"Gus Malzahn hires Ellis Johnson as defensive coordinator"

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
Thoughts?

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/in..._malzahn_hires_elli.html#incart_river_default

"Johnson has a long SEC resume as a defensive coordinator. Johnson, 62, served as Alabama's defensive coordinator from 1997-2000, worked at Mississippi State from 2004-2007 and led South Carolina's defense from 2008 to 2011, turning the Gamecocks into one of the country's most effective units."

"Johnson, who will reportedly make $800,000 per year according to AuburnUndercover.com, was fired as the Southern Miss head coach after a disastrous first year in Hattiesburg that dropped the Golden Eagles from 12-2 in 2011 to 0-12 in 2012."

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Johnson is a good coach if he has talented players to work with.

The biggest challenge Auburn is going to face is finding quality recruits on the defensive side of the ball with teams like UA, LSU, UF, and UGA getting the best players from their respective states.

UAME

All-SEC
Mar 28, 2000
Tuscumbia, AL
I think Ellis Johnson has proven that he can build as solid of a defensive unit as (almost) anyone in the SEC. I am very curious to see how this plays out.

EJ's success/failure at Auburn will be one of the best indicators that we've had for finding an answer to the question, "Is it possible to have a statistically dominant defense coupled with a Hurry-Up, No-Huddle offensive philosophy?"

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Ellis Johnson is a good fit in theory...they'll need to recruit some difference makers at DE to make his system work.

tidefaninvr

3rd Team
Sep 15, 2007
well as DC @ Bama from 97-2000, the tide averaged 6 wins per year and lost both bowl games...

so I would take that with his tenure at AU!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Terrible hire, although his USCe defense did hold Mark Ingram to 246 yards rushing in the 2009 game. He will last 1-2 years; am no fan of Johnson whose only claim to fame is he is a close friend of Dubose.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
good defensive coach and after that disastrous year at USM won't be looked at for a HC job again so probably a good fit for the barners

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I believe Ellis has the taste of a head coach now and I am not sure if he will be the same DC that he was when younger and hungrier at Bama. He is sort of a journeyman retread these days and bombed at Citadel and SM as a HC nad has been only a decent DC in between. This is good new for us.

Not doubt that Ellis was in the pocket along with Gus. Both of these hires are underwhelming. How would you feel if we just hired these two?

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
I heard a caller on Finebaum yesterday that phoned in to rip EJ..stated he had been following USM football for 35 years and he was, without a doubt, the worse head coach he had ever seen. He said EJ admitted the play got worse as the year went along. I know there is a night and day difference between a coordinator and a HC...maybe he's lost his mojo. Player attrition or not, from 12-2 to 0-12 is a nightmare.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
On the balance, he did pretty well at MSU and USCe. Susceptible to the run at times but tough and quick to the football typically.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Terrible hire, although his USCe defense did hold Mark Ingram to 246 yards rushing in the 2009 game. He will last 1-2 years; am no fan of Johnson whose only claim to fame is he is a close friend of Dubose.
I feel the same way. I'm a little curious about the amount of praise he receives from some and the amount of hate he receives from the other. I knew him 20 years ago in his prime. Those may have been his best days.

Bama Fish 86-9

Scout Team
Aug 22, 2010
I think it is a good hire for AU. They get a recognizable name for their DC, someone who knows the state of Alabama, and someone thatthey wont have to worry about someone else trying to steal. Good hire for AU. But not a hire that would have Bama fans worrying.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.