Any concerns about positions in 2014 class?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
With Humphrey and Brown on board, it's hard for me to say that I've got any real outright concerns with this class. I'd like another CB for depth purposes, but that's largely nitpicking. Obviously I'd like to add a high-end pass rusher, but frankly I'm not sure we are ever going to really have a top-flight pass rush at UA until we change defensive schemes, so I'm not really sure "concern" is even the right word for that.

As far as a couple of other positions go:

TE: We didn't get an edge thumper in this class, and it seems fairly obvious to me that we will be going away from this mold in the years ahead. I think we will probably all have to just get used to the idea that, moving forward, more often than not a traditional tight end like Michael Williams is now going to be replaced with a third receiver, or more of receiving tight end like an O.J. Howard. We aren't going back to the days of Walker and McCall as the bookends to the offensive line. The two tight end base package is giving way to a base that features three and four wide receivers on the field.

RB: You know the old phrase about quarterbacks getting all of the attention, hence they get all of the credit and blame? Kind of the same thing applies, in a roundabout way, to tailbacks, especially at a place like Alabama. They get all of the attention and concern, despite how easy it is to find quality tailbacks on the recruiting trail and despite how that position as a whole has been de-emphasized in the modern game and largely made a function of the personnel placed around him. My point is that there shouldn't be any real concern that we didn't get a tailback this season. We're pretty loaded at the position now, tailbacks can play as true freshmen, we won't have any issue grabbing a couple of top tailbacks next year if we need them, and for better or worse the success (or failure) of our tailbacks will ultimately depend mainly on the performance of the offensive line and the effectiveness of the passing game.

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

TE: We didn't get an edge thumper in this class, and it seems fairly obvious to me that we will be going away from this mold in the years ahead. I think we will probably all have to just get used to the idea that, moving forward, more often than not a traditional tight end like Michael Williams is now going to be replaced with a third receiver, or more of receiving tight end like an O.J. Howard. We aren't going back to the days of Walker and McCall as the bookends to the offensive line. The two tight end base package is giving way to a base that features three and four wide receivers on the field.

Saddens me to believe you are correct about that. Even if we had have got Tyler Luatua, he wouldn't have fit that mold either. I love throwing to the tight end, but I love pounding people more. Maybe O.J. will grow into it.

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
I dont see how there can be any concerns over this class. With Humphrey and Brown on board we have sured up our "shakiest" position. Top to bottom this can be viewed as one of the greatest classes ever IMO. The OL talent is off the charts, great QB coming in, stout DL class. This class makes our trenches better as well as provides talent at pretty much every position.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
With Brandon Greene moving there last season, we are ok at TE. We will address it with two in 2015, IMO.
yep, I think we only really went after Blazevich in the '14 class. There are a few that think highly of us in '15 that I hope we can get.

With the addition of MH and. Assuming Williams qualifies, we covered our biggest needs with db's (2 five star CB and 2 top 100 safeties) and OL.

Im not concerned about rb because we already have Flowers committed for '15 and likely to add another. Plus, DH and at least one of the other freshmen will be back in '15. The loss of Whitley means '15 our biggest needs are QB, LB, and te.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
With Brandon Greene moving there last season, we are ok at TE. We will address it with two in 2015, IMO.
Perhaps, but we are going to have to find two who can play very early if we go that route, because Vogler is gone after 2014 and no one knows if Faciane can (1) be a real contributor and/or (2) stay out of the doghouse.

As for Brandon Greene, I haven't the slightest as to what to make of him. People thought very highly of him as an OT, and then suddenly he's a tight end (even if largely if name only) and slimmed down a good 25-30 pounds. I was kind of hoping he would end up back at OT, but the huge OL class we've signed this year tells that won't be the case. FWIW, I think he's fine in the run game, but I just wonder if he can ever develop into a respectable enough receiver to be a viable every-down player, and not just a glorified sixth OL.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Can't even begin to imagine Greene as a viable option as a receiver. His contribution will probably be just what it was this year, unless a tackle gets hurt.
Perhaps, but we are going to have to find two who can play very early if we go that route, because Vogler is gone after 2014 and no one knows if Faciane can (1) be a real contributor and/or (2) stay out of the doghouse.

As for Brandon Greene, I haven't the slightest as to what to make of him. People thought very highly of him as an OT, and then suddenly he's a tight end (even if largely if name only) and slimmed down a good 25-30 pounds. I was kind of hoping he would end up back at OT, but the huge OL class we've signed this year tells that won't be the case. FWIW, I think he's fine in the run game, but I just wonder if he can ever develop into a respectable enough receiver to be a viable every-down player, and not just a glorified sixth OL.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Can't even begin to imagine Greene as a viable option as a receiver. His contribution will probably be just what it was this year, unless a tackle gets hurt.
I can't really imagine it either, though sixteen months ago I could also have never imagined him as dropping a ton of weight and moving to TE. As I admitted above, I really don't have the slightest clue on Greene, and I'm not sure anyone else really does either.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
That's never going to happen. And if we ever start using Howard properly (and perhaps even if we don't), he'll be in the NFL in two years.
LOL I know, just a guy trying to have some hope.

I don't want to go back to the days where we can move it between the twenties, then dink and dunk around instead of powering into the end zone. I am a wear-em-out kind of guy.

That said, I can't express how excited I am about this class, especially in the secondary and on the OL. We will be more than fine.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I agree with the OP. I really wish we would have picked up a TE/H this class. Faciane, Freitag, and Greene are not quite the caliber we are used to. I thought Harrison Jones would be a good option this year, but he rarely played. Not sure what to think about him. Losing Nudie, Jones, and Vogler next year.
We can still pound teams on offense and still go fast. AU was a power running team that went fast. We shouldn't lose our offensive identity just because we want to go faster.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Safety. Assume landon leaves, perry and ja Williams graduate, and we are really thin with only geno smith and jai miller. geno isnt the ideal size, and jai didnt get much work at all last year We play several packages with 4 safeties, so we could really use one more in this class for depth, especially if we loose the kid from ga.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
I haven't noticed any panic. If you are referring to Elam I think you'll find most people who really follow recruiting aren't panicking or even concerned. Kentucky fans are thrilled. But he wasn't going to make or break or class and may not be what we need for the position moving forward since the plan against bama is hunh even if your team isn't built for it.

This class met and exceeded our needs well but could use a te/hb player as you said but that's nit likely to happen. It really wasn't a pressing need though. It is likely to b a priority next year.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Since we seem to be getting away from the MW type TE that would explain why DH wasn't allowed on the field until he could pick up blocks in the backfield. We all saw how badly CyKo was abused by the speed rush. Hopefully this year's group can do a better job. That said, either Coker or BS is a threat to take off if the middle is left exposed.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
BamaIntel is saying that Former UGA TE Ty Flournoy-Smith has a spot in this class if he wants it. He visited last weekend and will visit Louisville this weekend.
I really think he might be one of the spots that is actually taken without saying it. The staff clearly feels solid about the count they have. Then again, Elam may have been one of those as well. Fun, isn't it?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.