Kirby Smart Reportedly Interviewing With Philadelphia Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollEagles

Jan 8, 2013
@howardeskin:
I'm told #eagles Chip kelly hired oregon Asst HC Jerry Azzinaro as eag DL coach. Todd grantham georia and kirby Smart alabama int 4 DC's
https://twitter.com/howardeskin/status/292043737020895234

Take this tweet with a grain of salt. As an Alabama fan from Philadelphia, I can tell you that Eskin's stories aren't always credible.

But if true, I would be extremely sad. I hope he stays at Alabama.

Also, this is my first post.

ROLL TIDE!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Wouldn't surprise me to see him interviewing for the job - he is as good as it gets - but I WOULD be surprised to see him take the job. That is, unless he prefers the idea of coaching in the NFL (most coaches do).

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Not For Long, as Saban said about the NFL.

I would recommend against him hitching his wagon to the Chip Kelly offense despite a clear promotion.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Wouldn't surprise me to see him interviewing for the job - he is as good as it gets - but I WOULD be surprised to see him take the job. That is, unless he prefers the idea of coaching in the NFL (most coaches do).
The only thing which gives me pause is that CNS has taken full advantage of his NFL experience, more as a defensive assistant than his brief stint as a HC. OTOH, it's just a matter of time until Smart gets a FBS HC offer himself. You can argue that an assistantship in the NFL might even delay that because of visibility. In one of the bigger laughs lately, a poster on another site C&Ped a quote from the AU site "The Bunker," where one poster was saying that our defense was all Smart and that Saban didn't do anything. (I've cleaned up his language.) He went on to say that we'd fall apart when Smart moved on. It's hard to argue with delusion when it's married with ignorance and blind optimism...

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
This is likely more practice interviewing, which Saban encourages his assistants to do. To my knowledge, this is his first NFL style interview, so it's good practice.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I can't see this happen for a reason.... If he goes to NFL and kinda struggle up there, it could hurt him as far as HC coaching opportunities ... I would definitely be careful about this... Several more lucurative HC jobs in college ranks will open up next week, and he is most likely will get an offer... so I would sit tight and wait one more year if I were him.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, I think the least enviable coordinator positions in college are opposite a HC/OC who wants to play with a lot of pace on offense. You'll undoubtedly be on the field a lot which wears down the players and evaporates any element of surprise in the playcalls by the second half.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
I've got no problem with him leaving whenever for whatever. He didn't invent football and is certainly not the only outstanding DC/assistant in the world for Pete's sake!

If this is what he wants then he needs to take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.