if its not written?

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think the head coach in waiting thing at Alabama would be a little presumptuous if we have it in place. Not just because of Nick Saban's retirement someday, but also Mal Moore. It's entirely possible his replacement would not be ok with Kirby as HCiW. Just my thoughts.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
I may be in the minority, but i dont think that he's been told that the jobs yours if you stick around...or anything like that.
The coach in waiting thing has never worked out, and I definitly dont think its a good thing...too many things change too quickly in the college football world...

also, what does it mean if its not written?
bret bielema was hand picked by alvarez to succeed him at Wisconsin and just won two undisputed Big 10 titles b2b and three consecutive rose bowl appearances for first time in school history. it only doesn't work when you have a lame duck like Stewart at WVU or a guy that refuses to retire like head Nitter. It makes for a very clean transition imho...

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
bret bielema was hand picked by alvarez to succeed him at Wisconsin and just won two undisputed Big 10 titles b2b and three consecutive rose bowl appearances for first time in school history. it only doesn't work when you have a lame duck like Stewart at WVU or a guy that refuses to retire like head Nitter. It makes for a very clean transition imho...
Especially if it's internal imo. Like it or not but mass media creates the reality for many people and that's why the coach in waiting failed. Jimbo Fischer and FSU would have been much better off doing it internally, but since it was a hiring lure it was public and everybody wanted to crown the new King at every shortcoming.

If you ever see a hot assistant stop listening to every offer except just the biggie's, maybe he has an internal agreement.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Especially if it's internal imo. Like it or not but mass media creates the reality for many people and that's why the coach in waiting failed. Jimbo Fischer and FSU would have been much better off doing it internally, but since it was a hiring lure it was public and everybody wanted to crown the new King at every shortcoming.

If you ever see a hot assistant stop listening to every offer except just the biggie's, maybe he has an internal agreement.
you guys may very well be right...lord knows i've been wrong a lot of time in my life...

I just think that a coach in waiting is very tough on a program, most times...

to me, it lends itself to complicating the environment around the program more often than not...and given the relationship between a head coach and his coordinators, there is greater potential for issues to arise...especially with a high control coach like Nick Saban...

I think Saban may be grooming him, for sure... but more for a head coaching job away from Bama when he can sharpen his teeth as the head man of a lower profile, but established, program, with a possible return at a future date when Saban is ready to call it quits...
but, i'm not sure he's looking to retire for several more years, at least.

...and of course, that would depend on his success as the front man of a program.
not sure bama would be comfortable turning over the keys to a DC as a first time HC, even if their name was Kirby Smart..

...why wouldt the stature of the program get a proven, established coach when the time arises? we could pretty much get who we wanted with the success of the program right now.
...running a successful defense is a little less complicated than running a sucessful program, especially of the stature of a major program...and juggling the responsibilities that the head coach title brings with it. Giving him the keys this early on just seems like a leap...

maybe it is a internal thing, but I just dont feel it...
just a personal view is all...'preciate your thoughts and comments.

Last edited:

EastLAGator

Sep 26, 2010
I think it's perfectly clear at this point that Smart is waiting for:

1) UGA, or
2) an offer that cannot be refused (I'm not sure this can be defined so much as known when encountered, but two potential near-term openings that jump off the page are Texas and USC)

I have to say one thing about the potential for Smart to ultimately replace Saban: that would be a very long row to hoe and huge shoes to fill. Any missteps or hiccups due to inexperience would likely be examined quite critically under a microscope. He doesn't have the money in the bank with the fans that Coach Saban does, aka hardware. Just think about the coaches after Bryant, some of whom were pretty successful by the standards of other programs. Yet they were failures in comparison to the Bear.

Clearly it would be almost impossible for Smart to turn down the Bama job if offered, but if he had a choice of aspirations, he may prefer to ride to the rescue of a top program in some temporary disarray than continue the legacy of one of the greatest coaches of all time. Replacing a legend is a lot of pressure to step into, particularly for a first time head coach. You can prepare all you like, but nothing can truly prepare you for the pressure you face when you're the guy. It's a different animal.

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I don't think he's itching to leave. But like most people with a job, he has aspirations to move up and prove himself at a higher level. The next logical step would be a head coaching gig in college or a coordinator position in the NFL. And I don't think he will wait around to take over Alabama at some unknown point in the future, nor will he wait forever for the UGA job to open.

The fact that he hasn't left already tells me that he's waiting for the right opportunity. So, I don't think he's itching to leave, but I think he is looking to move up in the coaching world.

tidefaninvr

3rd Team
Sep 15, 2007
I received an ESPN text alert saying that UT is now considering Kirby and Butch Jones and some others. This is per Joe Schad but I cannot find a tweet or an actual link.

Anyone else have any info?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I received an ESPN text alert saying that UT is now considering Kirby and Butch Jones and some others. This is per Joe Schad but I cannot find a tweet or an actual link.

Anyone else have any info?
Tennessee is one of those jobs. Surely they can find an experience head coach.

Sagamore Bill

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma
I have been wondering why Tennessee is having so much trouble finding a coach. They have money, fan base, facilities, etc. Something is going on behind the scenes which is hurting their search, would love to know what it is.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I have been wondering why Tennessee is having so much trouble finding a coach. They have money, fan base, facilities, etc. Something is going on behind the scenes which is hurting their search, would love to know what it is.
Maybe they're all waiting for the Lane Kiffin easter egg to be found before considering it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.